Login / Register

Will Slate VCC Be The End To Large Consoles?
New Reply
Subscribe
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate Press View Post
if you recall that far... many people chose the plugin mix over the hardware at first.... until the results were posted of course.
IMO there are not many of the "engineers with the golden ears" who could tell a difference. Not only with console emulations I expect such results also with other newer emulations off different devices. There is always a big portion of " I have invest so much money in this hardware, it must be better!"

I hope there are a few people with very good ears and much experience, could find a difference without problems! But this are not 95% of the audio engineers.

Frank Arnold
Musician and IT Freelancer

| | |
| |
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

Just did a whole metal mix with satson console emulation. Still used DaD tape as well with it in the chain with cla76 onmany tracks and dmgequality analog phase. Sounded really great and far from anything digital. Also summed all the tracks brought in to me with api and great river pres. It's a bit of work, but results have gotten better for me with all the new plugs to come out in the last 3 years. Satson so far is the perfect subtle console emulation plug I'm loving right now.

Given the tools today, as long as you have some decent pres and solid converter on your front end... I don't see why a mix couldn't sound as good as anything else when hearing a blind a/b test.
22nd May 2011
Old 22nd May 2011
Lives for gear

An analog console is great for tracking because you can buss multiple mics to a single tape input with the exact balance you desire.

However, many people don't realize that, when mixing, one can insert analog outboard via the converters (aka hybrid theory) and the DAW will calculate automatic delay (latency) compensation, without the need for a console.
26th May 2011
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Head

OK, I just finished reading the whole thread this morning, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned summing boxes.
I was planning on spending about 5 grand on a summing box and all other things necessary to run it with my HD3/192io rig. Then I tried the VCC a couple of days ago. I was a little aggravated that I needed to grab an iLok2 to run the demo when I have 3 iLoks already. Oh, but that all disappeared when I put this plug in on every channel of my mix. Instant smile!! This is what I was looking for in a summing box. And less than $300 vs $5,000? No brainer.
I might still consider getting a box later on, but I'm more than happy with this thing for now.
The reason I considered a summing box is this. I've been using PT for about 10 years with no problems except that I couldn't beat my own rough mixes done on a SSL after a session in a commercial studio here in Nashville. The 3D effect, more than anything, is almost impossible to recreate ITB. I'm not saying this by recalling how it sounded in the studio. I was able to compare side by side in my own studio because I had printed the rough mix back to my Pro Tools session. I got to where I need to be mixing ITB, but man, it took so long.
Now, would this kill large format consoles? I doubt it. Whoever is considering a large console won't even look at the VCC as a possible replacement. A console is a very effective sex appeal for a commercial studio although I don't mind tracking without one. What VCC does is take consumers away from purchasing summing boxes.
I'm planning on going to the studio with a Trident 80B to compare in the next week or so. Even if I like the real thing better, I won't be buying a 32ch Trident. Even if the studio owner likes the plug in better, he won't get rid of his console.
26th May 2011
Old 26th May 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikesPeak View Post
OK, I just finished reading the whole thread this morning, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned summing boxes.
I was planning on spending about 5 grand on a summing box and all other things necessary to run it with my HD3/192io rig. Then I tried the VCC a couple of days ago. I was a little aggravated that I needed to grab an iLok2 to run the demo when I have 3 iLoks already. Oh, but that all disappeared when I put this plug in on every channel of my mix. Instant smile!! This is what I was looking for in a summing box. And less than $300 vs $5,000? No brainer.
I might still consider getting a box later on, but I'm more than happy with this thing for now.
The reason I considered a summing box is this. I've been using PT for about 10 years with no problems except that I couldn't beat my own rough mixes done on a SSL after a session in a commercial studio here in Nashville. The 3D effect, more than anything, is almost impossible to recreate ITB. I'm not saying this by recalling how it sounded in the studio. I was able to compare side by side in my own studio because I had printed the rough mix back to my Pro Tools session. I got to where I need to be mixing ITB, but man, it took so long.
Now, would this kill large format consoles? I doubt it. Whoever is considering a large console won't even look at the VCC as a possible replacement. A console is a very effective sex appeal for a commercial studio although I don't mind tracking without one. What VCC does is take consumers away from purchasing summing boxes.
I'm planning on going to the studio with a Trident 80B to compare in the next week or so. Even if I like the real thing better, I won't be buying a 32ch Trident. Even if the studio owner likes the plug in better, he won't get rid of his console.
After 10 years experience of a few different analog summing and ITB, I concluded that summing box is almost meaningless, at least for Cubase/Nuendo sessions. Inserting nice vintage transformers on 2mix ITB sounds usually on par with any analog summing box or better and those xformer can be bought less than $500 for a pair.
26th May 2011
Old 26th May 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
IMO there are not many of the "engineers with the golden ears" who could tell a difference.
I have not taken the test so I don't know about the difference, but being able to tell the difference in final product is only one measure of the value of a console. Only one factor in whether this or that software will mean The End of Large Consoles.

I have mixed on consoles and I have mixed ITB. Most people claim a slight differential in sound in favor of the console. I would have to say that even if the differential worked the other way, I would prefer to mix on a console, it's just more fun.

And having fun, at least for me, has a greater impact on the final product than that slight differential in sound regardless of which direction it goes.

and all of this is just mixing - it says nothing about the use of consoles in tracking

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
26th May 2011
Old 26th May 2011
Lives for gear

To me after working more in the analogue domain I get the feeling you can mix in both domains and get similar results.

Today I have to say where console emulations fall short to my ear is in how they treat transients.
I like it when the console keeps them down and I do not have to use transient-designers to simulate this.

Also i love that the console can give a little saturation to the sound which I have to simulate ITB as well...

To my ears both domains sound good but the mixing process is more natural to me even on a small A+H mixer.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search