Going from Analog Console to ITB ?
New Reply
Subscribe
RobDex
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Gear Head

Going from Analog Console to ITB ?

For a while now Ive been thinking how to upgrade my studio, and want to have a better mixer(mackie 32/8 now). I can save money for a while and get me an used analog console for maybe 12000 usd(this is gone take a while) or I have the possability to buy an Sony DMX 100r for 5000 usd.

My setup is DAW P4 3.2 (2gig ram,2*SATA + IDE for system) with Cubase SX2 and UAD1, Layla 24/96 and AI3 for extra inputs/outputs. 2 * DBX 266 , Art Pro VLA , TL audio Fat 2 , NTK mic ,TLM-103 , Focusrite ISA 220 , TC M-ONE , Yamaha REV 500 , Sony DPS V55 , Alesis Midiverb 4 , KRK K-rock monitors , JV 2080 + exp, EMU proteus 2000+ MOphatt+Orbit v2 Nordrack 2 ,Novation Basstation , Drumsstation. Atmosphere and stylus RMX, Halion 2.

I was thinking how about mix in the box instead ? I dont now if this will work. ( of course upgrade to SX3)

Connect my synths to my audiocards inputs / ev thru patchbay
Connect my Efx Thru my Audiocard
How to to with the compressors I dont now ?

If this is works I probably by an Fireface 800 instead and maybe an extra UAD-1 card.

Questions !

1. How about latency when connectiong external efx ?
2. Today I use Direct monitoring, Can I still use it with the new setup ?
3. Will my DAW use more CPU power by using this setup ?
4. Are there any known issues about this setup ? Latency ? Other ?
5. How about sound quality ? Improved or worse vs Mackie 32/8
6. If I use Direct monitorng can I put Efx on my synths directly ? ( vsti efx)
7. I probably must by a control station or something. Wich Big knob, Presouns etc ?

If someone could sort this out I would be more than happy, this problem is breaking me down. I dont like to use the mouse to mix with, but if It will bring me more soundquality then ok, and considering when working with a lot of songs at the same time its really hard setting all the knobs back and forth on my mackie 32/8 + compressor etc.

Here is a little clip of my sound

Thanks and Regards Rob
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Lives for gear

Up

Hi friend, i think like you, mib or console. So many ppl in this worry.
Mackye console have good sound, but if you want upgrade, try another console, like some digital ? If you had your money, i go to yamaha 02r 96 digital and good pendulum quartet 2 mic pre. I dont like mouse mixing, but so many ppl do this and mix sound good too. Or a new Toft analog console...
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Gear Head

Thanks No4PCs

Its truely a dilemma.

The thing is if I change Idont wanna spend time on latency problems and other things like that. It must work otherwise I can stay in my setup.

Regardz Rob
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Gear maniac

cubase sx3 has full latency compensation even for external hardware inserts.
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Lives for gear

Up

Hi friend, i think always when we change equipment, we will spend more time to re-learn how the new thing work...but with your analog console you knows how get the best sounds . Tube pre amplifiers is good for work in consoles, the sound fat.
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

From my own personal experience, I would rather keep using your mackie than get into any fully digital mixing option available at any price point.

6-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, March 3-8, 2014
2-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, March 15-16, 2014
6-day Recording Boot Camp in a Villa in North ITALY, June 2-7, 2014

8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm
From my own personal experience, I would rather keep using your mackie than get into any fully digital mixing option available at any price point.
I would tend to disagree. I've had all the 8 buss consoles that lurk in the used marketpalce - found that ITB (with great AD) is cleaner and has better fidelity than all the cheapo analog boards. There's some great warming plugs that will get you closer to the analog sound we all want...

Not sure at what point an analog console rivals ITB cleanliness, but it sure isn't the mackie/tascam/ghost. Yes, the can add stuff to the party with a tad bit better separation and outboard FX, but IMO also bring mud and clouds to the mix.
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Lives for gear

Manley mixer

A friend of mine have a Manley tube mixer. He making good mixers huh ?
tutt
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Gear nut

Your list of concerns may be overridden by the need to mix and keep everything ITB if you are running a for-hire studio and clients expect instant recallability of their mixes and their projects when they return for overdubs, etc. Since I installed a PT system four years ago, only one client has opted for a mix using the console and outboard fx. In my situation, they will opt for convenience, and if the mix sounds good, which is possible going ITB, then the client is happy. Of course, YMMV.
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Gear interested

a little bit off-topic maybe, but does anyone know if logic pro 6 (not 7) has latency compensation for external hardware inserts? I want to use some outboard with my friend's motu pci2403 MKII card..

H
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDex
I have the possability to buy an Sony DMX 100r for 5000 usd.
We use a Sony DMX at our commercial studio along with PT HD2 and I love the sound of the DMX. But, the problem with the Sony, is that it is aging and the entire studio is wired for the 48 channels of the DMX, so we can't go 96k with it. (I think that the ADAT cards are limited to 48K also). So we are stuck at 48k. But, I had a Mackie 32-8 at home and the DMX is lightyears ahead of the Mackie in terms of sound. The Sony compression and eq on the DMX are very nice.

Quote:
5. How about sound quality ? Improved or worse vs Mackie 32/8
Your sound quality is only as good as your weakest link and the Mackie 32/8, while delivering a great home sound in 1995, is old and dated now. I got rid of mine and starting recording and mixing in the box and I have never looked back or been happier. Sold the Mackie on ebay for $1200.

Quote:
7. I probably must by a control station or something. Wich Big knob, Presouns etc ?
The Presonus Central Station is a good value for the price point.

Quote:
I dont like to use the mouse to mix with, but if It will bring me more soundquality then ok, and considering when working with a lot of songs at the same time its really hard setting all the knobs back and forth on my mackie 32/8 + compressor etc.
Get a controller! They rock! There have been some serious discussions here about how a controller makes your mixes sound better than a mixing with a mouse.

I went the ITB/Controller route and I am so happy that I didn't get a Sony DMX. The Sony DMX is a good call if all you are going to do is replace a Mackie (and the Sony has analog cards installed).

Good luck.
RobDex
8th January 2006
Old 8th January 2006
Gear Head

Thanks for replies !

My studio is not for hire its only I who use it. Okay controller + maybe better soundcard should do it. But how do you guys that mix ITB do ? For instance I have a synth is it going live with midi or do you instant record it ?

Thanks guys for all replies and tips !

Regardz Rob
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search