Which is the 'best' magnetic soundhole pickup for acoustic guitar?
sethasaurus
3rd September 2010
Old 3rd September 2010
Gear interested

Hey,

Im looking to try and find a new mag soundhole pickup for my guitar. have been shopping around for a while and not managed to find anything I have liked.

was wondering what peoples opinions were on the matter and whether anyone new of any weird and wonderful dealers/manufacturers that maybe aren't common knowledge but should be.

The best I have found to my knowledge were the Mimesis Humbucking Mag SH PU made by Luthier Mike Vanden. These pickups are now discontinued as Fishman took the designs and started producing them on a mass scale (unfortunately with inferior parts) under the Rare Earth banner.

If anyone has any info they wanna contribute then that would be very much appreciated!!
sethasaurus
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Gear interested

No one?
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Gear maniac

for me LR.BAGGS M1 is the one. i ended up equipping all my live guitars with them.
i tried a LOT of soundhole pickups, including the utterly expensive sunrise. nothing sounds as natural as the m1.
Deleted User
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Deleted User

I don't particularly like pick ups in acoustic guitars, however Seymour Duncan make a really nice pick up for the acoustic. The name has slipped me.
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethasaurus View Post
Hey,

Im looking to try and find a new mag soundhole pickup for my guitar. have been shopping around for a while and not managed to find anything I have liked.

was wondering what peoples opinions were on the matter and whether anyone new of any weird and wonderful dealers/manufacturers that maybe aren't common knowledge but should be.

The best I have found to my knowledge were the Mimesis Humbucking Mag SH PU made by Luthier Mike Vanden. These pickups are now discontinued as Fishman took the designs and started producing them on a mass scale (unfortunately with inferior parts) under the Rare Earth banner.

If anyone has any info they wanna contribute then that would be very much appreciated!!
I've had a few, the Fishman Rare Earth & Rare Earth Blend, Duncan MagMic, Sunrise(still have it) and lately the Baggs M1. The Sunrise has a great low end, I think it kills your top as far as playing it acoustically though. The M1 is nice, small footprint, sounds decent, not quite as metallic by itself & doesn't really kill the top so I just leave it in. I still have the Sunrise but I use the M1. I linked a couple of mp3 clips but it's combined with a MXL V57 Condenser/LA-610. I think it & the M1 are panned hard L/R though. The M1's into a Baggs Para DI with some highs rolled off.

If interested:

Blueridge1 M1-Mic mp3
Blueridge2 M1-Mic mp3
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Gear addict

The Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking pick-up deserves to be on the short list of magnetic sound hole units.
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Sunrise.
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Gear addict

Lane Poor

16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Gear addict

16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

In no particular order:

Sunrise
Baggs M-1
Fishman Rare Earth
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Gear Head

+1 for the L.R. Baggs M1. Great Pick UP.

They make great PreAmp-DI box and other pick up models too. After trying diferent models, and brands i'm using Baggs on my acoustics and Classicals for Live shows.
kdp
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
kdp
Lives for gear

LR Baggs M1. Sold my Sunrise.
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

1. Sunrise is a great all rounder, put a Pendulum hz110 in front of it, and your golden
2. the original Bill Lawrence has a nice edge to it, not exactly acoustic sounding, but has it's own thing
3. Dearmond 210 when you need to have that old honking blues sound.

That said, I sold all mine an use the Highlander IP1 in my Martin an a Baggs iMix in my Bourgeois.
16th September 2010
Old 16th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarbyOhara View Post
Nice playing amost! And it sounds pretty decent.
Hey thanks...it's an easy pickup to use.
Still like the Sunrise also but the M1 works.
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Gear Guru

HMmmmm..... I'm surprised nobody's asked yet - what kind of sound are you after?
17th September 2010
Old 17th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
HMmmmm..... I'm surprised nobody's asked yet - what kind of sound are you after?
Well, he's asking for a soundhole mag & by themselves most of them have a certain similarity in tone to them...within reason, regardless of the sound you're after. YMMV of course.
sethasaurus
12th October 2010
Old 12th October 2010
Gear interested

Im looking for something to blend with my RMC acoustic gold.
I play a lot of very percussive rhythm guitar in several celtic/folk bands and have a fairly specific sound I'm trying to achieve. (as with all sonic holy grails this is exceptionally difficult to put into words!)

I want a very full bodied, driving rhythm tone that is well balanced and has a lot of punch.

In the studio I was using 3 channels, a stereo condenser pair and a line from my pickup. the Mics were for the dry guitar signal which was then fattened up with the TLA Fatman comp for a full and warm guitar sound. The pickup signal was then blended in the mix and very heavily compressed to the point it was pumping - not something usually desired but it actually sounded quite musical and added a lot of drive and weight to the guitar part (which was already pretty meaty)

Both signal paths were EQ'd to remove any muddiness from the sound and to fatten things up further we added in a MIDI sub-bass tone. All this put together created a guitar sound that was MASSIVE.

Im looking to re create this live and so was looking for an extra pickup that I could then beef up with the pumping compression effect. The more natural sounding the pickup the easier it will be to blend so thats a plus point but the main part of the guitars signal path will be from the RMC.

Hope this helps,

Thanks so much for the suggestions so far!
Will be looking in to the M1 and the Rare Earth for sure.

Could anyone tell me anymore about the lane poor?

Kindest Regards Seth
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search