Anyone using a Yamaha N12/8 and Steinberg MR816 X together?
Old 1st March 2010
Gear maniac

Anyone using a Yamaha N12/8 and Steinberg MR816 X together?

Had my N12 a good few years now, running out if inputs on sessions these days and am thinking of adding a Steinberg MR816 X to my setup.

I've been through the BIG N12 thread and didn't really find anyone using both.

Anyone out there? What's your thoughts?
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear maniac

I seen you post than in the big N thread randal, and my first thoughts were..... The Art will have it's own firewire drivers, the MR816 uses the same driver as the N12.

I thought cubase could only use one audi device at a time unless 2 or more were using the same driver? I seem to remember something about macs with an aggregate device though? Maybe that's what you mean.
Old 3rd March 2010
Lives for gear

Hey Lemon

I had 2 N12's for a while as a test, mine and a friends. with geroge's help, on the old MLAN drivers i was able to get the 2 working together pretty well, although MLAN for me was complicated

if you have 2 N12's then channel/track one on the second n12 would be input 17 in cubase etc

george did tell me the new FW drivers make it much easier, basically plug the other one in with the FW cable and all inputs and outputs should show up in cubase and you can then make a template form there

i have been on the lookout for another n12 for a while now cause i to am out of inputs now

if i got another one it would be for 2 reasons

1) 16 more inputs
2) stem mixing with more tracks

although for me it would be as simple as wanting the other inputs, i haven't really mixed stems at all yet except back in the day when i first got it and tried it out

so, since george left though i have been hesitant to get the other one just in case it really doesn't work all that well

but for the price of a used one it still may be a no brainer if i continue to get some front end gear

hope that helps

tim
Old 3rd March 2010
Gear maniac

Thanks for the input Trock. Over here the N12's have rocketed in price and even a second hamd one goes for more than I paid for mine new way back when. I don't feel like I want to throw that much cash at a second hand unit with a redundant control section.

Stem mixing was ok for a while but all you're adding is the N12 eq & SSMC, mixes aren't recalable, etc, etc. I started staying IN the box about 8 months ago and haven't looked back. No N12 track sheets and trying to get things the way they were. I kust open the project and start where I left off months before.

I feel the MR816X would be perfect for my current setup. I'm in a new place with a live drum room so I'n taking 7 channels for drums alone and bass into the last pre on my board. Trying all sorts of stuff to get scratch guitars and vocals down at the same time through the 9/10 & 11/12 inputs. I think life would be so much easier if I took this route but dare I say it, with the driver issues (mine has been rock solid on the latest driver for 40+ hours of recording) I'm a little hesitant to jump in and buy one without the support on the big thread we once had and loved.
Old 14th February 2012
Gear interested

Have you had any luck, I too am looking to expand the input capability of my beloved N12.
Old 14th February 2012
Gear nut

Is it possible to rent one to see if it works out? That's probably what I would do.

Cheers,
Frank
Old 15th February 2012
Gear interested

I was trolling the web earlier and I came across a forum with a Steinberg tech that stated, the MLAN driver can communicate to 3 devices at once. It listed the N12/N8 and the MR816 as well as a few others that fall into this catagory.
Im trying to refind the link now
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search