Motu 896 or 828mkII
New Reply
Subscribe
preben
7th July 2003
Old 7th July 2003
Lives for gear

Motu 896 or 828mkII

I am thinking of upgrading from my current Motu 828 (had an offer that I couldn't refuse on that one) and was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the motu 896 and/or the new 828mkII (I know it isn't out in Europe, but maybe some of our overseas friends..??).

I don't particularly need a lot of preamps, but they are nice enough to have, so the main question is about the convertor quality and general sound quality of the two units.

Also: I am not in any way fixed on it having to be a MOTU unit, and the only reason I mention these two is that the 828 has worked flawlessly for nearly 2 years and I quite like the firewire concept (as I have 2 TC powercores and one UAD-1 acailable pci buses are few and far between in my setup).

I have thought about the Apogee Minime but the fact that i would a seperate D/A convertor for monitoring and listening through speakers make it sit just outside my price range.

Any thoughts are very welcome indeed.
8th July 2003
Old 8th July 2003
Gear Head

I have an 896 that I like, but no longer need 8 mic pre's. I'm thinking of getting an 828mkII instead. The quality of the pre's and converters on the 896 are pretty good, though I've read elsewhere that others prefer the new 828.

Not much info but hope it helps.

Cheers.
8th July 2003
Old 8th July 2003
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

How do you like the powercore? Specifically the reverb, eq's & Finalizer. I already have the UAD-1 for bomb compression!
preben
8th July 2003
Old 8th July 2003
Lives for gear

I really like the Powercore and the Megaverb and Classicverbs. The latter is alledgedly an emulation of a Lexicon 480L but of course the original sounds better. They are still, however, both a massive step up from the usual reverbs you can get in a vst-environment - unless you have the power to run a couple of altiverbs - which I don't. The Finalizer (hardware & plug) has been getting a lot of stick but I still like it for some things... It's NOT subtle, but I do find a lot of use for it.

EQ-wise: I bought the Sony Oxford EQ for powercore and it is hands down the best eq I have heard in software. Highly recommended.

In regards to the original thread: Tenton, where else have you been able to find any info on this..? I haven't had much luck apart from the Unicornation site... there's something substantial about the 896 that I really like (don't like the fact that it's been discontinued though), but I will go with whatever unit that gives me the best sound quality.
8th July 2003
Old 8th July 2003
Gear Head

Preben - I've been getting my info off of the Unicornation site too.

I don't think the 896 has been discontinued. It's still on the Motu site and it's for sale elsewhere (unless they've discontinued it in Europe....).

FWIW, I've done some comparisons on the pre's in the 896 vs. a Langevin and a Summit on electric guitars and the 896, while not as rich or clear as the other two, still fared pretty well.
9th July 2003
Old 9th July 2003
Gear nut

I own an 896 and love it. The only thing is that you can only monitor two of its inputs (zero latency) at a time. This really sucks if you're trying to record a band but only two of the instrumentalists can monitor themselves without latency. It means you either have to record in one room or buy an external mixer (which kind of defeats the point of the 896). On the other hand, if you're recording one or two instruments it's a dream piece of kit.

I don't have much experience with pres but I like the ones on the 896 better than anything else I've heard (Focusrite Trackmaster, Behringer desk, Mackie VLZ desks).
preben
9th July 2003
Old 9th July 2003
Lives for gear

thanks everyone.

I have actually gone ahead and bought a second hand 896. The 828 mkII isn't out in Europe yet and no one seems to know exactly when this will be. Not knowing what the 828 mkII will sound like all I can say is that the 896 definitely sounds a lot better than my old 828; there is a nice 'professional solidity' (what a crap description) about it - particularly in the low mid and bass area... So for now I'm happy. That obviously won't last long
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search