Login / Register

Mercury AM16 (Langevin AM16 reissue) Anyone try it?
New Reply
Subscribe
C/G
10th January 2006
Old 10th January 2006
Lives for gear

Mercury AM16 (Langevin AM16 reissue) Anyone try it?

Just curious about the Mercury AM16 reissue/tribute being done by Mercury Recording from Marquette Audio Labs. I am wondering if anyone has heard or used it yet. If so, what does it shine on?
10th January 2006
Old 10th January 2006
Lives for gear

Well if the Sowter transformers are a direct sounding replacement to the originals and if Dave took all of his AM-16 knowledge and put it into the unit then I would be they sound fantastic.

I have four originals and I love them on drums, Electric gtr, and vocals. They are a clean but ballsy mic pre that has just the right balance of character. Different than API and not anything like Neve but just a great rock solid pre.

The design is super clean and simple in the originals. I always felt the input and output transformers gave it a big part of its sound (Duh, probably could be said with any old classic pre) so I would bet that they will be a big difference in the tone.

Just my .02 but I would love to compare them.

Michael Greene
C/G
11th January 2006
Old 11th January 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks Michael. I am not sure what brand of transformers David is putting in there. He did say this is the "sleeper" of the new Mercury line and one of his favorites.
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
Gear addict

Why don't Mercury cop any flack for "COPPYING AND CLONING" ... nothing inovative here ...
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Thats a good question. I would guess that its because Langevin and Tab/Telefunken V series pre's haven't been made in 30-35 years.

Just my guess,
Michael Greene
C/G
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymite
Why don't Mercury cop any flack for "COPPYING AND CLONING" ... nothing inovative here ...
Well, it is slighly innovative since they are recreating a "modern" version with 48v, adjustable pad, output attenuator, FET DI and you can run line level through it.

They don't get any flack because there is no "N" word thrown in there.
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Well, it is slighly innovative since they are recreating a "modern" version with 48v, adjustable pad, output attenuator, FET DI and you can run line level through it.

They don't get any flack because there is no "N" word thrown in there.
as I recall... the AM-16 was a module... it came from a console ... so u may as well add 24 volts to the inovation along with std. sized rack case...

as for the "N" word ... it goes to show what kind of drop kicks are out there ...

"Thats a good question. I would guess that its because Langevin and Tab/Telefunken V series pre's haven't been made in 30-35 years.

Just my guess,
Michael Greene" ... so what ???
C/G
8th March 2006
Old 8th March 2006
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=tonymite]as I recall... the AM-16 was a module... it came from a console ... so u may as well add 24 volts to the inovation along with std. sized rack case... [QUOTE]

I figured that was obvious. I would still like to hear one, as well as an original, side by side.
5th January 2008
Old 5th January 2008
Gear addict

Mercury AM16 and Grand Pre

I have them both. To my ears, the AM 16 has that 1950-62 classy/refined sound. Velvety and outstanding on vocals. The Grand Pre has a more present upper mid color to it and was exceptional at handling fast transient peaks. Exceptional for horns and the like. Good on grand piano.

In store, I A/B'd them against a Germanium, Great River MP 2NV, Focusrite Red 8, and the UA silverface.

Not only did they hold their own against the aforementioned that I liked them so much that I walked out with two of them. I found that they had character and did not sound like the rest of the pack.

I record mostly smooth jazz, and the Germanium while it may find a home in the rock world where grit is desired, I found that it came in dead last for my desired applications.

The Great River is not bad either.

Clean, classic/timeless, solid are the three words that come to mind when I think of the AM 16. Absolutely amazing on vocals. That is if you want that smooth, measured, velvety, Nat King Cole kind of sound. Also, great on upright bass.

They speaks of class with little coloration or purposeful noise, in contrast to the Germanium.

Mercury says that the Grand Pre has a more British sound to it. I guess that it does.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel here. Quality sounds that have a timeless feeling to them is how I would describe them. Yeah.. I'm still in the love affair mode with both of them.
These things are built to last. I give them 5 bananas out of 5 dfegad

I refrain from getting into Neve debates of any sort. To each their own.

You might enjoy the Mercury difference. Who knows?

Cheers,

UV out
5th January 2008
Old 5th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outUVphaze View Post
I have them both. To my ears, the AM 16 has that 1950-62 classy/refined sound. Velvety and outstanding on vocals. The Grand Pre has a more present upper mid color to it and was exceptional at handling fast transient peaks. Exceptional for horns and the like. Good on grand piano.

In store, I A/B'd them against a Germanium, Great River MP 2NV, Focusrite Red 8, and the UA silverface.

Not only did they hold their own against the aforementioned that I liked them so much that I walked out with two of them. I found that they had character and did not sound like the rest of the pack.

I record mostly smooth jazz, and the Germanium while it may find a home in the rock world where grit is desired, I found that it came in dead last for my desired applications.

The Great River is not bad either.

Clean, classic/timeless, solid are the three words that come to mind when I think of the AM 16. Absolutely amazing on vocals. That is if you want that smooth, measured, velvety, Nat King Cole kind of sound. Also, great on upright bass.

They speaks of class with little coloration or purposeful noise, in contrast to the Germanium.

Mercury says that the Grand Pre has a more British sound to it. I guess that it does.

There is no need to reinvent the wheel here. Quality sounds that have a timeless feeling to them is how I would describe them. Yeah.. I'm still in the love affair mode with both of them.
These things are built to last. I give them 5 bananas out of 5 dfegad

I refrain from getting into Neve debates of any sort. To each their own.

You might enjoy the Mercury difference. Who knows?

Cheers,

UV out
I could be wrong but I think that the "Grand Pre" is Davids Neve Clone. Thus the reference to the "British Sound" The one we were talking about is his actual AM-16 clone

Marquette Audio Labs

Marquette Audio Labs: Mercury Recording Equipment Company: Mercury Grand Pre Studio Microphone Amplifer

I really like your review of the Grand Pre though. It does give food for thought.

Michael Greene
5th January 2008
Old 5th January 2008
Gear maniac

The way I read it, he heard both the AM16 and the Grand Pre, and then bought a pair of the AM16, but we'll find out...

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
I could be wrong but I think that the "Grand Pre" is Davids Neve Clone. Thus the reference to the "British Sound" The one we were talking about is his actual AM-16 clone

Marquette Audio Labs

Marquette Audio Labs: Mercury Recording Equipment Company: Mercury Grand Pre Studio Microphone Amplifer

I really like your review of the Grand Pre though. It does give food for thought.

Michael Greene
5th January 2008
Old 5th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischultz View Post
The way I read it, he heard both the AM16 and the Grand Pre, and then bought a pair of the AM16, but we'll find out...

Michael
I think your right. That is what I get for reading the response from my IPHONE!!! Must magnify.

I still would like some clarification if the user has had a chance to compare them next to a real, well racked set of AM-16's.

At $1650.00 a pair they are actually getting as cheap as a pair of modules off of ebay and then having someone professional rack them. If they do sound the same then they would be a good deal. If I get some change in the next few months maybe I should buy a pair and test them against my 4 real AM-16's.

Michael Greene
6th January 2008
Old 6th January 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
I think your right. That is what I get for reading the response from my IPHONE!!! Must magnify.

I still would like some clarification if the user has had a chance to compare them next to a real, well racked set of AM-16's.

At $1650.00 a pair they are actually getting as cheap as a pair of modules off of ebay and then having someone professional rack them. If they do sound the same then they would be a good deal. If I get some change in the next few months maybe I should buy a pair and test them against my 4 real AM-16's.

Michael Greene

Yeah, I bought a pair of the AM 16's.

I have not had the opportunity to A/B them against the originals, (side by side). I had worked with the Langevin a fair bit (years ago) and I am not stricken by anything that speaks of a cheap clone or a cheap imposter.

David put some time into these and it shows.

The Mercury's sound like the real deal, IMHO.

Cheers,dfegad
10th February 2008
Old 10th February 2008
Gear interested

Mercury Grand Pre

Hey sluts... this is my first post here on GS, and will undoubtedly not be my last.

I just picked up a Mercury Grand Pre GP1 today and have been fiddling with it for the past few hours to get a feel for what it's capable of, in a vocal application at least. Now, based on what I've researched and read in reviews, It's been said that this pre has a pretty broad spectrum of colour that it can provide based on the way you set the input gain versus output gain. They weren't lying. It took a bit of trial and error to get the "sound" I was looking for, but I found it nevertheless. This pre can give you an edgy punchy sound or a rounded, warm settled sound. Quite versatile in fact. I was a bit nervous laying out the cash for this unit, especially since it's tough to get a lot of info and feedback about it and considering it's not as popular as many other "brand" names. But... I took the gamble, and came out a winner.
I'm feeding the pre with a Rode Classic II then finishing things of with a Summit TLA to keep things under control (No inserts on the pre by the way). No eq in the chain. Just straight to my Rosetta. Finding the right gain settings on the Mercury was very satisfying. The Classic II can be somewhat bright, but I like the sizzle, and the Mercury tones down the brightness a bit while letting the warm sizzle come through. And, with some moderate compression from the TLA, it sounds spectacular. I'm extremely pleased. I still have to try my Neumann TLM 49 and see what results I get. But all in all, this is a smokin pre that is worth every single penny. And it's damn cheap considering.

"I'd rather go nowhere fast than to take my time doing it with you"

1st May 2008
Old 1st May 2008
Gear maniac

Question for OutUVPhaze

I am ressurecting this thread as I had a few questions for UV. First of all, thank you for your input regarding the AM16's. I know you had said you were basically in a love affair with the AM16's when you first got them, I was just curious how they are treating you still? I am interested in picking up a few myself, and was curious how you have grown into them. Do you find them as great as you did then? Have you found any really great alternative uses or varieties you have accomplished using them? I would love to hear any other stories or experiences you have had with them! Thank you! All the best... Hopefully this post won't get lost in the wash!

Cheers.

1st May 2008
Old 1st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I think the Grand was his spin on a Calrec unit.

I have several Mercury pieces. Quite nice stuff.
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyinthebox View Post
I am ressurecting this thread as I had a few questions for UV. First of all, thank you for your input regarding the AM16's. I know you had said you were basically in a love affair with the AM16's when you first got them, I was just curious how they are treating you still? I am interested in picking up a few myself, and was curious how you have grown into them. Do you find them as great as you did then? Have you found any really great alternative uses or varieties you have accomplished using them? I would love to hear any other stories or experiences you have had with them! Thank you! All the best... Hopefully this post won't get lost in the wash!

Cheers.

Hey!

So a few months later, I still have a thing for the AM16. It along with the Blue Cactus remains my setup for upright bass. My Great Rivers remain as my pre of choice along with the EQ2NV for eq on piano.

I would not evethink of putting an AM16 on a high hat. It's no where near transparent. It remains a very colored pre and kills on upright bass.

For a vintage horn sound with the u47, it's still quite good.

I know of some guys who are not thrilled with the AM 16, as in "it's like pulling sound through a sponge". I have heard that comment a few times.

The M72 is one killer pre from Dave Marquette and his boys at Mercury. More money, but Jeezus what a preamp!

Nathan at Atlas Pro Audio is a good duy to talk to about these pre's. He knows them well.

The AM 16 is one of those flavor pre's. It's like a dash of salt. In the right spot it can offer something quite interesting.

In my rig at the moment, I have

2 M72's (4 channels)
2 AM 16's (2 channels)
2 1073 DPA's (4 channels)
4 Great River's (8 channels)

On horn I go u47>STA LEVEL> GR or massive Passive EQ>Distressor
or
u47> 2Gefell m930 (45 degrees off 7 to 10 feet back)
u47 through the AM16
m930 through the GR

The AM 16 cuts down the middle while the GR with the 930's gives me some stereo imaging that is much more subdued. In my world the GR is on eof the least colored pre's that I use.

I am one of those nuts who believes in room sounds versus digital rev. SO there are mics all over the place.

Vocal first, then everything else gets mixed in around the vocal.

For vocals I go back and forth between the M72, the 1073 DPA, and the AM16.
I like the GR for piano and room.

I still think that the AM 16 is a very good "classic" sounding pre. At that price point, it's a good piece.

Yeah, I still am on the band wagon. The thing is built like a tank.

Not a pre for rock music IMHO. I'd go GR for rock. Tighter, faster, a little more reserved than the AM16. Not as "out there". What the heck does that mean?

The Mids are dominant on the AM16. There is no way around it. It's a flavor thing.

I would not put one on a kick drum in some rock/metal thing. It would fail miserably under those circumstances.

Hope this helps more than it confuses.

I will always have one of these on my rack, it's a color that I need for either horn or upright bass for certain.

I might be selling one AM 16 mono as I am going to be picking up a DW Fearn and I cannot keep everything. A couple of mics are going as well. Don't know which yet.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

dfegad
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Well if the Sowter transformers are a direct sounding replacement to the originals and if Dave took all of his AM-16 knowledge and put it into the unit then I would be they sound fantastic.

I have four originals and I love them on drums, Electric gtr, and vocals. They are a clean but ballsy mic pre that has just the right balance of character. Different than API and not anything like Neve but just a great rock solid pre.

The design is super clean and simple in the originals. I always felt the input and output transformers gave it a big part of its sound (Duh, probably could be said with any old classic pre) so I would bet that they will be a big difference in the tone.

Just my .02 but I would love to compare them.

Michael Greene
Very good and subtle answer.The originals used Peerless if I recall correctly.The Sowters are perhaps the best modern replacement you could find but if you are looking to match the sound , I'd suggest you look for an old module
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bit mangler View Post
Very good and subtle answer.The originals used Peerless if I recall correctly.The Sowters are perhaps the best modern replacement you could find but if you are looking to match the sound , I'd suggest you look for an old module
I still need to find the desire and money to pick up one of Dave's units. I have 4 original modules and love them. I personally don't find them spongey or cloudy at all but to each his own.

I agree about the transformers though. They make up a huge part of the sound and they would have to be pretty dang close to match the sound of these units.

I really wish Dave would chime in here and make some comments. even if they are from the builder.

Michael Greene
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
I still need to find the desire and money to pick up one of Dave's units. I have 4 original modules and love them. I personally don't find them spongey or cloudy at all but to each his own.

I agree about the transformers though. They make up a huge part of the sound and they would have to be pretty dang close to match the sound of these units.

I really wish Dave would chime in here and make some comments. even if they are from the builder.

Michael Greene
Hi guys,

I am not saying that I find them to be cloudy or spongy. I have heard such comments from others, and I am not referring to the original I am referring to the Mercury Am16.

Can someone pm Dave and have him chime in?

Cheers

dfegad
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi guys,

I am not saying that I find them to be cloudy or spongy. I have heard such comments from others, and I am not referring to the original I am referring to the Mercury Am16.

Can someone pm Dave and have him chime in?

Cheers

dfegad
Sorry I misread your post. Thats what happens when your doing 20 things at once. Well that makes me curious. Dave certainly knows a lot about the Langevin stuff so now I am really curious how they compare.

Mike
2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear maniac

Thanks UV!

Thank you kindly UV for sharing your experiences and for reviewing the AM16! I greatly appreciate it. It definitly helped and IMHO was not confusing at all. You definitly shed some light on some questions and curiousities I had regarding this unit, and gave some very solid advice. This unit has somewhat intrigued me for awhile, and it is a big bonus to hear some user feedback and thoughts regarding it. Again, thank you kindly for chiming in again and for sharing your thoughts and experiences! It was very helpful! I wish you the best, and look forward to chatting in the future.

Cheers!

2nd May 2008
Old 2nd May 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Sorry I misread your post. Thats what happens when your doing 20 things at once. Well that makes me curious. Dave certainly knows a lot about the Langevin stuff so now I am really curious how they compare.

Mike
20 things at a time????

I would vote for running all heavy tasks (laundry, taxes etc...)to the same mono bus, run them through a brickwall limiter (they will then seem like one thing). Keep the fun task on seperate channels and EQ them to taste, salt and vinegar chips could also bode well for such an endeavour.

Cheers MJ!

UV
3rd May 2008
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
20 things at a time????

I would vote for running all heavy tasks (laundry, taxes etc...)to the same mono bus, run them through a brickwall limiter (they will then seem like one thing). Keep the fun task on seperate channels and EQ them to taste, salt and vinegar chips could also bode well for such an endeavour.

Cheers MJ!

UV
LMAO. I will have to try that. Good suggestions.

To many sessions close together with a lot of players. Hey its work and fun work but finding time for the little things like sleep, wife, kids has been hard to come by the last 2 months.

It has to slow down or the wife and kids are going to hit the wall.

Michael Greene
3rd May 2008
Old 3rd May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Michael Greene
Hey Mike, post up if you do end up getting one of Dave's units. I don't find the originals spongy or cloudy at all either- they are some of my fav pre's period.
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Banned

I'm really interested in the mercury AM16, does anyone have any sound clips of this unit?
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgyptionRing View Post
I'm really interested in the mercury AM16, does anyone have any sound clips of this unit?
I second this request.
4th November 2009
Old 4th November 2009
Lives for gear

i can put up a song that was completely recorded with am16's from mercury and a distressor.

it sounds great to me, but im biased, as it is my own work.

but overall, it captured the music wonderfully.

since this unit has been out, it seems to have not been so popular.

i would have thought that a product offering something vintage vibe outside of the neve and api realm would have sold more, but i think everyone still wants neve and api sounds.
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

I've been told the new transformers are much cleaner and more full range than the originals. Could be good or bad, depending on expectations. I'd like to compare myself.

The Altec 9470 and 9475 are a similar pre from the same designer as the original AM-16, from the same time period, with better transformers by Peerless. I would imagine they fall in between the sound of the original and reissue AM-16's.

The original Langevin transformers were made in house.

Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73
5th November 2009
Old 5th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post
i can put up a song that was completely recorded with am16's from mercury and a distressor.

it sounds great to me, but im biased, as it is my own work.

but overall, it captured the music wonderfully.

since this unit has been out, it seems to have not been so popular.

i would have thought that a product offering something vintage vibe outside of the neve and api realm would have sold more, but i think everyone still wants neve and api sounds.
Please share, I would like to hear.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search