New Reply
Subscribe
chessparov
19th August 2010
Old 19th August 2010
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Primacoustic Voxguard-any good?

Anyone try these out yet?

Have a friend with an acoustically untreated small office suite, who wants to do some project studio level type of recording.

Primarily will use dynamic microphones for vocals BTW.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
25th August 2010
Old 25th August 2010
Gear interested

Primacoustic Voxguard-any good?

I'm wondering about this too. I have a spare bedroom that I want to record vocals in.
9th September 2010
Old 9th September 2010
Lives for gear

Its pretty good. Def makes a difference. Of course you would be much better off first treating your whole room. Also, if you have the $300 I would def recommend the realtraps pvb instead. For $100, though, this little guy kicks ass. I have a post on it too. Google: gearslutz primacoustic voxguard
9th September 2010
Old 9th September 2010
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
Anyone try these out yet?

Have a friend with an acoustically untreated small office suite, who wants to do some project studio level type of recording.

Primarily will use dynamic microphones for vocals BTW.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
I just tried the Little "Crash Guard" protector with a SM57 on Snare - to lighten the "bleed-blow" from the H/H and Crash Cymbal. It does indeed help, and it really makes a difference that is worth trying for yourself.
12th September 2010
Old 12th September 2010
Church of UAD

Quick Review

I just posted this in another thread here, but here's a paste with a slight edit or two for clarification:

--------------------------------------------------------------

I picked one up. It does its job for getting a tight vocal in a larger room or helping with a scratch vocal in the control room or things like that.

I don't know what the companies are thinking with these types of mounting designs. I don't know ANYBODY that uses a straight stand with a condenser. It should have been a secured angle that would let you mount it on a boom and also allow you to attach large shockmounts to it easily.

Connection is a real pain. I mount mine upside down from a large studio boom stand. You have to disassemble the mic's shockmount because there's not enough room to twist it on. If you have a large mount that doesn't disassemble you will not be able to mount it on the Voxguard.

Once "mounted" you have to fuss with getting the bottom tight enough (with its euro extended screw on it) to lock your mount in place while fiddling with the knurled ring to keep it clamped.

I really would have liked to see a better mounting system, like I described above.

Just my quick review. Used it only once so far, due to the hassle of setup with large shockmounts.

Here's the 1073PreKey!
chessparov
13th September 2010
Old 13th September 2010
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Thanks guys.

Chris
10th December 2011
Old 10th December 2011
Lives for gear

I wanted to chime in and say that I purchased one last night....

I have to say this thing really works!!!

Maybe if you're recording in a bathroom where shit might reflect off everything like crazy you'll need more than this small fix...BUT if we're talking you've got a normal apartment or bedroom and you need to fix and tame some vocal stuff that's bugging you this really does a GREAT job.

I'd like to say night and day fix, but it could just be my studio apartment. Wood floors...scrapped ceiling...reflective for sure.

I recommend this thing! Can't compare it to anything though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search