Vocal Mixing - boosing vowel sounds
Old 28th June 2010
Gear interested

Vocal Mixing - boosing vowel sounds

Old 28th June 2010
Lives for gear

...........haven't listened to the track but automation is your friend, very, very easy in a daw and you have complete control............just takes a little practice, combined with eq and your set to go.
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

Well from the 8 seconds of 5 songs I listened to on that myspace link there's some (sometimes major) distortion, and (to me) too much reverb on those vocals, so you could try that lol... I don't particularly like that sound so it's hard for me to comment.

ps: The best way to get a vocal, instrument, or anything to sound a certain way is to start by getting the artist to sound that way from the get-go. Too often people forget this. Not saying you're one of them, but think about it.
Old 29th June 2010
Gear interested

Thanks for the feedback. I've been calling vocal sounds that are more or less like that Best Coast example the Gorilla v. Bear sound. I guess that label won't be useful forever, but for now, much of the indie/KCRW stuff you can hear at gorillavsbear.net sounds distant, drenched in reverb, and also with a very vowely/inarticulate quality. I think this is a fad, but nonetheless I came across a situation where it's appropriate -- where the vocals I've recorded sound like a horn-section part, with a mix of some staccato notes and some long crescendoing notes. So anything that'll make the vocals take on a brassy sound would work well.
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

There's a lot of distortion on those vox. I'd guess that a lot of the highs were rolled off before they pushed it into distortion and that would de-emphasize the consonants. The tone vaguely reminds me of a Silver Bullet harmonics mic I used to have. Standing back from the mic will also de-emphasize consonants and of course.... the vocalist can always downplay the consonants while singing.
Old 29th June 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

sounds like a band in a jam room with the singer going through a shitty vocal PA picked up by a room mic or 2.
Old 29th June 2010
has all the gear he needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
automation is your friend
So true.

I spend a serious amount of time automating my vox tracks. Subtle dips and careful boosts when strategically applied on a syllable level can hide a multiple of vocal sins.......

.........or even make a pretty good performance sound great.
Old 29th June 2010
Lives for gear

...I can generally only make vowel sounds when I've been boosing...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search