How to cut natural reverb from vocals
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

How to cut natural reverb from vocals

Is there any way to cut out as much of the natural reverb on the vocal track as possible? The vocal was recorded in a poor setting that picked up too much natural reverb.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

You can try playing with release times on a gate, but you will end up deciding to recut the vocal anyway.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
You can try playing with release times on a gate, but you will end up deciding to recut the vocal anyway.
Alright, I'll try that. Thanks. I hope I don't have to recut, but we'll see.
Old 16th June 2010
Gear maniac

a Cedar (or the Waves WNS) can work to remove some the ambience.

Tim
Old 16th June 2010
Gear Head

...try GAG (golden Audio Gate) by kjaerhus.
very versatile gate!
try also playing with attenuation, you might reach more natural sounding results, by attenuating the reverb, than by fully cutting it out.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

SonicWORX Isolate can remove some of the ambience. Use either or both the denoising tool or the "reduce background instruments" tool.
Old 16th June 2010
Gear interested

Spl de-verb plug-in works a treat
Old 16th June 2010
Gear addict

i use the transient mod plug that comes with cubase...i'm sure spl, stillwell, flux, or whoever would work just as well. just got done mixing/mastering a spoken word project with too much room ambience on everything and it was a lifesaver. just turn the release down as far as you can without it sounding bad.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

If you work with Logic the Onboard Transient designer is not bad in this I just had the same case afew days ago if one instance is not doing it take another one.

I found that this designer is affecting the vocals not so much as other options in the market.thumbsup
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Hey guys, thanks for all the tips. I will look into these suggestions and see what I can do.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HOLMES View Post
If you work with Logic the Onboard Transient designer is not bad in this I just had the same case afew days ago if one instance is not doing it take another one.

I found that this designer is affecting the vocals not so much as other options in the market.thumbsup
I do work with Logic, thanks!
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNYC View Post
I do work with Logic, thanks!
Great I think in some cases it works better as the SPL one so to me there is no need to buy another one.

This one is also great for removing to long base drums.
You can make the base drum with this one nearly absolute dry a thing that I love when mixing.... gating is to me always pain pain pain.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Bob Katzs K-Stereo developed by Algorithmix (PC only)
Old 16th June 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllubi View Post
Bob Katzs K-Stereo developed by Algorithmix (PC only)
800 bucks...
Old 16th June 2010
Gear addict

would it be too much of a pain to automate the volume - drop the level immediately after words/phrases? Maybe an automated EQ could help too.
Old 16th June 2010
Gear addict

maybe compressor on aux reverb can help
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

figure out how to record just reverb part on a separate track then cancel
it out of the original .
Old 16th June 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Is there any way to cut out as much of the natural reverb on the vocal track as possible? The vocal was recorded in a poor setting that picked up too much natural reverb.
There is no satisfactory way. You can use a gate but it'll make the vocals sound choppy. I suppose if you'd really good and don't mind maddeningly tedious work you could try hand editing in a DAW, redrawing the signal at the ends of phrases, but that won't do anything for the muddy sound DURING the phrase. And the ends still probably won't sound right.

So no, there is no satisfactory way. Recut the vocal or live with it.
Old 16th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy View Post
Spl de-verb plug-in works a treat
Very very good! .
Definitely what your looking for.

Demo it and you'll see. It's cheap and very you will use it again.

SPL De-Verb

Only €59 or £48.
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by diogo_c View Post
800 bucks...

K-Stereo is ACE!! Couldn't think of a more inappropriate tool for this job though

The best, and most transparent tool for this job is just editing it by hand and making appropriate use of fades. You will not be 100% happy with the results though, guaranteed. Hope that helps
Old 17th June 2010
Gear maniac

Try using a multi-band expander/gate like the Waves C4 or McDSP ML4000 to expand/gate the high frequencies only. Most of the room noise exists in those frequencies, and the only part of the voice that exists there are transients. So a fast attack and release should let them poke through. You almost don't hear it working, if set up properly, and it's more transparent than a broadband expander. We use this technique on all the spoken word recordings we do, by default.
Old 17th June 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeAl View Post
+1. gate is your best bet, but a recut would probably be the ideal solution.
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:

you will end-up doing more harm than good. you will find yourself fighting a lost battle. live with what you have and move on.
Old 17th June 2010
Gear interested

Listen through the recording to find words that are masked by the reverb. Loop this section of audio and with a wide Q eq, cutting around -6db, sweep around the area that appears to have the room build up until you hear the performance become clearer (there are usually two distinct bands for each identifiable build up). Reduce the amount of db cut as much as possible without losing the clarity you have gained (I suggest -3 to -4db - the aim is to reduce the perceived roominess without cutting too much of the signal as, the more you have to increase it to compensate, the more you bring up the room and general noise floor)

Now with narrow band eq's, go through and reduce the reasonant frequencies that are most attention grabbing in these areas. I would suggest not more than -7db as you start to create noticeable, adverse phase shifting. You could use a linear phase eq but I generally use apQualizr due to the amount of bands often required to fix these problems.

When doing this I always pull back a little with my cuts so as not to lose too much of the signal and when cutting I close my eyes so I can pay closer attention. A/B constantly to make sure you haven't gone too far and check you Q values.

I only cut with eq when doing this procedure

Avoid compression.

Volume map your levels up so you need to compress less (compressing post fader)

When compressing use slow release times so you don't expose the room so much at the end of words.

When volume mapping out the tails, start cutting before the word has finished so the transition isn't so obvious.

Use additional, intentional reverb to mask the embedded stuff

Use tone or hiss to mask some of the verb

There's a bunch of other stuff you can do searching for prolonged frequencies that don't move rhythmically in sequence with the performance but explaining is not so easy.

You can also look at modal room calculation but I find using my ears gets a better result.

Good luck,
Hope that helps
Old 17th June 2010
Gear interested

Oh and +1 on multi-band expansion (thought I find the C4 has serious phase problems)
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search