Login / Register

What do you think is the most common listening device for music today?
View Poll Results: Vote
Portable MP3 player
71 Votes - 66.36%
Computer media player
30 Votes - 28.04%
CD Player (car)
14 Votes - 13.08%
Home Stereo system
3 Votes - 2.80%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
djmukilteo
4th July 2010
Old 4th July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

What do you think is the most common listening device for music today?

What do you think the most common method today is when listening to music?
Portable MP3 player
Computer Media Player
CD player (car)
Home Stereo system
djmukilteo
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Wow 120 views and only one vote so far...either this was a really stupid poll or nobody cares...
My interest was to see if anyone actually uses stereo systems much anymore to listen to they're favorite music.
I've been reading nobody is buying much music and listening to records or CD's as much....I see young people walking around with earbuds in their heads but not sure what they are listening to or how they get their music?...
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear maniac

Portable MP3 for now. Unfortunately.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear maniac

I still use a portable tape player.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewareofdogs View Post
Portable MP3 for now. Unfortunately.
Unfortunately indeed. Yet better than nothing.

Technology is not ruining music. On the contrary, there is a healthy tencency towards "democracy" in music - anyone can get it, anyone can make it. It's still possible to make a decent living out of it, if you're talented. So who cares if artists or the big labels can't get rich any more.

If big labels die out, it's for the better IMHO. It's not like they ever did anything good for the quality of music.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear addict

yup ipod still winning
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear nut

Im not sure that the gearslutz community is a good sample, we're all likely to own portable media players.

I'd actually say that more people hear music on their TV than any other device, other than a shitty portable radio, with portable music devices bringing up the rear.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear maniac

I only listen to CD's , LP's, or 24 bit from the computer (or the radio when all else fails).

Don't own an ipod, never will. My kids do, though. But my oldest knows that even CD's sound better than mp3's.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arianclap View Post
YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAN
till it happens to you.and somone comes in and steal your music.
forget the big companies.what about us
And when will people stop using the (probably big label initiated) comparison to "stealing", i.e. unlawfully taking away property from someone's possession. "You wouldn't steal a car..." - gimme a break. If you can think about the matter just a little bit deeper, you'd realize copying music without paying for it is really not the same thing as stealing.

arianclap, I understand that it pisses you off and I don't mean to offend. I admit that I have the luxury of looking at this matter from a different (socio-cultural) perspective, and never had to worry about making a living off music.

Sorry for hijacking this thread. I'll calm myself down now.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to nukmusic Send a message via Yahoo to nukmusic
Quote:
Originally Posted by who? View Post
I still use a portable tape player.
cool.

People may have forgotten that portable players have been popular for a very long time. Mp3 players(cell phones, iPods, etc) are just the new-age portable players.

I myself listen to much more music(outside the studio) in my suv. XM Radio mostly.

Docta'J aka Big NUK
Practice Makes Progress
www.twitter.com/nukmusic
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Wow 120 views and only one vote so far...either this was a really stupid poll or nobody cares...
My interest was to see if anyone actually uses stereo systems much anymore to listen to they're favorite music.
I've been reading nobody is buying much music and listening to records or CD's as much....I see young people walking around with earbuds in their heads but not sure what they are listening to or how they get their music?...
Yes, kind of depressing. I still listen on a pretty good system at home, don't own an mp3 (ipod, etc.) Don't really care to listen to down rez crappy files. Not interested in convenience, would rather have quality. Still buy plenty of music, even some good 180gm vinyl from time to time. CD's aren't the best but you can buy them for the same price or less than a download on itunes, or you can buy used as well. You did ask what we thought most people were listening on, not what do you listen on.thumbsup

6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear addict

Ears
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
What do you think the most common method today is when listening to music?
Portable MP3 player
Computer Media Player
CD player (car)
Home Stereo system
Maybe you should have options for streaming over fixed internet connections (I listen to almost all my music on Rhapsody) and for streaming to smartphones (an up and comer).

TK Major: social, biz, and music stuff | a crisp, flat design restyle for GS: Gray GS 2.2 for Chrome/Stylebot

People make oceans of music and only a tiny, tiny amount ever rises up for a few moments like a wave, visible from the shore. And then it's gone, too, back into the bottomless sea of forgotten music.
TK Major
. The Forgotify Files
djmukilteo
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Much respect. thumbsup

I'm not with any big companies. But I got my tracks jacked a couple of times here & there.

And I'm 100% agreeing with your point of view.
Just don’t want to see that my only option is djing ,concerts, playing on bcast.

I know a lot of talented producers that don’t have a ball to put their song out.
Cause they know that they’re gonna get their tracks converted to mp3 and boom
It’s gone.
I hope that you get what I’m trying to say.
Just curious arianclap?
How were your tracks jacked? Were they copyrighted at all?
I've seen other people talk about this on here and been curious what sort of ways and what someone ends up doing with someone else's music in the end....?
I think this is a new phenomenon with new music distribution or lack of....because in the past (I'm old) music was always copyrighted before release by record companies....and that doesn't seem like whats happening these days...are you saying certain tracks of a song?.....or an entire completed song?
Wondering if you don't have some recourse...?

Just in case I didn't state my preferences:
I don't own an iPod or portable type device....havent' gotten into the personal listening device thing at all....people seem to zone out in their own little world these days focusing on their phones or earbuds...they don't pay much attention to the world around them...I see them as zombies at work just plugged in....
I listen to music on my home stereo system..Pioneer (ya still have one) I have reel to reel, cassette, CD, Laser Disc (remember those)...no turntable or vinyl anymore....and then I'll also listen to MP3's or videos or whatever on my computer system which is also my recording system FF800/ZEDR16 using WMP....I see a lot of people using iTunes or WinAmp....probably a poll there too.....
Thanks for the voting everyone
djmukilteo
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Maybe you should have options for streaming over fixed internet connections (I listen to almost all my music on Rhapsody) and for streaming to smartphones (an up and comer).
Yes....Streaming Media should have been in there but glad you posted your preference.
I started this poll without thinking about XM/SAT radio either...
Maybe others will post more options as well...
djmukilteo
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
yes they were copyright (c) someone got access to my computer
and put it on DC++ a sharing software like bittorrent.
can't do shit about it .don't know what to do.
this thing happens all the time you see big artists with big company names behind them .and still can download their songs from all kinds of sharing sites. They can’t do anything about it. so how am I able to do anything
Bummer...I guess that's what's happening these days....you create something and you want it to get out there and people to hear it and go "viral" as they say!
But where does that get you...maybe this is the reason people aren't buying music anymore (well less and less anyway)...
It might be a downward spiral where it bottoms out who knows...
I'm thinking the only music money out there is in ads and jingles where at least you get paid for it up front....maybe not a platinum record but something for your work!
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

You know you are not common :: when you still use a cassette in your car

Bridging Old School to Middle School
A Tympanic Tweaker
djmukilteo
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjogo View Post
You know you are not common :: when you still use a cassette in your car
Sweet!...remember when that's all we had!??
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear interested

in the street many people habe phones and listening mp3!!! i only listen music in my home.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear addict

I prefer 24-bit and dislike mp3...

...but, I just got my first iPod for a B-day present and I like it for what it does. The earbuds actually sound better than I thought they would.

More interesting to me is that kids today are prefering the mp3 sound over the higher quality CD. They have become acclimated to it which sort of shows that it's not what's best, but what's most familiar that people will like. Lo-fi is in!

The Sizzling Sound of Music - O'Reilly Radar
djmukilteo
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystr Tiger View Post
...but, I just got my first iPod for a B-day present and I like it for what it does. The earbuds actually sound better than I thought they would.

More interesting to me is that kids today are prefering the mp3 sound over the higher quality CD. They have become acclimated to it which sort of shows that it's not what's best, but what's most familiar that people will like. Lo-fi is in!

The Sizzling Sound of Music - O'Reilly Radar
I have to agree with this acclimated idea....this is another topic of interest for me....back in my day we used to listen to 45's on little record players, then we started buying LP albums and the turntable/cartridge race for quality was on!...Then 8 track and cassettes came out which were convenient but not that high quality and then CD's came out which took another quality step up and forward...and now were going back down again to MP3's because it's convenient!
Hilarious....whats the next step backwards?
People here argue over the slightest little nuance of converters or tubes or processing ITB OTB..............but nobodies listening!!
Total nonsense!.....why not give people marginal music and call it a day....you could save yourself a lot of time and money...they won't know anyway or care! LOL
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

It's my belief that music in general has been greatly discounted due to overexposure and saturation. Most listeners don't give a damn about high quality audio, real vs live drums, pitch correction vs natural vocals, etc....
The pay off for most artists today is the live show. Recordings are just the bait. I'm just sayin'.

Bryant - Hames Music
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
I have to agree with this acclimated idea....this is another topic of interest for me....back in my day we used to listen to 45's on little record players, then we started buying LP albums and the turntable/cartridge race for quality was on!...Then 8 track and cassettes came out which were convenient but not that high quality and then CD's came out which took another quality step up and forward...and now were going back down again to MP3's because it's convenient!
Hilarious....whats the next step backwards?
People here argue over the slightest little nuance of converters or tubes or processing ITB OTB..............but nobodies listening!!
Total nonsense!.....why not give people marginal music and call it a day....you could save yourself a lot of time and money...they won't know anyway or care! LOL

LOL - those 8 tracks were a real joke - some (long) songs being cut in half just to switch to the next track!

But, the convenience factor was indisputable since vinyl LPs could not be played in the car. Funny thing, though, is that I remember hearing of someone who had a specially designed 45 player in his car - in fact, I just did a search and found it! The speed was actually 16 2/3 RPM so you didn't have to change records as often (talk about the dangers of driving with distractions like cell phones and texting, this had to be much more dangerous!).

Automotive Oddities

Shy
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Shy
Lives for gear

Obviously, the most common listening device for music today is a car stereo system.
7th July 2010
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
Obviously, the most common listening device for music today is a car stereo system.
Yes… Those OVERLOUD opened windows cars delivering rap or any bad RnB you don't want to even listen ! Horrible !

http://colonelblues.bandcamp.com/

My lil' place
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/6092424-post1037.html

DIY Guitar Isolation Cabinet. Advices welcome !
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/4476409-post1.html

Proud Cherry Tree family member, join us !
djmukilteo
7th July 2010
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy View Post
I don't know the poll shows that a distant 3rd to the portable MP3 player!
7th July 2010
Old 7th July 2010
Gear nut

7th July 2010
Old 7th July 2010
Gear maniac

djmukilteo
7th July 2010
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by who? View Post
I wonder if these sound better than Dr. Dre's headphones??....
I really want the Taylor Swift models now
or maybe the "Bono" brand earbuds....for that rock design sound!
7th July 2010
Old 7th July 2010
Gear maniac

Pretty much a no brainer for mp3/iPod. It is hard to accept the fact that people will give up so much sound quality for convenience.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search