Guitar Zero
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Busby Electronics Tube Mixer and Tube Preamps

31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Gear maniac

Oh my. I am very interested in this little product. Very interested indeed...
Great concept... especially the 500 series slots.
I wonder if they could put a talkback button in there for me? <grin>
B.
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Gear nut

Someone over here bought one but hasn't posted a review yet.
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

I wonder if that mixer is 19''......... love to put one in the the rack.
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010

woohoo! there's even a 16 channel version..

matt
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

that preamp looks great - nice price also for 2 channels...
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

That mixer looks really nice. It's reminiscent of the original Putnam 610 modules. Very cool.
Guitar Zero
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
that preamp looks great - nice price also for 2 channels...
No kidding. If it sounds great, it's a steal. Someone hurry up and buy one and give us a report!
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Zero View Post
No kidding. If it sounds great, it's a steal. Someone hurry up and buy one and give us a report!
Who are these guys and how long have they been in business? Also, do they have any credibility?
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Mixer looks great. A few random questions:

Do the '1' & '2' buttons select panning to left & right busses AND send bus?
Is the send pre fader?
Do the line inputs go through the tube stages of the pre-amp?
Guitar Zero
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Who are these guys and how long have they been in business? Also, do they have any credibility?
That's the million dollar question.
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Wow. The audio samples sound great too. I wonder if they'd do a mastering console?
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

The looks of the console reminds me on this one !!!!

Yes indeed a modern version of the 610 console.

greetz,

Paul
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

I don't get where the 500 modules go....

where are the expansion slots????? are they the top tier or bottom, or elsewhere?????? i don't see any screw patterns that would allow for 500 placement.
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

where are the expansion slots????? are they the top tier or bottom, or elsewhere?????? i don't see any screw patterns that would allow for 500 placement.
I've been studying that photo for ages and I still can't work it out. Its definitely not the bottom tier. I'd guess they go where the green parts of the line modules are and I estimate that the whole mixer could be rack-mountable and about 8 units tall.
31st May 2010
Old 31st May 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapehiss View Post

I'm guessing in the slots at the top that are currently filled with the line units (as it says in the product description and diagrams BTW)

I'm not sure that it would look so cool once loaded with modules, unfortunately, still it looks pretty cool without

matt
1st June 2010
Old 1st June 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
I'm guessing in the slots at the top that are currently filled with the line units (as it says in the product description and diagrams BTW)

I'm not sure that it would look so cool once loaded with modules, unfortunately, still it looks pretty cool without

matt
That's exactly where they go in the line unit slots they can be modified to accept double width 500 Series modules a major plus ! I emailed Donn and asked him about that option. They are some really forward thinking people over at Busby electronics.
1st June 2010
Old 1st June 2010

IF I were getting one, I'd see if he can make replacement front panels for my 500 series units with the mixers colours, so match better, purely for aesthetic reasons.. it just looks so nice how it is..

matt
1st June 2010
Old 1st June 2010
Lives for gear

this looks really interesting indeed. the price is amazing if its actually well made. but am i right in that there is no countinous panning? either hard left, right or center?
22nd June 2010
Old 22nd June 2010
Gear nut

well i dont think it will see the light of day since they havent responded to my email asking them to take my money
Guitar Zero
22nd June 2010
Old 22nd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinganalog View Post
well i dont think it will see the light of day since they havent responded to my email asking them to take my money
That's not a good sign
23rd June 2010
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

I'll take that email

Quote:
23rd June 2010
Old 23rd June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I received a response from them immediately when questing about their 6 channel tube mixer....

Try a re-send??????
2nd July 2010
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

Reeaaally sexy!! Damn, it's such a candy!
2nd July 2010
Old 2nd July 2010
Lives for gear

bump.

Very cool item. Has the Putnam vibe all over (minus the rust, oxidation, and leaky caps).

I wish them much success with this product, and hopefully many more to come!
t_d
10th July 2010
Old 10th July 2010
t_d
Lives for gear

my current just-out-of-reach lust item is for an old, really vibey, (dirty is OK, too) mixer... for a while it was going to be the Studer 169.. until i found out there is no panning at all on that board... which may take it out of the running (unless i'm wrong on that)..

but this Busby.. while it doesn't have the vintage quirks and dirty, looks like it would fit the bill reallllly nicely. too bad it's only 6 channels tho (16 is WAY out of budget)..
18th July 2010
Old 18th July 2010
Gear interested

Greetings from Busby Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by colony nofi View Post
Oh my. I am very interested in this little product. Very interested indeed...
Great concept... especially the 500 series slots.
I wonder if they could put a talkback button in there for me? <grin>
B.
Hello fellow gearslutz!
I apologize for not signing on sooner, it's been a busy few months. I wanted to check in and say "hi" and thank you for all the kind comments and compliments on the Busby gear.

I'll answer some questions here.
Yes, a talkback module is at least on the drawing board, and would fit into either one of the 500 slots, or the master section.

The board is not part of the TLA tube family of sound. Our preamp uses 2 stages of 6au6, the outputs and direct output buffers use 12BH7. Mic inputs are transformer balanced, direct outputs can be unbalanced or optionally transformer balanced. The choice of transformer manufacturer/model will affect the sound to some extent. The sound is further modifiable depending on the settings of pads and preamp gain.

I am definitely influenced by Putnam's 610 console, I owned a 12 channel version in the early 80s, very rusted, corroded, missing psu, etc. I foolishly let it go in trade for tube mics... The Busby console fills my need to right that wrong :-)

Kinganalog, by all means send another email, I don't have record of one under that name. I am building 2 mixers at this time, a stock 6 channel and Reese's 8 channel one. I am not going to take any more orders until these two are completed. They are the first official builds, circuits have thus far been built up in prototype format.

Just before the big scare of a recession, Busby got quotes from a few metal work shops in BC to fabricate the chassis. We want to keep production as close to home as possible, and also have control over customizing orders. Our work orders were not big enough to warrant even getting quotes back from companies, so I researched cnc machines capable of producing the chassis and pc boards. A few months ago I took delivery of a cnc machine and began production, with a period of learning. A major breakdown of controller put production behind by about 3 weeks.
On June 30th, I received word that the building that houses me and the Busby workshops was needed for family emergency, which has caused a second delay as I prepare to move to a new found location. Production should recommence in the second week of August. The present economic climate has presented some very real challenges, but Busby is a small enough company to change game plan to overcome most problems quickly.

Concurrent with the build of the mixers, we are also building the first two units of the 2Rack, which houses the same preamp/buffer as the mixer.

The price is based on low margin, direct sale. The business model is designed based on 300 units over 3 years total for worldwide sales.

Many elements of the design can be customized. This includes the replacement of the left/middle/right concept with a continuous pan. Much of the initial design is based on my likes - I'm not a fan of continuous pan on the mixer, I'd rather affect placement through stereo pickup in the initial recording, or time delay on mix, but that's just me. I have quoted on 2 mixers using continuous pan, and also on one that includes a second auxiliary send.

Matt, we should be able to accommodate new face panels for 500 series modules, as our shop is set up to do the entire metal work processes. There would obviously be a cost attached. Noting the 610 console of Neil Young, the muted green wasn't stock. My 610 console was all black and silver, completely stock. Interestingly, I had not seen Neil's mixer before designing mine, I was using colours from my parents' living room.

The 500 series modules do go in the top slots. I will design a special faceplate to accommodate the few dual space 500 modules in the market.
The slots will also house our own eq and compressor modules at a future date, hopefully some time in 2011, unless an industrious user comes up with one sooner. We will fully divulge the pin requirements to interested parties to facilitate custom accessories.

The six channel version of the mixer is rack mountable.

We will do a mastering console at some point.

Line inputs can be fed through the same inputs as the mics, effectively reduced by pads before the transformer, as many of the older consoles did it. The standard design allows one to inject a line level signal directly into the output buffer when the corresponding channel is being fed to the main outputs. This allows one to use the tube amplification to "warm" or colour the sound of that input, although the resulting signal is only accessible via the direct output. It was designed this way so as not to waste the buffer when it wasn't used by the channel.

I have been a studio engineer since the mid-seventies, a professional musician since before that. In the past decade I have purchased many pieces of vintage gear built in the 30s through the 60s and am always amazed at how it can be brought back to life with very little effort. That ethic is the basis of my design. I want the Busby products to never be discarded to the scrap heap, and will do everything in my power to fulfill this policy. I want the products to be able to be repaired in the field by qualified end users or electronics repair people with basic knowledge. I want end users to play a part in modifying the design to fit the needs of a varied market. I want the products to be fun while being productive!

I also want to keep production in Canada, and also look at the possibility of having production occur in other countries where the ultimate purchase will be made. This would help keep shipping costs down and ensure more local support. As long as I'm heading up Busby, production will not move offshore except to service that market. Busby will also limit production to some extent to ensure that support can be given.

Thank you for the interest that you all have in the Busby products. Back to packing and moving now. I'll endeavor to answer any queries as promptly as possible on this list.

Cheers,
Donn
18th July 2010
Old 18th July 2010
Gear addict

this mixer looks awesome! i would love to hear some side by side mixes if possible! the customization options look super interesting! i want one!! someday...
19th July 2010
Old 19th July 2010
Gear nut

19th July 2010
Old 19th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chess999 View Post
why not just get this and save alot of money.

Lancaster Amplification L.A.N. 8 Channel Line Level Tube Mixer
Don't see 6 mic preamps, 6 500 series slots, Aux sends, etc on that link.

I've got an advice too. A major studio should go for a Mackie instead of an SSL. It would save them a lot of money.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search