Login / Register

Static Interference while recording... Power issues?
New Reply
Subscribe
word_play
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

Static Interference while recording... Power issues?

Hey guys,

I've attached a clip of what I occasionally get while recording. My vocal chain is as follows:

Audio Technica 4047/SV --> Vintech x73i --> dbx160a -->mbox 2 mini

I have everything attached to an ART PB4x4 pro. Now I've been reading up a lot on power conditioning and realize all that is, is a glorified power strip.

With that said, do you you guys think if I upgrade the ART to something more substantial such as a mid range furman or monster power "conditioner" it will help me out?

Could another cause be the Vintech power supply? Any suggestions are welcome.

And by the way, that fan noise you hear in the background is just my computer.. had the microphone out in the open for a moment.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Interference.mp3 (1.46 MB, 1608 views)
word_play
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

Could another possibility be the mbox?

I also forgot to mention, I rented an api a2d a couple months back before I got the Vintech and never had any noises like the ones heard in the file attached.... so it makes me wonder if the cause of the static is the Vintech unit itself... I hope not.
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

Take all those things out of the chain (mic and cables included)... and add them back in one at a time. It could be any number of things, posting a clip of some intermittent noise really doesn't help anyone diagnose anything for you.... you need to isolate the problem on your end.

Start with the mic direct into the mbox, see if you get the noise. Try a different cable. Try a different mic. Still there? Find a way to bypass the mbox (ext pre into computer inputs, for example). Go away? Then it's the mbox....

Rinse and repeat until you can find out which thing is causing it. And then smash that offending item into bits. (or send it for repair, your call)

Do yourself a favor and start with the cables!

(also, it doesn't really sound like it, but it *could* be something blowing on the mic... HVAC, your dog, whatever... sounds kinda like breath noise or intermittent connection somewhere)
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

Also, I doubt this noise has anything to do with your power conditioner. (never say never though...) I further doubt that replacing it with, as you say, a mid-range furman or monster (the $150-$250 variety?) will help much, although those do have some noise reduction circuitry as opposed to the glorified power strip kind.
word_play
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for your detailed response ...I think its the vintech ...as I said above, I had an api pre before and didn't get this noise ...also before I had the mic directly plugged into the mbox pre with no noise ...I haven't tried it without the dbx yet ...will try that
word_play
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

I'm trying to figure out if it may be a cabling issue first, as you've stated to do... from the dbx compressor I have an xlr to 1/4inch cable going to the line in on the mbox 2 mini...should I be going xlr to xlr and inputting into the xlr input on the mini instead of the 1/4inch?

Also, is the line input on the mbox 2 mini Hi Impedance and the microphone Lo Impedance? If so, would one of these help, do you think?

Long & McQuade - Products - Yorkville Sound Lo To Hi Impedance Mic Adapter -1 Foot
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by word_play View Post
I'm trying to figure out if it may be a cabling issue first, as you've stated to do... from the dbx compressor I have an xlr to 1/4inch cable going to the line in on the mbox 2 mini...should I be going xlr to xlr and inputting into the xlr input on the mini instead of the 1/4inch?

Also, is the line input on the mbox 2 mini Hi Impedance and the microphone Lo Impedance? If so, would one of these help, do you think?

Long & McQuade - Products - Yorkville Sound Lo To Hi Impedance Mic Adapter -1 Foot
You'll have to consult your mbox manual and find out what it says for each jack of each input. It appears that the 1/4" inputs are switchable between line and hi-z, but it doesn't say if they're balanced or unbalanced, or what their calibration level is ( <--- look for those in the manual). I suspect that they are switchable between Hi-Z Unbalanced (DI) and Low-Z Balanced (line) via the pad switch, but it's hard to tell from the sweetwater page!

Either way you'll want to run the DBX output into a 1/4 Jack on the mini, as it appears the XLR is mic only. If the 1/4" input is unbalanced only, you'll want to handle that correctly.

All of the above aside, I don't think that has anything to do with the noise you're experiencing. Like I said at first, try only two components at a time until you can isolate, reproduce, and eliminate the problem by putting the guilty piece in and out of the chain. I would imagine it's due to inconsistent contact somewhere along the line. Does the noise make the signal drop out or does it add to the signal? (couldn't tell from your 1st clip as there was no signal to compare)
word_play
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
You'll have to consult your mbox manual and find out what it says for each jack of each input. It appears that the 1/4" inputs are switchable between line and hi-z, but it doesn't say if they're balanced or unbalanced, or what their calibration level is ( <--- look for those in the manual). I suspect that they are switchable between Hi-Z Unbalanced (DI) and Low-Z Balanced (line) via the pad switch, but it's hard to tell from the sweetwater page!

Either way you'll want to run the DBX output into a 1/4 Jack on the mini, as it appears the XLR is mic only. If the 1/4" input is unbalanced only, you'll want to handle that correctly.

All of the above aside, I don't think that has anything to do with the noise you're experiencing. Like I said at first, try only two components at a time until you can isolate, reproduce, and eliminate the problem by putting the guilty piece in and out of the chain. I would imagine it's due to inconsistent contact somewhere along the line. Does the noise make the signal drop out or does it add to the signal? (couldn't tell from your 1st clip as there was no signal to compare)
It adds to the signal.
word_play
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

I have a pretty good feeling its the vintech pre and or power supply :(

Like I've said, the microphone was directly in the xlr input on the mbox 2 mini a couple months ago with that sound not there...also, when I had the api, no issue either.
word_play
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

I *THINK* I may have solved the issue, or 'non-issue' if I am right... I noticed on the vintech that the Impedance was set to 1.2K rather than 300 ...the static seems to have disappeared...let's hope.
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by word_play View Post
I *THINK* I may have solved the issue, or 'non-issue' if I am right... I noticed on the vintech that the Impedance was set to 1.2K rather than 300 ...the static seems to have disappeared...let's hope.
That should affect the tonality of the mic some (or not much at all depending on the mic), but shouldn't cause static/interference if set either way *and* working correctly.
word_play
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

yea...it's still there...I took it back to my local shop where I purchased it and sure enough it didn't replicate the sound.. I played them the audio though...they gave me some replacement cables..still no go.. it seems to be intermittent which keeps making me wonder if it's a power issue.

thanks for all your help by the way, rcb4t2.
word_play
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

Anybody else have any thoughts?
15th October 2010
Old 15th October 2010
Gear Head

where's your phantom power for the mic comming from? I've had problems with phantom power causing noise (crackles, fuzz, etc)... do you have a stand alone phantom power you could try instead of the on board phantom?
word_play
16th October 2010
Old 16th October 2010
Gear Head

unfortunately I do not...when we tested it out at the store the problem didn't reproduce.. I don't know if I am picking some kind of frequency here or what..
16th January 2011
Old 16th January 2011
Gear interested

Arrrrrrrrgh

Hi Wordplay,

I am also having this problem with a new corei5 asus system, my basic setup is computer to mbox mini which are connected to krks, when I enable the record button and start recording I get a very similar poping static like your example.

Now I am sure the answer is in the computer somewhere because I have another Asus system that I also use that provides no static problems with
recording, so this proves its not an external power loop issue or cabling which is what other fourms are saying.

I have heard it could be the HDD and was told to fire up a program while in PT to see if you can hear the HDD spinning up.(could not hear a change in the static).
Well I have tried swapping the hard drives from working computer into the other and booting from it but still got the static the only thing I have yet to try is swapping the power supplys.

Any help here would be very much appericated
Many
Thanks
Scottb
4th July 2013
Old 4th July 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry to pull up this old post but I'm having the exact same noise issue with a Vintech 473. Mine will be fine for a few hours then start making the noise. I can plug it into a different socket on the power supply and it will go away for a little while but it comes back after a while. I'm thinking it is a power supply issue because it happens on all 4 channels. Just wondering if you found a soltuion?
MacPro 2.8 "Nehalem" quad, 12gRam, Osx 10.7.3 | Cubase 6.5, Logic 9.1.6, Pro Tools 10.2, DSP-Quattro, VePro 5 | SSL AlphaLinkAX, SSL MadiExtreme 64 | Api 3124+ , Focusrite Isa-428, Distressor, dbx-160x | Pro Ac 100s, Ns-10's , Avantone's | to many plugins and VI's to list | lots of mics as well
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search