Apogee AD16X + MiniDAC + UAD2-SOLO Laptop
New Reply
Subscribe
trashman
23rd March 2010
Old 23rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Apogee AD16X + MiniDAC + UAD2-SOLO Laptop

I'm thinking about grabbing this setup and I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone with the same chain.

My main concern is direct monitoring. I'm using PC with Nuendo and wonder exactly how to direct monitor analog line inputs on ad16x via the minidac. Will the signal have to pass through DAW? what is the latency like?

Also wondering about cue monitoring thru DAW and UAD2 card. Say I'm cutting a vocal and I want to cue monitor uad2 neve/1176 and reverb ... Is it possible without extreme latency?

I've used analog for so long, I havent had these issues. But I have a job overseas and I need a different setup.
24th March 2010
Old 24th March 2010
Lives for gear

Bump

I'm surprised that no one here uses this setup ... I think you guys are holding out on me!
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
I'm thinking about grabbing this setup and I'm hoping to get some feedback from anyone with the same chain.

My main concern is direct monitoring. I'm using PC with Nuendo and wonder exactly how to direct monitor analog line inputs on ad16x via the minidac. Will the signal have to pass through DAW? what is the latency like?

Also wondering about cue monitoring thru DAW and UAD2 card. Say I'm cutting a vocal and I want to cue monitor uad2 neve/1176 and reverb ... Is it possible without extreme latency?

I've used analog for so long, I havent had these issues. But I have a job overseas and I need a different setup.
bump, as i have the same setup except for UAD 2. one question how are you connecting your ad16x? because I think you need to have a firewire card installed in your ad16x *but only XP and Mac OS compatible, no vista or windows7* I bought me a pci lynx AES16 card. I think the latency depends on the card you use, for example mine is the lynx aes16, and does very good on latency (very low).
trashman
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

Nice to me ya triton92. Thanks for responding.

I was hoping to use the firewire card and apogee asio driver and mixer.

So you must use th lynx card software mixer/routing for your setup? How do you connect the minidac?
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Nice to me ya triton92. Thanks for responding.

I was hoping to use the firewire card and apogee asio driver and mixer.

So you must use th lynx card software mixer/routing for your setup? How do you connect the minidac?
the lynx has to ports on the card port A and Port B. I connect the apogee to port A using a: AES1603 cable. And then I connect a: AES1604 cable also known as *d-sub, which is a snake* on port B. The AES1604 cable has 4 AES outputs, two of them I use to connect to the mini Dac to the DAC's AES inputs *channel 1,2.
trashman
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Lives for gear

You use the Lynx software to select what signals go out to the minidac?
25th March 2010
Old 25th March 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
You use the Lynx software to select what signals go out to the minidac?
yeah!
trashman
26th March 2010
Old 26th March 2010
Lives for gear

thanks man. all the best.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search