Alicia's Keys Reviews
younglennon
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Gear interested

Alicia's Keys Reviews

Have people used this yet? what are your thought? i got my copy today. So far im very disappointed. When i play the response feels very weird. some notes will be soft some loud. Im not a great player, but i do play a real piano... and even in low latency mode in logic 9 i feel a slight delay... im using a 15in mac book pro unibody with 4gig ram... its also takes a loooong time to load up... i'd like to hear others experiences.
thx
young lennon
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on this as well. I was thinking of picking this up, but I'd like to hear some first hand opinions on it first.
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Sorry, but i find it utterly pointless. What next, the Sid Vicious bass sim selection? The Brian may ukulele collection?
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
Sorry, but i find it utterly pointless. What next, the Sid Vicious bass sim selection? The Brian may ukulele collection?
this reminds of an article i read once in a magazne about a middle age guy who spent over 15 years trying to sound like Brian May. And thousands and thousands of dollars!! Its like .... WHY!?!?!?!?! and he could never get the same sound, even though he had every piece of gear the same! The answer is obviously you are not fvcking brain may!

To the OP, my bad. Just a quick rant!
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

I listened to all the demo's and to me is still sounds a bit fake to me. But then I use SampleTekk White Grand which I've always held in the highest regard
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Gear interested

I mixed a cue last week for a composer who was a beta tester on Alicia's Keys. They didn't fool me for the real thing, but they sat very well in the mix.
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

I'm considering either Sampletekk's TBO or Galaxy II. They're the best I've heard.
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug hazelrigg View Post
I listened to all the demo's and to me is still sounds a bit fake to me. But then I use SampleTekk White Grand which I've always held in the highest regard
+1 on the White Grand
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Lives for gear

It's just a sampled Yamaha C3 with a VERY hip cabinet. Of course you can not hear the cabinet....

But she did want to "show some love" & "encourage you to get your creativity on" ..... I find the whole hipster speak fun and funny!

I'm not that impressed with sampling a 6 foot piano --- although I would love to have the real thing which is WORLDS apart from a sampled instrument.

I would have chosen to sample a 9 foot piano --- of course that has been done before in depth.

Anyone out there loving this more than a 9 foot sampling?
30th March 2010
Old 30th March 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
thumbsup

Nice one...that was a jolly good laugh. They'll do anything to emotionally link consumers to an artist in order to get them to part with hard earned cash to make them feel that little bit closer to them.

Me? I'm waiting on the Tommy Steel 'half a sixpence' transformer mod for my ART MPA. I can't wait to try it out with my Des 'Oconnor voice modulator. ha ha

Zipps
31st March 2010
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

just heard the demo of the white grand and all i can say is that it will be purchased very soon.
31st March 2010
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

If you don't have room for a real piano, this is the stuff to look for when you need a bit of piano in a mix. Granted, if I was to record a 'piano album', I'd rent a room. But I don't understand the auto-rants in this thread, it makes no sense to me.

The question is, if you used it or heard it, did you like it in comparison with other software of the same kind? And how convincing is it, to the real thing?
31st March 2010
Old 31st March 2010
Lives for gear

Funny replies here. I am sure that Alicia did not press the notes of her piano for the sampling sessions. And Thomas Skarbye has built a pretty good reputation with his EP's and Basses. I bet this piano will sound fine, if not everybody's cup of tea.
31st March 2010
Old 31st March 2010
Gear addict

it's just a way for people to feel like they're a little closer to her...as close as they'll ever get, most likely!
1st April 2010
Old 1st April 2010
Lives for gear

its funny, i would consider most alicia keys stuff in general to be some of the worst engineering of the modern genre. good songs though.
2nd April 2010
Old 2nd April 2010
Gear interested

I deleted my last message OP, because the problems you posted did not go away with the suggestions, like I had thought. I A and B'd the library to others, and the latency issue is still there, unfortunately.
9th April 2010
Old 9th April 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglennon View Post
Have people used this yet? what are your thought? i got my copy today. So far im very disappointed. When i play the response feels very weird. some notes will be soft some loud. Im not a great player, but i do play a real piano... and even in low latency mode in logic 9 i feel a slight delay... im using a 15in mac book pro unibody with 4gig ram... its also takes a loooong time to load up... i'd like to hear others experiences.
thx
young lennon

Hi,

I bought this programm yesterday and I'm also disappointed. When I play a note very, very softly, it sounds way too loud. I have a demo of "Galaxy II" and of "Pianissimo" (which is way cheaper than Alicia's Keys) and both programms allow me to play very silent notes.
I'm looking for a way to "fix" this, but I'm afraid that it's not a technical mistake but that the programm is crap. If the latter proves to be true, I will do everything to get my money back.

Regards.
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
Gear interested

Just watched this video of a friendly, if not slightly geeky, guy reviewing the Alicia's Keys sample library.

REVIEW - Kontakt Alicia's Keys piano samples based on Yamaha C3 Neo Video

Sounds fine to me. I rather like it. I play on a 9 Foot Bluthner regularly and I think the Yamaha sound is a great alternative to the german pianos or even a Steinway.

Regarding velocity, there are plenty of velocity curve offsets in the program and most keyboards have velocity curves as well that you really need to play with in order to take advantage of sample velocity switching. I absolutely hate playing certain piano sample libraries on my M-Audio Axiom. The non-weighted keys and the velocity curves in that keyboard make it really hard to get the middle velocity samples to play. It goes straight to 127 really fast. I play the same sample libraries on a weighted keyboard like a Yamaha CP300 or my old Korg SGProX and all the sudden the samples sound and feel amazing. Play around with the velocity curves to calibrate it to your keyboard. That's the reason they have them. Every keyboard is different and so is every player. If you're heavy-handed, then you'll need one that makes you really have to dig in to access the high velocity samples.

Regarding latency. I don't have it so can't comment. That can be a real deal breaker if you don't get it resolved. The video review guy is doing some fast runs and it doesn't seem to exhibit latency probs for him. Sounds like a classical player so you figure he'd be picky about that too.

Hope it shapes up for you and gives you what you were wanting it for.

OD
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenDoerr View Post
.. I absolutely hate playing certain piano sample libraries on my M-Audio Axiom. The non-weighted keys and the velocity curves in that keyboard make it really hard to get the middle velocity samples to play. It goes straight to 127 really fast. ...

OD
Yea I have trouble in that regard with my Axiom.
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
Gear interested

I personally quite like it for certain applications. Have no problem with the velocity layering when playing on my Fatar 900. The sympathetic resonance modelling is quite decent and also the pedal modelling is nice also. It certainly isn't the most versatile piano library out there but it sits very nicely for certain types of material. Really couldn't give a toss if it had alicia keys fronting it or not though and given the choice would prefer something a bit less "branded", the putrid pink interface is a bit of an eye sore to say the least.
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
Gear addict

Thanks, but I'm holding out for John Lennon's J-160E chord progressions fuuck
31st August 2010
Old 31st August 2010
Lives for gear

Yea, don't wanna touch them girly-keys from Alicia, right? Would be bad for manhood.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search