Login / Register

Anyone use anything from Peavey that doesn't suck?
New Reply
Subscribe
out1ear
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to out1ear
Anyone use anything from Peavey that doesn't suck?

I'm just curious. I know some of their high end sound reinforcement stuff is good, anything else? Bass amps?
Lee March Productions/Revolt Recording Studios
Atlanta, GA
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Lives for gear

We have a Classic 50/50 stereo tube power amp that is great for certain warm yet pristine guitar tones...fan is a bit noisy, but coupled with a good preamp you can get some cood stuff out of it...

Good Sound Starts With Good Gear - Great Sound Starts With Great Players
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gearslutz.com admin

My Recordings/Credits

with the right player the bass head is very good, kinda square looking one?

Looks like a PA amp!

Worked fine, great in fact.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Peavey PVM 520i large diaphram dynamic microphone (have 2).
May sell one pretty soon..

Chris
out1ear
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear maniac

thanks for all your replies. I have an endorsement opportunity with Peavey and I've never been a big fan. I just wanted to see what their products were all about. I'm a bass player in my band, but I'm all over the spectrum as far as playing and recording.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear Head

Send a message via AIM to SaxonSound
I like their VMP-2 Mic Pre.

I'm in no position to say it's fantastic, since I've never used any of the "big time" preamps (Neve, Avalon, Hardy, etc.), but the VMP-2 certainly doesn't suck.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear addict

my wife has an old peavey rack bass amp - 1 space valve preamp called "bass raxx" or something like that, connected to the classic 120 3 rack space valve power amp - instant gene simmons "god of thunder" bass sound! really, really good bass amp. also the classic 30 guitar amp re-tubed and connected to an external cab is reasonably good.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by SaxonSound
I like their VMP-2 Mic Pre.

I'm in no position to say it's fantastic, since I've never used any of the "big time" preamps (Neve, Avalon, Hardy, etc.), but the VMP-2 certainly doesn't suck.
This is one of Joe Barresi's favorite mic-pres.

I enjoy the Peavey ValVerb.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear Head

I also like the Peavey VMP-2, but keep in mind that it was built by Audio Media Research.

I worked at a studio once that had the 520i and I think it sounded good on guitars, more low end than a 57 and cleaner top end than a 421. Too bad they don't make em' anymore.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear addict

how do you go about getting an endorsement from a company?

marsh
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Lives for gear

I've always been a big fan of Peavey Basses,,, IMHO that is their best gear... you may be in luck...

"... fuuck" - Yours Truly

"a GOOD mic pre is good with any mic on any instrument or voice for any genre of music and into any recording device." - W. Wittman (ProSoundWeb)

"Ahhh the hell with it... get 1073's and you'll be guaranteed platinum!!" - Fletcher
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Lives for gear

Got a single channel TMP-1 preamp (class A all tube design) new for $160 through Medley Music in Phili. Sounded a heck of a lot better than anything in it's price range but not as good as the 2K stuff (who'd figure). Anyways, I sent it off to Audio Upgrades for Jensen Transformer and other upgrades, and now it sounds really great. Very clean with a sweet tube sound (not fuzzy tube sound). It is a really nice addition to a preamp arsonal.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear maniac

I've got a rack-mount Classic 120/120 that I absolutely adore. I've also got some Celestion loaded slant 2x12's that I really dig. Both have seen hundreds of stages, thousands of road miles, and innumerable/unnameable roadie abuse, and they are still going strong. Unfortunately Peavey doesn't make them anymore.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear interested

Strangely enough, I've heard tell that the Peavey drums are actually pretty good...

I have a Peavey 6 channel mono, powered P.A. head that's about 20 years old that still works fine despite being dropped multple times. In a pinch, I've used it as a bass head, and sitting on the floor, turned up on end, it makes a fine stool.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Lives for gear

Peavey has actually made some excellent products over the years.

Never what I'd consider high-end or audiophile, but good values. You've got to remember that Hartley started the company as a low cost alternative for the gigging musician. Normally very rugged and easily serviced products.

I know guys with (what have to be approaching 30 year old) CS800 poweramps, that go out and run balls out every night, year after year.

I'd still take a Mark IV or V over a Mackie anyday for FOH.

They made some cool tube guitar and bass amps a few times. Deuce and Butcher and Classics come to mind. Southern rockers and country guys loved that stuff.

Some of the AMR stuff was also quite good. The consoles were real sleepers.

I used to have a 520ti (580? IDR), I used every now and then on kik or bass cabs. Once worked for a particular vocalist when nothing else would.

The drums sound great, but (from what I've heard) are somewhat difficult to tune, don't fit standard cases, and have some problems with the wooden rim's plies separating.

They've made some great basses, too.

Unfortunately, with the possible exception of the Classics, it seems they immediately discontinue all the good stuff they come up with!

Casey
SC Digital Services

Bob Olhsson wrote on 17th September 2002, 12:56 PM:
"Music is being used to sort consumers rather than to entertain people."
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, almost forgot, the only Peavey currently in use around here is a poweramp we use to drive our Furman headphone system...
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Lives for gear

My first "real" bass was a Peavey T-40 and first amp/cab was Peavey.

Bass was solid, no complaints (until I tried a G & L). The amp was, ummm, loud. It was something like 400 watts but I was a bit dissapointed when I blew the transistors by connecting it to a 2" speaker pulled from a dead transistor radio. Very fun to watch, the speaker jumped about 3 feet in the air then smoke came out. The 2 x 15 cabinet was, heavy. And loud.

This was back in 1984. I'm guessing they have progressed since then.

"An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way." - C. Bukowski
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NathanEldred
I still have a pair of passive 3 ways with a 6.5" driver from them. I didn't want to part with them, even with other stuff in here because I'm so used to them, and make really nice "fun" speakers for the clients. They are a little bright in the 3.5K range, but other than that, for $700 for the pair (1993 prices), they smoke anything from Mackie.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear maniac

I have a bass cabinet that I love with an 18" Black Widow speaker - works as an AWESOME kick drum sub mic too!!
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear maniac

have a T-40 bass and T-60 guitar, both of which are very useable and record well...and a VMP-2, which is also better than decent. what i really enjoy, though, are the occasional Peavey threads themselves, which inevitably seem to end up as 'feel good' stories concerning Peavey gear, the company, and the man himself...the kind that make you want to support an old time American Co. that tries to do what it does well (cue mx, small town America images, children waving little flags etc.)...it's nice to be nice to the nice.

i always have meant to check out those 1000 series drums...weird lookng things.

out1ear
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear maniac

I've owned peavy amps a many years ago. Some small combos TNT115, a 5150,a couple of PA's, and an EQ, but nothing in a long time.
19th June 2003
Old 19th June 2003
Gear Head

I have a 5150 combo guitar amp here in the studio that works for certain things. It has been very reliable. Also, Peavey does make some pretty good bass guitars. The drums are a little weird looking but sound......... o.k. I guess.

Good luck,
20th June 2003
Old 20th June 2003
Gear interested

I've played a lot of their bass amps in various rehearsal studios around here. Only one was useless and that one was really damaged. It seems their bass amps are pretty tough to destroy, and they seem to get the job done.

With the proliferation of so much crappy gear, Peavey is starting to look down right classey-- next to Behringer and such anyway.

I'd perfer my STOLEN grudge Hartke rig, or an SWR, or what I'll eventually end up getting to replace my stolen grudge rig: alembic pre into a crown amp into Genz-Benz cabinet(s).
21st June 2003
Old 21st June 2003
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Rader Ranch
what i really enjoy, though, are the occasional Peavey threads themselves, which inevitably seem to end up as 'feel good' stories concerning Peavey gear, the company, and the man himself...the kind that make you want to support an old time American Co. that tries to do what it does well (cue mx, small town America images, children waving little flags etc.)...it's nice to be nice to the nice.
Seriously. Every guitar playing kid I know (in their early 20s) started out on a Peavey Bandit, or something even smaller.

And "Transtube", that stuff was dope!
21st June 2003
Old 21st June 2003
One with big hooves

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Jay Kahrs Send a message via Skype™ to Jay Kahrs
Quote:
Originally posted by blackcatdigi
Unfortunately, with the possible exception of the Classics, it seems they immediately discontinue all the good stuff they come up with!
Yeah, tell me about it. They haven't killed the 5150 yet but that's either great or it sucks depending on who you talk to. Anything that's universally loved gets axed. I have a VMP-2 which sits right to my Telefunkens, Neve, Daking etc. pres without a problem. I also have a Valverb which is great. Right now it's sitting in my effects rack but I should really yank it out so I can stick it in front of a guitar amp when I need to.

Some of their guitars and basses have been great but don't sell because there's no resale value on them. I used to work at a store that was a Peavey dealer and some of the best basses in the store were PV's. We also had Pedulla, a few Ken Smiths, Fender and a few others. I can't tell you how many people would play a PV bass and say "If it didn't say Peavey on the headstock I'd buy it".
mooseaudio.bandcamp.com
Quote:
All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...
21st June 2003
Old 21st June 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
... how many people would play a PV bass and say "If it didn't say Peavey on the headstock I'd buy it".
Sad but true. The first bass i played was a pv Dyna Bass - 4 string and active onboard preamp through a ProBass preamp and CS-800 biamping a PV 4x12 and dual 15" cab. wow was that too loud for the garage...

A friend of mine still has the bass, it still plays and records well. and speaking of recording well... the PV Predator guitars were really cool cheap strat copies.. put some tuners on there and you had that thin 60s strat tone cold.
21st June 2003
Old 21st June 2003
Lives for gear

t-shirts....swag...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search