Symetrix Sx202 r eplacement adapters?
New Reply
Subscribe
nicknolte
1st March 2010
Old 1st March 2010
Gear interested

Symetrix Sx202 r eplacement adapters?

I tried doing a search, but nothing relevant came up.

I just got a stock Symetrix SX202. The unit doesn't turn on, but I am confident that the power source may be burnt out. It's the original Symetrix PS2 adapter.

Symetrix products and support and non-existent where I live(Western Canada).

Have any of you run into this problem? What 16VAC adapters(or any power source in general) can I use as a replacement for the original SX202 power source?
nicknolte
1st March 2010
Old 1st March 2010
Gear interested

bump
1st March 2010
Old 1st March 2010
Gear Guru

My Recordings/Credits

There is a fuse inside.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
1st March 2010
Old 1st March 2010
Gear addict

I found one online after looking for 5 minutes.
nicknolte
1st March 2010
Old 1st March 2010
Gear interested

1st March 2010
Old 1st March 2010
Gear maniac

I have found that those original power supplies tended to break inside the strain relief of the wall wart. I fixed a few by chipping the cube open and cutting the strain relief open. Really any AC supply even close to 16v will work. Your voltmeter is your friend to check your power supplies.

Have you tried contacting Symetrix? Western Canada is not too far from Seattle.
1st March 2010
Old 1st March 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknolte View Post
That result didn't show up in ebay.ca, but it looks like the guy does international shipping. Thanks for the link

I'm not sure where you are going with this statement?
I think Jim is saying it's more likely you blew a fuse than blew a power adapter, so you might want to check the fuse before buying a new adapter.
nicknolte
2nd March 2010
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Sullivan View Post
I think Jim is saying it's more likely you blew a fuse than blew a power adapter, so you might want to check the fuse before buying a new adapter.
Wow, I was quite wrong about the unit. I opened it up, and there is some sort of odd bronze colored crust on the fuse. Looks like some sort of corrosion. The fuse doesn't look like it's blown, but does anyone have any guesses as to what the crust could be? I would take a pic, but the unit doesn't open up enough be able to fit a camera.
2nd March 2010
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
.... the unit doesn't open up enough be able to fit a camera.
It sounds like you haven't figured out the XLR unlocking mechanism. The cover does come off. Beside the obvious screws, you have to insert a small, flat screwdriver into the center hole in each XLR. There's a locking tab down there that you have to rotate about 20 degrees to unlock. Then the cover, with XLR frames, can be teased off the XLR inserts, which are captive on the PC board.
2nd March 2010
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Wow, I was quite wrong about the unit. I opened it up, and there is some sort of odd bronze colored crust on the fuse. Looks like some sort of corrosion. The fuse doesn't look like it's blown, but does anyone have any guesses as to what the crust could be? I would take a pic, but the unit doesn't open up enough be able to fit a camera.
Did you open the wall wart or the main box?
nicknolte
2nd March 2010
Old 2nd March 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLouie View Post
It sounds like you haven't figured out the XLR unlocking mechanism. The cover does come off. Beside the obvious screws, you have to insert a small, flat screwdriver into the center hole in each XLR. There's a locking tab down there that you have to rotate about 20 degrees to unlock. Then the cover, with XLR frames, can be teased off the XLR inserts, which are captive on the PC board.
Input 2 unlocks fine, Input 1 refuses to unlock. It looks and feels like it might be rounded.

*Sigh* This unit is bad luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bater View Post
Did you open the wall wart or the main box?
Just the main box. I've still got a chance to return this thing. I might just do that given the hassle it's given so far
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search