Best sheilded RCA cables
skiroy
29th May 2010
Old 29th May 2010
Lives for gear

Best sheilded RCA cables

Hey guys I have to run a RCA cable from a turntable to my phono input on my BIG Knob. Its about 15-20 feet away and has to be need other signal and power wires. Sound quality is important. So the question is. Is this distance a problem with RCA and can shielding completely stop and degradation of the signal?

With these two questions in mind,what is the best cable I can get to ensure sound quality?
skiroy
12th June 2010
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear

bump
12th June 2010
Old 12th June 2010
Lives for gear
I don't think 15-20 feet is too long for line level signals via RCA, although it could be pushing it for a low-level signal such as phono output. If sound quality is really important, I'd place a small phono preamp right at the turntable and run line level to the Big Knob... which begs the question, if sound quality is really important, why are you using the phono stage on the Big Knob in the first place?
skiroy
13th June 2010
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
I don't think 15-20 feet is too long for line level signals via RCA, although it could be pushing it for a low-level signal such as phono output. If sound quality is really important, I'd place a small phono preamp right at the turntable and run line level to the Big Knob... which begs the question, if sound quality is really important, why are you using the phono stage on the Big Knob in the first place?
Well I was told the big knob phono pre was good. Id be using it for sampling the record into something like a MPC.
13th June 2010
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

As far as I understand, a phono cardridge has to see a certain resistive (amp) and capacitive load to perform well.
The capacitive load is mainly the RCA lead.
Most record players I have seen come with a factory fixed 1.2 meter (4 feet) cable.
Shorter or longer than this, or a different cable can/will give problems.
19th June 2010
Old 19th June 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiroy View Post
Hey guys I have to run a RCA cable from a turntable....15-20 feet away and has to be need other signal and power wires. Sound quality is important..... Is this distance a problem with RCA and can shielding completely stop and degradation of the signal?

With these two questions in mind,what is the best cable I can get to ensure sound quality?
Big question and too many choices If you want to run a longer cable signal with unbalanced wire (15-20') you actually want a wire with MORE shielding to help keep out any unwanted noise. A bigger gauge is probably better too 22 awg+.

Canare and Mogami are the best-selling wires in North-America.
Mogami 2524 (very popular), Mogami 2497 (borderline audiophile wire), Canare GS-6 (20 gauge, but flexible), Canare GS-4 (smaller version), and I'm sure there is a lot more out there. Gepco, Gotham, Belden, etc.
20th June 2010
Old 20th June 2010
Lives for gear

Most MM phono cardridges need a resistive loading of about 50kohm (pre-amp) and a capacitive loading of 100-200pF (cable). This includes the capacitance of the wiring inside the record player, like inside the tonearm.

Good to use quality cable, but you soon will be at the limit of 200pF with cable length. You loose high frequency performance, no matter how good the cable is.

e.g. Mogami 2525 is about 40pF/foot, so 20 feet is 800pF of capacitance. About 5 times the recommended amount for the element.

To answer the question of the O.P. "What is the best cable I can get to ensure good sound quality", Answer: 4 Feet!

Better move the record player in closer, or get a phone pre-amp. The output wiring can then be as long as you like.
20th June 2010
Old 20th June 2010
Lives for gear

I have some unbalanced connections in my studio and use Mogami 20' cables from REDCO. Inexpensive but with mogami resolution. They're good cables and you won't have any problems with 20'.

Forgot to mention, yes, have some 20' RCA to Phono cables of the same type through REDCO. Brilliant cables...no noise...excellent resolution.
20th June 2010
Old 20th June 2010
Lives for gear

Re: Best sheilded RCA cables

For quality cables, phono plug to phono plug, I tend to use balanced cable - I connect -ve and screen at one end only, so it's running as if balanced with the screen unconnected at the far end.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search