Speeding up already recorded tracks using elastic audio
New Reply
Subscribe
mikethedrummer
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Speeding up already recorded tracks using elastic audio

I recorded a track and after listening to it the band thinks its a little too slow and would like it sped up a few BPM. My research hasn't gotten me very far.

The drums are already cut up and quantized to a grid, my worst case scenario would just involve me manually regridding the drums at a faster tempo, but I know elastic audio can do this for me.

So I know to change the tracks to ticks, and to arm the elastic audio on all of them, but I'm not sure which setting to use. I tried X-Form and speeding up the tempo but all the tracks turned to white and were no longer audible. Should I have just waited because the computer was processing or did I mess something up..

A walk through on this or some advice or a link to somewhere with this info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010
Gear addict

Yes you should have just waited, although X-Form can take a long time to process.

Start with the obvious settings. Rhythmic for drums, monophonic for bass and vocals, polyphonic for guitars, keys etc. If you start getting artifacts on a particular track, try switching it to X-Form to see if that helps. Chapter 38 in the PT Reference Guide.
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

x form takes like 20 minutes per side of 1 stereo track

basically all you do is change the tracks to ticks, select the proper algorithm (rythmatic for drums, etc) then change the tempo in the top left hand corner of the timeline (not on the transport)

just mess around with what sounds good, when you have them all sounding good, turn on x form and come back in 4 hours

(ps to see the status there is a hot key but i forget it at work right now)
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen View Post
You know you can do this easier, and IMO, with less opportunity for issues, after it is mixed.

Good luck!!!

D
Unless you're happy to varispeed, strongly disagree. The implication here is that only the drums have been recorded, hence it makes no sense no to sort it now. Speeding up drums is a cinch!
mikethedrummer
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010
Lives for gear

Very cool guys I really appreciate it. My computer is fast as hell so I wasn't sure, especially since no processing bar came up showing progress. I.E, in beat detective, filling and crossfading a 3 minute song chopped to hell and back only took a minute to process. I'll have to try it later tonight after the session. Guitars are recorded as well but no bass, vocals, percussion, etc. I'll try the settings you guys recommended.

sank you!
20th April 2010
Old 20th April 2010

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
Very cool guys I really appreciate it. My computer is fast as hell so I wasn't sure, especially since no processing bar came up showing progress. I.E, in beat detective, filling and crossfading a 3 minute song chopped to hell and back only took a minute to process. I'll have to try it later tonight after the session. Guitars are recorded as well but no bass, vocals, percussion, etc. I'll try the settings you guys recommended.

sank you!
Open task manager to see the processing bar.
21st April 2010
Old 21st April 2010

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreen View Post
I missed that it was just the drums.
In that case, re-track them at the right tempo.

D
Very noble.

In the real world, not always possible. EA is perfectly acceptable in this case.

As it happens, assuming he still has a session with the edits in (ie he hasn't consolidated) then it should work if he just sets the tracks to ticks and changes the tempo. Will require checking, but quicker than re-editing. In case you didn't notice, it's already edited to grid - so re-recording hardly worth it.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search