Login / Register
 
Cable type for RNC connection - separate Balanced TRS send/returns
New Reply
Subscribe
TyRip
Thread Starter
#1
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
  #1
Gear addict
 
TyRip's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 320

Thread Starter
TyRip is offline
Cable type for RNC connection - separate Balanced TRS send/returns

Yes I have looked at the RNC hookup sheet... it is not covered

Here is the application: Using the send and return jacks on my Metric Halo ULN-2 with the RNC for tracking. I haven't even tried anything yet, I am just wanting to make sure I have it all wired correctly to avoid any porblems that could come up.

The jacks on the ULN2 are balanced TRS and the RNC is unbalanced TS. I just don't know what kind of cable to use and a call to FMR further confused me. They said to use 3 conductor cable with TRS at one end and TS at the other. Only problem is, I don't know what 3-conductor cable is and how to make sure it is wired properly. I am a complete noob with wiring and connections.

I figured as much as the TRS on one end and TS at the other, but I don't know if I should use line or intrument cable (I am pretty sure it is line) and what type.

Thanks.
#2
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: tx
Posts: 8,803

max cooper is offline
Metric Halo says that on output to an unbalanced device, you should float the ground; in other words:

From the ULN to the RNC

connect: Tip of the T/S to Tip of the T/R/S
connect: the shield from the Sleeve of the T/S to the Sleeve of the T/R/S
and don't connect the ring on the TRS to anything (important)
This will isolate (float) it.

From the RNC to the ULN, use a telescoping shield.

connect: Tip of T/S to Tip of T/R/S
connect: Sleeve of T/S to Ring of T/R/S
connect: the shield of the cable to the sleeve of the T/R/S
DON"T connect the shield to anything on the T/S end (in other words, make sure it's not contacting anything.

Cable preferences vary; I've used various kinds. Canare is good. Whatever you're using for microphone cables...
#3
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
zimv20's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,631

zimv20 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyRip
They said to use 3 conductor cable with TRS at one end and TS at the other. Only problem is, I don't know what 3-conductor cable is and how to make sure it is wired properly.
forgive me if you know this already, but they're talking about a y-cable. TRS on the single end and a pair of TS on the other. an off the shelf (line level) cable should work fine.
__________________
She's tidied up and I can't find anything
TyRip
Thread Starter
#4
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
  #4
Gear addict
 
TyRip's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 320

Thread Starter
TyRip is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Metric Halo says that on output to an unbalanced device, you should float the ground; in other words:

From the ULN to the RNC

connect: Tip of the T/S to Tip of the T/R/S
connect: the shield from the Sleeve of the T/S to the Sleeve of the T/R/S
and don't connect the ring on the TRS to anything (important)
This will isolate (float) it.

From the RNC to the ULN, use a telescoping shield.

connect: Tip of T/S to Tip of T/R/S
connect: Sleeve of T/S to Ring of T/R/S
connect: the shield of the cable to the sleeve of the T/R/S
DON"T connect the shield to anything on the T/S end (in other words, make sure it's not contacting anything.

Cable preferences vary; I've used various kinds. Canare is good. Whatever you're using for microphone cables...
Wow, thanks a lot Max.

I would have never got the different wirings for the send and returns.

Great instructions, thanks again.
TyRip
Thread Starter
#5
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
  #5
Gear addict
 
TyRip's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 320

Thread Starter
TyRip is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zimv20
forgive me if you know this already, but they're talking about a y-cable. TRS on the single end and a pair of TS on the other. an off the shelf (line level) cable should work fine.
Maybe that is what they are talking about, but I didn't and still don't get it, because I told him that I had separate, balanced send and return jacks, so a Y cable or regular insert cable is useless to me in this situation.

He confused me with that one, but I kept asking and kept getting the same response so I just let it go and tried to figure it out. However, it seems Max knows what's going on with this situation.
TyRip
Thread Starter
#6
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
  #6
Gear addict
 
TyRip's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Canton, OH
Posts: 320

Thread Starter
TyRip is offline
Actually, I think he was just talking about what Max was saying with having the one conductor isolated on both sides.

That was a little rough for me to understand, but I think it is all making some sense now.
#7
2nd November 2005
Old 2nd November 2005
  #7
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: tx
Posts: 8,803

max cooper is offline
Well, you could use a "y" cable.

the single end would get an input and an ouput from the RNC.

The double end would go into a input/output pair.

Same diff. Just probably easier to use singles with the ULN.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
dangeorge6 / Low End Theory
5
caseyLA / High end
2
audiomichael / So much gear, so little time!
2
Drzayuss / Geekslutz forum
2
Heterodox / So much gear, so little time!
1

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.