Login / Register

Pacific Research and Engineering Consoles... Anyone?
New Reply
Subscribe
bobx
3rd March 2010
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to bobx
Pacific Research and Engineering Consoles... Anyone?

I have found very little about PR&E and I wanted to see if anyone had heard/used one of these.

We just recently picked up a Production Mixer 28 for our studio and hooked it up this weekend. It's a broadcast console that we are planning to be using as a summing mixer. We've messed around with it a little bit this weekend and we are please with our initial impressions. It has 3 mono preamp module channels with EQ in it (we haven't gotten a chance to track with). 8 Stereo Line in Modules with EQ. Master buss and studio and control room modules as well as some other telco stuff we'll probably never use.

We got a great deal on this from someone on craigslist, and as i've said we are very please with our initial impressions.

I'm just curious to see if anyone has worked on one of these before.
3rd March 2010
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to bobx
nobody, huh? that's what i figured. bump anyway?
3rd March 2010
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

We have a few of these in the radio studios I work in. I tried searching for info on them a while back, but didn't have much luck either... Maybe someone in the know can chime in??
18th June 2011
Old 18th June 2011
Gear interested

Pacific Recorders were the absolute standard for radio station consoles back in the day, and have many adherents even now. Great for a live on-air show. There's a guy who renovates them...I forget his name.
21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Gear interested

21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekbench View Post
Great sounding desks. I've done tech work on a handful of them over the last 15 years. Bulletproof. Sound great. Jensen transformers on most of them, crappy op amps on some, good ones on others. PR&E (Pacific Recorders & Engineering) was out of Carlsbad, CA. They were bought by Harris Broadcast back in the early 2000's. I own 5 of the last ABX consoles produced out of Carlsbad. Mr. Bob Moore at www.moretronix.com is the guy that you want to be nice to. He's a great guy, and is uber helpful for parts, tools and even some calibration gear. They're not Ward Beck, nor are they API. They sit, IMHO, somewhere in between API, Ward Beck and older Auditronics desks. The main focus of these desks were to control a radio broadcast. They've got more contact closures and relays than you'll ever need. They also don't have many bells or whistles audio wise. Two inputs per channel (A or B), clean mic pre, nice fader, couple of aux sends, and a big red ON/OFF button. The power supplies are massive. Like boat anchor massive. This was to dissipate heat without using fans, and the supply is usually located fairly close to the console, witch meant fairly close to the operator talking on the air. The volume pots alone on the monitor section run a couple hundred bucks to replace from P&G. In fact, most of the signal path runs through P&G faders or pots. The output amps would occasionally blow up, but they're easy to fix. The consoles are also easy to align, but you need to have the manual, a decent tone generator and a good meter. Back panel is all molex. ALL molex. get to know that method of wiring. It's easy once you master the basic crimp connectors. Don't touch the power input rails. They're exposed screw terminals and will shock the bejezus out of you if you're not careful. The safety covers almost ALWAYS got torn off. They are designed to fit into a cut-out table top counter of some kind. I don't know if I've ever seen one on a PR&E made stand. All the meters were Sifam, I believe the exact same meter as used in SSL G and E series desks. This is all top of mind, so feel free to correct me if you need to. I've got a pile of ABX parts, and some other odds and ends if you need them. I've also got a couple of manuals, but, only for the AMX and ABX desk. Not the production desks or some of the new fangled 'pre digital' desks they did. Those were of questionable quality. ABX, AMX, BMX and RMX are the bulletproof ones. The rest are serviceable, but were intended for lower budget operations. Not bad, but not what people generally mean when they refer to "PR&E" or "Pacific Recorders" consoles.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekbench View Post
I've got a pile of ABX parts, and some other odds and ends if you need them. I've also got a couple of manuals, but, only for the AMX and ABX desk.
I just fluked into a Pacific Recorders ABX 34, ...I realize this is an older post- but very curious if any of you are still out there?....I'm attempting to re-purpose this as a recording/mixing console ( I'm already wrist-deep in a recap....)
I'm trying to locate some of the EQ and/or Voice processor modules, Parts, bits,(substitutes for MJE181's?) advice? Feel free to PM or email....!
anyone? anyone?
Thanks!
20th February 2013
Old 20th February 2013
Gear addict

Came across a stereo input module. Interrested in any schematics, pinouts of the edge connectors, voltage requirements, manual, service manual, anything that would help me to test the input module and see if it's worth racking.

The module is a part# 45-130G

Thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search