Login / Register

damaged dust cap (on ASP8), replacement caps or woofers not available...
New Reply
Subscribe
kwhubby
14th May 2010
Old 14th May 2010
Gear Head

damaged dust cap (on ASP8), replacement caps or woofers not available...

Hello,
My Event Studio Precision 8 monitors got damaged, well vandalized, and one of the woofer's dust caps were ripped off/a chunk off. I called Event, well actually Rode now and they do not have woofers or dust caps available apparently due to manufacturing problems but might someday have woofers (not dustcaps). I am wondering what I should do. I could either: super glue the dust cap back together and back onto the woofer, or get a new dust cap of questionable similarity to replace the old one. Either situation I figure I am going to have some alteration of the physical properties that will affect the sound, I'm just wondering what would be the best option. I figure a new woofer (if ever available) would be off from the aged woofer but a new to spec dust cap would be best.
I can't find really any options for dust caps, but the closest thing I found was Amazon.com: 2-1/2" Poly Dust Cap: Electronics This doesn't tell me anything about the mass, stiffness etc compared to the original and it's not "mineral-filled" polypropylene.
Does anybody know any sources that could provide me with dust caps? Or any other advise/ suggestions?
Thanks
Deleted User
14th May 2010
Old 14th May 2010
Deleted User

You're going to have a ton of problems trying to find glue that will work properly... Super glue isn't going to cut it. Poly cones usually are made with a special glue, with cone/dustcap chemical prep.

There have to be replacement drivers somewhere... As to where to find them, I can't help, but poly cones are damn near impossible to work with.

Good luck...
14th May 2010
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

I put a pair of new paper cones on a set of JBL drivers for some older studio monitors I picked up for free. I realize paper is a different beast than the poly stuff, and I have no experience with poly. I mention all this because I came across a number of places with speaker parts. Here are a couple of them:

DUST CAPS from Parts Express ship same day and come with 45 day money back guarantee. Free Shipping Available. Order free 10,000 product catalog.

Orange County Speaker Repair - GLS Audio Wholesale: Dust Cap Kits

These places have a couple different types of glue and one of their areas of expertise is providing speaker rebuild/ recone/ recap parts. I suggest to do a little searching around on either or both sites (or do a little more looking online--maybe you'll find a better place than these two). After the little bit of searching, try contacting someone at one of these places I listed here (or another place!) and verify a choice or find if they have a specific suggestion.

BTW--bummer about your driver. That really sucks. I have a pair of SP 6 boxes and I had to replace one of the drivers, and some amp parts. Well, I did not do it, I had my repair folks do it, but they had no problem getting a new driver from Event/ Rode. But that was most of a year ago, so who knows what their situation is these days. What a series of frustrations. I really hope you are able to find the right cement to re-apply the dust cap. That seems like the best option--assuming your dust cap is not too damaged.

Oh, here's another thought... if you are not sure a replacement dust cap will match sonically, you could buy TWO new dust caps and replace them on BOTH drivers for your stereo pair and thus maintain a consistent stereo image. A little more work, but maybe worth considering. You could replace the damaged one first, compare the boxes to verify that they do (or don't) still sound the same before committing yourself to changing up both speakers. Just a thought.
14th May 2010
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

I would certainly try glueing the bits together. You have nothing to lose by doing this, and I suspect that you will end up with a perfectly satisfactory repair. A polyeurethane glue would very likey produce a good result. Dust caps in general do not actually have a very great effect on the performance of speakers. They are not physically loaded in the same way as the cone proper, and are not normally subject to breakup modes. They are very small in relation to the size of the main part of the cone, and thus only contribute a minor element of the sound.
14th May 2010
Old 14th May 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not too optimistic about repairing the dust cap, you'll end up with at least as much change in characteristics due to the weight of the glue and it'll be asymmetric (not likely a huge problem). I'd go with Orange County's recommendation, both for type and size of cap and the glue.
kwhubby
15th May 2010
Old 15th May 2010
Gear Head

Thanks for the replies! If anybody CAN find a replacement woofer that would be amazing. I like the Orange County Speaker Repair link, in particular the glue interests me. The unfortunate thing about that orange county website is that the dust caps they sell are the wrong material and dimension 2 3/4 inch felt instead of 2 1/2 inch poly- therefore I think the parts express solution looks better.
More about the glue, the original glue looks and feels almost like hot glue (rubbery somewhat pliable and clear with a light amber hue). Parts express recommends super glue for their dust cap.

I am going to try to repair the old dust cap as well as probably purchase one of the parts express parts for now. I think I am going to weigh the original cap pieces and see how significantly the weight difference is after I glue it back together. If the replacement is closer to the original weight I will use it.
I am feeling confused now on the glue part, but I did figure based on parts express that super glue will be a good solution at least for repairing the old cap with a good bonding/ weight ratio and will dry hard instead of rubbery. If I could find a more suitable glue that's not going to be thick and heavy I will use it instead. I might just buy that XL69 glue from orange county speakers.
Thanks
kwhubby
19th May 2010
Old 19th May 2010
Gear Head

Well I finished repairing the speaker (for now) and it seems to sound fine. I used superglue for repairing the pieces and cracks back together. I found a special super glue that came with a "primer" specifically designed for polypropylene. Tested this glue on some stray pieces of PP around and it holds well. I tried weighing the cap before and after to find that the mass was within .01 grams before and after at 1.55g, so no measurable difference on the cap mass.
I then used hot glue to reattach the dust cap to the cone. There was already a type of hot glue there, so I didn't have to add too much glue here, just melt the old glue.
It doesn't look as pretty as the unaffected speaker but it seems to sound fine. The woofers never really did match 100% before hand, it seemed like one of the woofers always had far greater excursion on the really low frequencies.
I put new tweeters on that I ordered (they were damaged too), and they sounds good.
19th May 2010
Old 19th May 2010
Lives for gear

Ah! Success! I am so happy to hear that you were able to repair your speaker satisfactorily. That is really good news.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search