New Reply
Subscribe
18th April 2011
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLibraryStudio View Post
Could you tell me EXACTLY how you have your SMPTE hooked up?

I am trying to work out the wiring on my Elite but am having problems. I have identified a TC input on a DB25 connector on the back of the console. However, I can't work out how this is then routed into the server. After looking at the schematics I worked out that I can probably ignore the console connector and go straight into the PC server - my server has a 'External i/o' DB25 connector that according to the diagram has TC in on pins 16(+), 17(-) ,18(ground).

I played back 30fps SMPTE from my DAW to this DB25 connector and the comm light on my desk has become permanently illuminated! Something is not right - it certainly doesn't sync up with Eagle automation. The comms light doesn't go off until I take the DB25 connector off the 'External i/o' PC server input.

any suggestions? How is everyone else doing it?
I believe there's a db 25 on 1 side xlr connector on the other side cable. one side db 25 goes to the patchbay, the xlr side goes to the server. I patch out of the MTP or my 2" into the tc in on my patch bay. I would go direct from the MTP to the xlr tc in on the server computer and see of that works. It also sounds like you have the wrong pins wired on the server computer for the tc
26th May 2011
Old 26th May 2011
Gear interested

Options for parting out Concept Elite+

Hey guys, I have a 40 channel Concept Elite+ with Eagle automation and am looking to get anything I can for it. Any of you guys interested in replacement parts/channel strips? Hopefully looking to part it out.
2nd August 2011
Old 2nd August 2011
Gear interested

Hi,I'm really interested on your message about spare parts for Otari Elite.
Please contact me as soon as possible. Thanks.
28th December 2011
Old 28th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I posted this on another thread also sorry for the repeat,
Any Eagle automation users here? I just got Eagle and installed, there are a few things that I can't seem to make sense of in the manual, On diskmix you could take a snapshot with out tc running and save it, you didn't even need to be in diskmix, I had some snapshots that were very useful for me like 1 for tracking where say aux 1&2 got used for a cue mix and were pre fader and the other sends weren't, or where I reversed the input on the first 24 channels depending on whether I was using my tape deck or DAW for those inputs. Also is there a way to scroll the view with a key shortcut, Eagle only show 36 of my 40 faders and it's a pita to use the mouse for that. I posted the sam
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Gear interested

Hi!
I'm working in a studio that has a Otari Elite+, and i would like to know if anyone has an operation and maintenance manual in pdf. or knows where I can get one.
TER
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
TER
Gear maniac

I have schematics in PDF form. I can e-mail them to you, just drop me a line.

tom@thomaseaton.com

me thomas eaton recording
my place universal noise storage
and will ackerman's imaginary road studios
19th April 2012
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatodasGotas View Post
Hi!
I'm working in a studio that has a Otari Elite+, and i would like to know if anyone has an operation and maintenance manual in pdf. or knows where I can get one.
I have a few in PDF pm me and I'll get them to you
26th April 2012
Old 26th April 2012
Gear interested

Send a message via Skype™ to beastmastering
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Gear interested

Looking for a channel schematic. If anyone has one that would be cool!
17th May 2012
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynsi View Post
Looking for a channel schematic. If anyone has one that would be cool!
try Tom Eaton, look a few posts up
1st September 2012
Old 1st September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

For you eagle users, what do you do for backing up mix data? Floppys are really hard to find and pretty tedious. Is there cd burning software that will reliably work without screwing with Eagle?
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

Hey all.
I am looking at picking up an elite. 40 channel with patch bay but no dynamics or flying faders... Also comes with 2 additional PSU's and fridge sized road case of looms of cabling to wall mount input bays-dsub etc...I have a feeling the wiring package is worth more than the console. I also have a line on an additional 32 strips of the same, an extra computer and 2 more PSU's for very cheap. Shipping will cost more than the parts.
My query is this:
I run a digital studio with many analog pieces as a back end (Dangerous summing box>SSL Bus compressor...) I have great pres up front (vintage 1064's)..
ARE THE ELITE PRE's ANY GOOD, COLOUR?
WILL THIS BE A BETTER SUMMING SOLUTION THAN MY DANGEROUS SET UP?
HOW CLUNKY WILL IT BE TO RUN OFF PTOOLS GENERATED SMPTE and RECALL FOR MIXING
WILL THIS BE A DECENT INVESTMENT? (Under $7k before shipping) given that its my first large format console...
I have the room for it but am not sure its worth all the added expense of shipping and maintenance.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks so much.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Boy View Post
Hey all.
I am looking at picking up an elite. 40 channel with patch bay but no dynamics or flying faders... Also comes with 2 additional PSU's and fridge sized road case of looms of cabling to wall mount input bays-dsub etc...I have a feeling the wiring package is worth more than the console. I also have a line on an additional 32 strips of the same, an extra computer and 2 more PSU's for very cheap. Shipping will cost more than the parts.
My query is this:
I run a digital studio with many analog pieces as a back end (Dangerous summing box>SSL Bus compressor...) I have great pres up front (vintage 1064's)..
WILL THIS BE A DECENT INVESTMENT? (Under $7k before shipping) given that its my first large format console...
I have the room for it but am not sure its worth all the added expense of shipping and maintenance.
Thanks so much.
here's what I recall Soren Wittrup telling me, the elite has nicer eq than the C1.
It has image recall which is like SSL style recall of console settings, the C1 pre's are discrete, the Elite's are not, they had to give up that extra real estate
for the recall. Personally I find mixing on a big console a more satisfying experience than mixing ITB, you might find the same, also day to day things like having different routing setups for tracking and or mixing are there at the touch of a button. Personally I prefer the moving faders but the vca only system is a lower maintenance system.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Hey all.
My query is this:
Thanks so much.

Is it a 20 strip unit or 40 dual strip unit?

FWIW i just picked up a 48 dual strip, (96 input) elite with dynamics and automation and a huge patchbay and full wiring package pre soldered d-subs etc ready to run to radar machines, a complete plug and play system in perfect condition with extra hovernet, puter, imaged os drive for 10k.

Same here, i thought the wire and solder time were worth at least half that cost.

btw You can switch the vca's on or off per channel if you want to sum.
I have not set it up yet so i cannot comment on the sound.
Are you in Canada? CBC board?
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

40 strip. In Canada yes. CBC? Whats that? Jokes. Yeah its out of one of their mobile trucks. Still not convinced here. I dont want to go down a maintenance highway unless it sounds good. The price is so low that it scares me a bit.
I have worked on a couple of vintage large format consoles before and love the results, but those places had a maintenance staff...
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
40 strip. In Canada yes. CBC? Whats that? Jokes. Yeah its out of one of their mobile trucks. Still not convinced here. I dont want to go down a maintenance highway unless it sounds good. The price is so low that it scares me a bit.
I have worked on a couple of vintage large format consoles before and love the results, but those places had a maintenance staff...
It doesn't require maintenance. Ask the CBC guys. Maybe the power supplies but they are generic. There are no mechanical switches on it to go screwy and they are too new to need recapping. I spoke with the fellow who ran the Winnipeg one extensively and he had nothing but positive things to say about it mechanically and sonically. They were bought new.
It's no 8068 but it does a lot of good shit.
There was an issue with the eq mounts but mine was addressed as i am sure the one you are looking at was too.
The thing is it couldn't have been better maintained, cbc do shit right.
I'm excited as hell about mine.
Pm me if you need any specific info.

BTW are you sure it doesn't have automation?
I thought all the Elites did.

Last edited by GreenNeedle; 3rd January 2013 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: added comment
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNeedle View Post

BTW are you sure it doesn't have automation?
I thought all the Elites did.
of course it does, if he doesn't get the computer with Eagle the console won't work
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear addict

It seems the hover net card is the only factor, the computers and software are easy to find.
3rd January 2013
Old 3rd January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

there is a specific chip set required to reliably run Eagle, and the latest OS you can run is Win98SE, so it's not so easy, but yeah without the hovernet forget it
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear interested

One of the two consoles has the computer and software with it. Would still love to hear what someone thinks of the pre on these strips...
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
One of the two consoles has the computer and software with it. Would still love to hear what someone thinks of the pre on these strips...
the elite pre's are chip pre's the Concept1's are discrete, neither console to my knowledge was really known for it's pre's, rather the automation, and recall and nice clean sound. But I would think the C1's pre's probably sound better, but the eq on the Elite is supposed to be nicer. One thing you'll notice is how much better the console hit's your outboard gear.
4th January 2013
Old 4th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Hey i went to your web site and you have a rack of Neves!!
Fergetabout the otari preamps.

That said,

Jim Williams has a chip you could install for $125 per channel here Audio Upgrades
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear interested

Oh yes...the power and the glory, love the 1064s. As far as the Otari CE goes I am mostly looking for summing console so I think I will grab these two. Will solve some of my monitoring issues too. I just dont get why they are so cheap.
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Oh yes...the power and the glory, love the 1064s. As far as the Otari CE goes I am mostly looking for summing console so I think I will grab these two. Will solve some of my monitoring issues too. I just dont get why they are so cheap.
I'll keep you in mind as a spare strip source!
5th January 2013
Old 5th January 2013
Gear addict

You can get a 72 channel Neve VR for 50k, they were 900k new.
So the 120k new otari now at 7 k is a similar value drop.
Worth roughly 5% of the msrp.

But really in the CBC case, they just dump stuff and upgrade, it goes for nothing in auctions.
Years ago you could buy pallets full of 1176s when they dumped them.
They did the same with ampex tape machines, studers etc etc.
All that great old Mccurdy gear, tube and solid state, awesome stuff went for nothing if it didn't go in the land fill.
I've got tons of it.
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayofbelfalas View Post
Hey guys, I have a 40 channel Concept Elite+ with Eagle automation and am looking to get anything I can for it. Any of you guys interested in replacement parts/channel strips? Hopefully looking to part it out.
Hi bayofbelfalas,
do you still have some parts for the elite?
i am very interested.

greetings,

Markus
5th February 2013
Old 5th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayofbelfalas View Post
Hi!. I might be interested in some parts!
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Gear interested

I have a 40 ch Concept One. Do you have the computer / hovernet card available? Looking for either a backup computer for my diskmix 2, or to upgrade to Eagle. Also looking for the meterbridge patchbay section, and patchbay tieline cards, as well as a clean dig master center section.

Alan
(716) 870-8059
23rd March 2013
Old 23rd March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfields View Post
I have a 40 ch Concept One. Do you have the computer / hovernet card available? Looking for either a backup computer for my diskmix 2, or to upgrade to Eagle. Also looking for the meterbridge patchbay section, and patchbay tieline cards, as well as a clean dig master center section.

Alan
(716) 870-8059
I might have a diskmix computer for sale with the diskmix hovernet card. If your C1 has diskmix now, it's an expensive proposition to up grade, I'm not sure Sorren Wittrup even has the eagle hovernet and opto cards available anymore.
TheLibraryStudio
18th April 2013
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Head

Eagle computer

Hi Otari owners,

I'm getting concerned about the age of my Eagle computer. It is a Pentium P5 133mhz in an intel s86f63 socket 7 motherboard. Although it still works fine I believe the PSU is probably reaching the end of its life and the fans and hard drive are noisy as hell.

I'm considering trying to build a new machine around a more modern motherboard with an ISA slot, usb and SATA support for quiet solid state drives.

I have a few questions that I will answer by experimentation if no one has tried before:

i) Any advice on doing a fresh installation of Eagle before I get started?
ii) Will I be able to run Eagle on Windows XP in compatibility mode?
iii) Has anyone built a new machine to house the hovernet card with fairly modern components?
iv) Although I have the Eagle 3.5" diskettes I can't work out how to get them on to a modern machine. Does anyone have them in a different format that they could send to me?

Any advice appreciated.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search