Live sound mixer under $1000
daddygreene
14th April 2010
Old 14th April 2010
Gear interested

Live sound mixer under $1000

My son's band is looking to purchase a new (used) mixer for their band. Their budget is $1000 or less.

I have an opportunity to purchase a virtually brand new (used inside less than 6 months) Yamaha MG32/14FX board from a local source for $600. They have purchased another board and willing to sell it to us to help these boys out.

Although the band don't need 32 channels, they do need a minimum of 16 and some effects.

Is there another board out there in this price range (new or used) that anyone would recommend as a better live sound mixer? I would prefer nothing over 2 years old, but still under warranty or new warranty would be great.

I've looked at the A&H WZ3 16:2 MixWizard but they will max that out almost right off the bat. Could make it work if you guys thought it was a smarter purchase. ?????

Any others we should consider?

This thread may need to be in Low End Theory....sorry!
pbs
14th April 2010
Old 14th April 2010
pbs
Gear Head

A band I work for sometimes has the yamaha you mentioned. The built in effects are very useable (even has tap tempo delay). My main complaint is the eq isn't super flexible. It has a variable mid frequancy, but a variable lo mid and hi mid would be much nicer.

For a low level board though it can do a lot. Not sure if that helps at all...
14th April 2010
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Yamaha MG line never worked for me, mackie did...
daddygreene
14th April 2010
Old 14th April 2010
Gear interested

What about the MG line did not perform well for you?
That certainly concerns me.

Thanks in advance for input from all.
14th April 2010
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

I have a Yamaha MG16/4 (no FX) and it works quite well. I think it is a good series.
14th April 2010
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

I own and use an A&H MixWizard all the time. I have owned and worked on a bunch of other boards and the 16:2 is simply wonderful for the price range you are describing. It is more durable, you can get an external power supply, it is expandable via the Sys Link optional card, the board sounds good, the eq is good, the preamps are better than a lot of similarly priced boards, it has some wonderful routing options,...

Durable: each channel has its own card, not so for the Mackie and Yamaha boards. For the same reason, the A&H boards can be repaired, whereas the boards that are one giant circuit board and very expensive to have someone trace problems on.

I have mine set in a pop-up rack, so all the out-board processors are sitting right below the board in the rack, always connected, making my set up time in a dark room faster. Of course you could do this same thing with a Mackie, Yamaha or Soundcraft rack-mountable board.

If 16 is the max these guys need, then go for the MixWizard. If they need 17 or 18 channels, maybe there is some item that can be reduced--share one mic for two toms, mic a guitar cab mono, not stereo, ... just a thought.

This board has SIX aux sends. The built-in effects are okay, that takes up 5 and 6 if you want the effects there. That leave you with four monitor mixes which a lot of boards in the $1,000.00 price range do not offer. Four monitor mixes is something worth considering.

I could go on and on about this board. Look it up and read the specs. It really does tend to offer more for the price than a lot of other gear. It retains its value well and they are often available used on eBay or at the used section on Guitar Center.

Not everyone will agree with me on my praise for this board, but I have had excellent experiences with the MixWizard, both mine and other folks' boards. Not so with Mackie boards and the Yamaha boards I have used simply did not sound as good to me. I admit I have not used any of the new Soundcraft boards, but I think they creep out of your price range.
14th April 2010
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

+ 1 on the A&H Mixwizard. Excellent small board. If you are worried that they are going to eat up the inputs, get a second submixer for the drums (I'm guessing that this is where your channels are getting eaten up).

You should be able to dig one up for 5-600 dollars.
14th April 2010
Old 14th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddygreene View Post
What about the MG line did not perform well for you?
That certainly concerns me.

Thanks in advance for input from all.
The eq didn't work the way it was supposed to, the pres and summing didn't do what I wanted them to do)
With a mackie board, even if its a tiny one and has only 3 band eq- the eq works. With yamaha MG series and cheap Soundcrafts it does not, I just can't get the sound I want to...
Of Course MIDAS desks that I work on some times too give me a lot more options- but I still can make it sound good to me with a mackie...
P.S. I wouldn't get 32 channel board- its too bulky to carry around and the built in effects on the boards never worked to me, any cheapo reverb unit that you buy for 100$ (Lexicon Alex, alesis midiverb) works a lot better, and has more options
daddygreene
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Gear interested

I'm just wondering if the smart money isn't to pay the $600 for the practically new 32 channel Yamaha board right now. Even if we had to purchase a reverb unit or EQ to add to it (maybe, maybe not) at that price wouldn't that be a good move for the band and enable them to expand without growing out of the mixer for a year or two?

I know the A&H Mixwizard is an awesome mixer, I just don't know if it's worth the extra money given the limitation of channels it presents right off the bat. To get a Mixwizard for $600 it's probably going to be a lot older version and in no telling what shape.

Sure would like to hear some other input on the Yamaha.
Has anyone else used this mixer live and what are your opinions of the MG32/14fx?
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Banned

What part of the country are you in?

You can't beat the Mackie Onyx mixers for the money.
Those or the A&H miz wizards.

Don't go for the number of channels.

I am pretty impressed by the PreSonus things with all the automation, lights and stuff.
I forget the model number.

Haha..... I was going to be "funny" and say that I am a "Live Sound Mixer Under $1000."
My day rate is only $500.00.
(not funny, huh?)
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Gear maniac

MixWizard

The 4-band EQ in the Mix Wizard kills anything else in it's price range. If anyone in your son's band plays acoustic guitar, that's the mixer to buy...

Dave/Suspect Studios

www.suspectstudios.com
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

thumbsup+1 on the A&H Mix Wiz
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

I dunno guys, for the "son's band" scenario, the yamaha should be totally fine - it has what they need without adding external fx or "drum submixer", and is way affordable. The mix-wiz is probably a little nicer, but is more expensive (right?) and not enough channels... if I were him I'd go for the mg - maybe not gs-approved, but looks like a smart buy.
Deleted User
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Deleted User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
...but looks like a smart buy.
Bullsh!t. More isn't always better bro...

The AH desk is actually great. Really good mic amps, great EQ... Plenty of routing and flexibility for a desk for that caliber...

There are built in effects that will get the job done... Fvck, if you're relying on effects that much you better have dedicated boxes or find a different line of work...

The AH board is actually a tool, where all of the affordable yammie things that I've laid my hands on have been toys...

AH also has their 2000 series stuff to take a look at... As well as entry level soundcraft stuff...

Good luck...
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

Really, don't sacrifice quality for more channels. I ran live sound for bands for many years with a 16 channel board. I would be willing to bet serious cash that your son's band could squeeze things down to 16 channels.

And here is probably the BEST reason to buy the MixWizard.... wait for it....

when your son's band breaks up, because every band does eventually, the MixWizard will still be worth some $$ while the Yamaha you might actually have trouble selling.

Regarding the on-board effects... the Mixwizard has perfectly serviceable delay and reverb. Are you talking about the Yamaha with the compressors? Admittedly, I have not used those compressors, but I doubt they are very useful compared to an affordable rack unit.

Also, not that it's any of my business, but who will run the board? If they are doing the mixing from on stage, smaller, more accessible easier to view is the way to go--the compact MixWizard does not take up as much valuable floor space.

One more thing... How big are the places these folks intend to perform? What are other bands using in the same setting? I am guessing if they are buying gear to do their own production, these are smaller places where mic'ing everything will be lost. Not always, it depends upon the band, certainly, and the style of music, but typically lots of channels in a small room = wasted space. If they are playing BIG places, they will not be doing their own production, or at least they shouldn't.

Oh yeah, and yet one more thing--if they want a bigger board because it will look impressive, that will be the wrong way to go for sure. I hope that is not the case. I know I would be much more impressed seeing a band with a small but very good mixer like the A&H MixWizard or Soundcraft than to see a much larger Behringer or Yamaha or Carvin or low-end Mackie board.

Okay, I piped in enough. The best of luck to you in helping make the right choice. I certainly wish your son's band the best of luck in their endeavors.
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

2nd hand mix wiz... or a soundcraft spirit

you might even be able to find something like a GL2 or GL2200 in your price range though you'll sacrifice FX for the extra channels.
15th April 2010
Old 15th April 2010
Lives for gear

The EQ alone on the Mix Wiz is worth its weight in getting your sound right. Two sweepable mids, high and low shelves, and a lo cut, means you can likely do without a graphic and you can tailor the hell out of each channel. Agree with above poster re: not needing to mic everything in sight in smaller venues. Use the amps; that's what their for. And a single well placed overhead and a kick will be more coherent and punchy than all the spots you don't need. Hell, a lot of venues won't even require the overhead. No need to run keys stereo either.
daddygreene
16th April 2010
Old 16th April 2010
Gear interested

DECISION MADE!!! I'm going with the A&H WZ3 16:2 MixWizard. Best advice I've heard... "don't compromise quantity and saving a few dollars for quality".

I even got to figuring up our cases we are going to buy and since the MixWiz will fit into a rack case on the top, we eliminate having to purchase a road case for the Yamaha so the money is about the same. Plus I have a higher quality, NEW board with a warranty.

Good advice from all.

Can you guys help me decide which is the best powered loudspeakers to purchase now????? I'd like to stay under $5000 on those, if possible. Some suggestions have been QSC K series and Yorkville Unity series. We'd be playing crowds of around 200-500. Sometimes small outdoor but mostly indoor gigs.

Opinions on QSC, Yorkville or others????
Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.
16th April 2010
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddygreene View Post
DECISION MADE!!! I'm going with the A&H WZ3 16:2 MixWizard. Best advice I've heard... "don't compromise quantity and saving a few dollars for quality".

I even got to figuring up our cases we are going to buy and since the MixWiz will fit into a rack case on the top, we eliminate having to purchase a road case for the Yamaha so the money is about the same. Plus I have a higher quality, NEW board with a warranty.

Good advice from all.

Can you guys help me decide which is the best powered loudspeakers to purchase now????? I'd like to stay under $5000 on those, if possible. Some suggestions have been QSC K series and Yorkville Unity series. We'd be playing crowds of around 200-500. Sometimes small outdoor but mostly indoor gigs.

Opinions on QSC, Yorkville or others????
Thanks again for steering me in the right direction.
RCF basically invented modern active loudspeakers. And they produce them in italy, not in china.
You can't go wrong with the RCF
16th April 2010
Old 16th April 2010
Lives for gear

You might get more answers if you start another thread for that.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search