For a while now Ive been thinking how to upgrade my studio, and want to have a better mixer(mackie 32/8 now). I can save money for a while and get me an used analog console for maybe 12000 usd(this is gone take a while) or I have the possability to buy an Sony DMX 100r for 5000 usd.
My setup is DAW P4 3.2 (2gig ram,2*SATA + IDE for system) with Cubase SX2 and UAD1, Layla 24/96 and AI3 for extra inputs/outputs. 2 * DBX 266 , Art Pro VLA , TL audio Fat 2 , NTK mic ,TLM-103 , Focusrite ISA 220 , TC M-ONE , Yamaha REV 500 , Sony DPS V55 , Alesis Midiverb 4 , KRK K-rock monitors , JV 2080 + exp, EMU proteus 2000+ MOphatt+Orbit v2 Nordrack 2 ,Novation Basstation , Drumsstation. Atmosphere and stylus RMX, Halion 2.
I was thinking how about mix in the box instead ? I dont now if this will work. ( of course upgrade to SX3)
Connect my synths to my audiocards inputs / ev thru patchbay
Connect my Efx Thru my Audiocard
How to to with the compressors I dont now ?
If this is works I probably by an Fireface 800 instead and maybe an extra UAD-1 card.
1. How about latency when connectiong external efx ?
2. Today I use Direct monitoring, Can I still use it with the new setup ?
3. Will my DAW use more CPU power by using this setup ?
4. Are there any known issues about this setup ? Latency ? Other ?
5. How about sound quality ? Improved or worse vs Mackie 32/8
6. If I use Direct monitorng can I put Efx on my synths directly ? ( vsti efx)
7. I probably must by a control station or something. Wich Big knob, Presouns etc ?
If someone could sort this out I would be more than happy, this problem is breaking me down. I dont like to use the mouse to mix with, but if It will bring me more soundquality then ok, and considering when working with a lot of songs at the same time its really hard setting all the knobs back and forth on my mackie 32/8 + compressor etc.
Here is a little clip of my sound
Thanks and Regards Rob