What Room Color Inspires Creativity?
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

What Room Color Inspires Creativity?

Starting from scratch, down to bare white walls and ripped out the carpeting.

The room is 11X12, so I can't make it too dark, but I would like to add some color.

If you have photos of your colorful rooms that would be great.
Old 7th March 2010
Allons-y

Keep it white and go for lights/leds you can set to a color along the walls?
then you can change easily to any colored room you'd like.
just an idea.
also gives you a way to test which color inspires the most.
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

I know that would sure make re-painting easy, but since I'm heading to
the hardware store today, it would be great to see some other options.
Old 7th March 2010
Gear addict

Active Colors Active colors, also known as warm colors are shades that include red, orange and yellow.

These colors are full of energy, inspire socialization and often have a dominating presence. They can add intensity to small and boring areas of the home such as the entryway.

In addition, active colors are also celebrated for their ability to inspire creativity. Active, warm paint colors are an excellent choice for the kitchen, dining room and office.

Passive Colors Passive or cool colors include purple, blue and green. Unlike their active cousins, these colors have been designed to blend quietly into the background to encourage relaxation and spiritual restoration. Passive paint colors are an ideal choice for bedrooms, a study and bathrooms.

Neutral Colors Neutral colors are not active, passive, warm, or cold. Neutrals are impartial colors that include white, gray, beige and brown.

Neutral shades are often what bring different rooms together to create harmony between the colors within a home. Darker neutral tones have the power to subdue colors, while white has the power to intensify them.

Neutral paint colors can be used for trim and woodwork for every room. These colors are also a great choice for hallways, living rooms, dining rooms and kitchen. Essentially, any room can benefit from a neutral color scheme.
Old 7th March 2010
RTR
Lives for gear

AYFKM?
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

I was leaning towards sort of a smokey grey blue with white ceiling and trim.

Just worried that might look too cold.

The carpeting needs to have no problem with coffee stains.
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

Ok, some darker yellow/sand color for the carpet. White boardwalls (don't how to explain this in english but from the ground till 100cm heigh its white then some wooden border ridge) 100cm heigh, from that till the ceiling, darker orange. Keep the ceiling white.
Plenty of energy colors, still "warm" to the eye. not claustrophobic effect by the break of the white boardwalls between floor and orange walls.
For your info... this is what my girlfriend is advising you. She just read this thread over my shoulders. She did also my parents place
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

I just ripped out the sand colored carpeting
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

Lol epic! I'm more the wooden floor and warm dark red kind of person.
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

something a bit different...

this is a bit of a strange answer but the colour of creativity is a personal thing and can be related to your star-sign - i could go into depth as to why and how, all relating back to natural physics, but this is a bit lengthy!

colours that do it for me are dark-ish blues, oranges and, of course, silver and black (smart!). i'd probably go nuts in a room that's red, although some people like that. it depends
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFTT View Post
I was leaning towards sort of a smokey grey blue with white ceiling and trim.

Just worried that might look too cold.

The carpeting needs to have no problem with coffee stains.
nice. complimentary colours are always very nice. maybe integrate some warm (but subtle) oranges in there. this could even be in the form of wood panelling
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Lol epic! I'm more the wooden floor and warm dark red kind of person.
I don't have the budget for hardwood floors and a nice oriental throw rug
and solid oak door and floor trim.

That would absolutely be my ultimate preference.

As far as astrological sign. Classic Cancer
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

One source just said aquamarine

But how do you do that in room paint?

My birth stone is Ruby

Old 7th March 2010
Old 7th March 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-the-sax View Post
this is a bit of a strange answer but the colour of creativity is a personal thing and can be related to your star-sign - i could go into depth as to why and how, all relating back to natural physics, but this is a bit lengthy!
Oh no - don't go droppin' hard science into all this!
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

The color test was scary close!

" Relatively inactive and in a static condition, while conflict of one sort or another prevents peace of mind."
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Ok, some darker yellow/sand color for the carpet. White boardwalls (don't how to explain this in english but from the ground till 100cm heigh its white then some wooden border ridge) 100cm heigh, from that till the ceiling, darker orange. Keep the ceiling white.
Plenty of energy colors, still "warm" to the eye. not claustrophobic effect by the break of the white boardwalls between floor and orange walls.
For your info... this is what my girlfriend is advising you. She just read this thread over my shoulders. She did also my parents place

wainscoting with a chair rail is what you are describing I believe.
Old 7th March 2010
Gear maniac

Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

White.

Any other colour will have an emotional effect on you. That effect may be desireable -- or not. Hot colors like yellow and red for instance will be nice for pop, but bad for anything serious.

White is neutral.
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

Yes and White is the color of snow which STILL has not melted up here
and I'm sick of it.

Maybe I'm better off just being creative with the carpet and wall hangings

Like a few colorful guitars.
Old 7th March 2010
Allons-y

And colourful room treatment?
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

I'll have to start with these for the lower wall decorations.

Old 7th March 2010
Gear maniac

According to what I learned in marketing and art training, hot colors like reds and oranges initially entice and excite for short term, then create an edgy, jittery feeling making people want to get away from it. It is for this reason why fast food places use these colors to draw people in and get them out. Red also is an "angry" color long term. So for a public studio or even for you to be in all day, it may be best to avoid these colors.
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

My space is an orangish red -- Benjamin Moore colour "Fire Dance". The trim is one shade darker and a little glossier. I probably wouldn't go with these colours in any other room, but I like them in the studio. A word of warning: you'll need more coats to get a red to cover properly -- at least three, maybe four.
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmuse View Post
According to what I learned in marketing and art training, hot colors like reds and oranges initially entice and excite for short term, then create an edgy, jittery feeling making people want to get away from it. It is for this reason why fast food places use these colors to draw people in and get them out. Red also is an "angry" color long term. So for a public studio or even for you to be in all day, it may be best to avoid these colors.
The problem is that I want to do the room justice ripping out the old cheapo trim and I can't afford the lumber. New carpeting and padding will be enough
this time around after the room is painted.
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

I sponge-painted the walls of my house with two tones that make it look like old parchment paper. I might have a pic somewhere...yep, I do, attached.

Anyway, it really gives a sense of warmth and makes any color in front of it "pop" in a pleasing way. I think any way you can make your recording environment feel welcoming and cozy is probably all it takes to keep the creativity flowing.
Attached Thumbnails
What Room Color Inspires Creativity?-parchment.jpg  
Old 7th March 2010
ACO
Gear nut

Gray is a neutral, balanced color. thumbsup
Old 7th March 2010
Gear Guru

Taking my mind off paint. Nice Rick!

The hallway and kitchen are done with the sponge effect beige background
lighter over coat.

I need to re-do the whole house, but starting with one nice room for me.
Old 7th March 2010
has all the gear he needs

Off white....bone or maybe a bit darker.

Then get your color moods going with wall hangings and such.
Old 7th March 2010
Lives for gear

THE COLOR OF MONEY
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search