Login / Register

anyone using an old Sennheiser K3-U/ ME 40?
New Reply
Subscribe
Puffer Fish
8th September 2010
Old 8th September 2010
Lives for gear

anyone using an old Sennheiser K3-U/ ME 40?

I am wondering if anyone on here is using or has used an anyone using an old Sennheiser K3-U/ ME 40? I just got a box of 'junk' and a K3-U mic body was in it, but no capsule. I have my eyes on a capsule for this mic body that I found online, but I want to do some homework first and see if it is worth bothering.

My guess is that this mic could be useful and will have pretty good specs. I did download the manual. I also saw some complete mics (body and capsule) for sale online and they are not fetching a lot of $$$.

They were originally intended for the broadcast and film industries, but the body has a cool bass roll-off switch. Plus you can put four or five different capsules on the body, so it is pretty cool! (Omni lav, omni handheld, cardioid and shotgun)

I am hoping this little guy could be a nice addition to my SDC mics for a different flavor. I need to look over the manual again and digest the specs of the various capsules and then consider how they fair by comparison to the other gear I already own...

Anyway, I would love to hear from anyone regarding this mic body and the various capsules to let me know what you think about them or what your experiences with them have been.

Thanks!
Puffer Fish
9th September 2010
Old 9th September 2010
Lives for gear

Bump
10th September 2010
Old 10th September 2010
Lives for gear

The K3 series was the forerunner of the K6.

They were discontinued when mercury batteries became illegal as they used a mercury battery. However, there are now non-mercury replacements and the K3U can also be phantom powered.

If you phantom power it's best to pit a small piece of dowling in the battery compartment, the same length as a battery, to keep pressure on the capsule contact.

Nice little mic. series for the money.

President - Fédération Internationale des Chasseurs de Sons

(and lots more - please look at my Profile)
Puffer Fish
10th September 2010
Old 10th September 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the input, John.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search