Login / Register

Let's talk noise floor!
New Reply
Subscribe
RainbowStorm
19th December 2005
Old 19th December 2005
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Let's talk noise floor!

What is the noise floor in your recording environment? What have you done in order to lower the noise floor in your setup? When have you got your best gains with lowering the noise floor? Any recommendations?
19th December 2005
Old 19th December 2005
Head of Bumping Security (B.S)

All I know is that for mixing here at home, I'm getting the occasional whine of power tools from the house they're building behind my place.

Not cool!

I may try a Shunyata power conditioner and see if it helps. If so, I'll buy it.

If not, I'll only print mixes here at night!
19th December 2005
Old 19th December 2005
Gear addict

19th December 2005
Old 19th December 2005
Head of Bumping Security (B.S)

Thanks for the info Carlos. I'll check it out.

BTW, I never did check out that 16 ch Sphere eq. I will try and get around to it.

OTOH, I think I've just about nailed this mix. Always check w/ headphones.

Turns out I've had my horn reverb sends reversed for weeks.

[edit] Found a ground hum coming from one channel of a Sony DPS V77 reverb. Turn it off and the noise floor is quite low. Guess I'll substitute a plugin verb on that send and see how it sounds.
20th December 2005
Old 20th December 2005
Lives for gear

The *real* noise floor

only happens when all of the electrical power in a city goes off. It's incredible to hear. Then the car alarms go off and the sirens begin. But, for a few minutes, it's quiet.

I guess what the thread originator was wondering, is "how quiet is the room around the talent when the red light goes on?" , or was he wondering "how quiet is the electronics chain from mic pre to monitor and mix buss outputs?", or was she wondering "How quiet is the amplifier running that set of speakers with everything else down?".

Noise is the standard. Silence is rare.

Karl in Portland
G4 whooshing in my ear.
RainbowStorm
20th December 2005
Old 20th December 2005
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus13
only happens when all of the electrical power in a city goes off. It's incredible to hear. Then the car alarms go off and the sirens begin. But, for a few minutes, it's quiet.

I guess what the thread originator was wondering, is "how quiet is the room around the talent when the red light goes on?" , or was he wondering "how quiet is the electronics chain from mic pre to monitor and mix buss outputs?", or was she wondering "How quiet is the amplifier running that set of speakers with everything else down?".

Noise is the standard. Silence is rare.

Karl in Portland
G4 whooshing in my ear.
I was actually wondering all of that. Let's say you will record an acoustic guitar and have it miced in the recording room. The input level is set so that it peaks around let's say -2dB at max. What I'm wondering now is how good signal-to-noise ratio do you have on such a line? I'm thinking about noise from the recording room, noise outside the recording room, noise from the mic, noise from the pre-amp, noise from the cable, noise from the connectors, noise from the DAW, digital noise and so on... Where does the noise floor typically end up? -60, -70, -80dB ...?! (in RMS, not peak level)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search