Reamping via guitar pedal
New Reply
Subscribe
dialectic
5th July 2010
Old 5th July 2010
Lives for gear

Reamping via guitar pedal

I have read that when reamping a guitar/bass that it is possible to use a guitar FX pedal in 'bypass' mode to provide the correct impedance and level for the amp. Could someone please confirm or debunk this for me please.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Guru

Not sure about that, I use a guitar, cable straight into a 512c pre+ convertor.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear addict

interesting thought,

i would think it would only apply if it was not a true bypass pedal,

but then you might also have a negative impact from the input of the pedal seeing the wrong impedence...

but i'm not an EE

so i am also interested in a more informed opinion on this...
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Impedance is not the real issue here - level is the real issue.

Certainly - impedance loading on your guitar's passive pups has a big affect on your tone. But - that effect is locked into your clean DI track, and it's too late at the actual re-amping stage. I'll assume you have recorded your clean DI mono track with a decent DI box or instrument level preamp.

The trick is to match the output of your D/A converter to your amp. Pro D/A output is +4 balanced - waay too hot for a guitar amp. Even semi-pro -10 unbalanced output is too hot. Sure - you can connect them up with a cable, or even with a roughly unity-gain stomp box, but if you don't have sufficient attenuation, you could end up attenuating in the digital domain. The downside of doing that is that your D/A has a fixed level of hiss/hum/grunge. By dropping your DAW faders to match levels, you aren't dropping this fixed level of noise. So your signal to noise ratio suffers - and that isn't a good thing when you are going to drive a high gain amp.

It's much better to attenuate in the analog domain, after the D/A, which reduces the noise too.

The other problem is that direct audio cables between DAW and amps etc can bring ground loop hum to the party.

I prefer a decent passive reamp box - which is totally different to a passive DI used backwards.

A passive DI (transformer) is designed to attenuate an instrument down to Mic level. So used backwards, it provides a voltage multiplication (at the expense of current reduction). Using one backwards is really dumb - because the last thing you need when trying to hook up your line level signal to a guitar amp is MORE level ...

A real reamp box is a custom designed box for a specific purpose, and nothing does it better. Sure - plenty of methods will pass signal. And noise.
dialectic
8th July 2010
Old 8th July 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the posts guys!

Kiwi, your reply was most informative and has helped clarify the possible issues or re-amping without using a dedicated device.

So in a nut shell, if a dedicated reamping device is not available it is possible to re-amp using a guitar pedal (as long as its not true bypass) but with the risk of noise being introduced to the signal?
Vogon
9th July 2010
Old 9th July 2010
Vogon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dialectic View Post
So in a nut shell, if a dedicated reamping device is not available it is possible to re-amp using a guitar pedal (as long as its not true bypass) but with the risk of noise being introduced to the signal?
Yes. A pedal which buffers the signal in bypass (ie. Boss) will work. Watch out for some distortion pedals as they can have effect bleed in the output in bypass (AFAIK Ibz/maxon TS9 etc.).
But I believe some non-true-bypass pedals do not buffer.
As stated, you just have to drop the gain coming from the dac.
dialectic
10th July 2010
Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replys thumbsup
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search