New Reply
Subscribe
timorio
4th August 2010
Old 4th August 2010
Gear interested

Wireless mic setup for a 15-piece band?

Hey Folks,

I have a 15-piece band of 10 horns and 5 percussion that wants to go wireless. Since we need so many mics and wireless setups, we need to do this on a budget, say less than $500 per setup, cheaper if possible. We're talking about live sound here, so we don't need better sound quality than we normally get out of sm57s/58s and the like.

Questions:
- Recommendations for clip-on mics/wireless combos? There are lots of decent clip-on horn and drum mics from Shure, AKG, AT, and various smaller players. But it doesn't seem like we can get a shure mic and shure or (say) Sennheiser wireless set-up on our budget.

- Are there any pitfalls we should be aware of related to putting 15 of these (possibly lower-end) units in the same location?

- The Samsom Airline 77 system has the appeal of being a mic and wireless-setup in one package for a pretty low price ($250-300). Anyone have any experience with these?

- Any other gotchas we should be aware of?

Thanks!
timorio
23rd August 2010
Old 23rd August 2010
Gear interested

Man, not a single reply? Was it something I said?
23rd August 2010
Old 23rd August 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not an audio pro. I'm an IT pro. I do however have some understanding of the HF field.

You need at the very least 15 mics. Prolly more. And you need that to function reliably in a harsh environment.

It's easy to set up such a system. Only, do you want it to work 95% of the time? Or 100%? The latter is rather difficult. Especially if you're on a budget. So, maybe most people here are aware of the complexities?
timorio
23rd August 2010
Old 23rd August 2010
Gear interested

Hey cyrano, thanks for the reply. Yes 15 mics is what we need. Wireless is what we're after. Maybe I should ask a more direct question:

Can you put 15 lower-end wireless mic setups in the same vicinity without having interference issues? By lower-end I mean, the cheaper models from Shure, Sennheiser, Audio-technica, Samson Airline 77, etc.

The Samson is of particular interest since it's a compact single unit, instead of mic+bodypac. I saw Roy Hargrove playing trumpet with one of those the other day. I figure if it's good enough for Roy, it's probably good enough for me, but then again, he didn't have 15 of these on the same stage.

As for 95% or the time vs. 100%, obviously we want a system we can count on, but if 95% costs X and 100% costs 3X, I think we'd settle for 95%. I guess it also depends on what the missing 5% "looks like" or sounds like, but I don't want to belabor the point.

Thanks!
24th August 2010
Old 24th August 2010
Lives for gear

I would go with the Sennheiser for this. Their lower end gear is very good.

You will want to talk to Sennheiser about what frequency bands will work best in the areas you are looking to operate them in. They come in different RF frequency bands, I would suggest you try to get 3 different bands (if they will work in your area) for 15 mics.

“One of the 10 best independent albums of 2008”

-The Noise

www.sonicdisorderrecording.com
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search