Sunn Consoles, Mixers, etc. (Curious)
nicenobs
28th February 2010
Old 28th February 2010
Gear Head

Sunn Consoles, Mixers, etc. (Curious)

i just purchased a sunn four channel powered mixer (quad) off of ebay ($35).
it is a bit noisy, but i like it. i wrote off solid state amps a while back, but i am pleased with this mixers sound. i never thought i would entertain the possibility of using a little mixer as a guitar or bass amp, but this may be a possibility.

i was wondering if anyone had any general opinions on all things sunn related.
any opinions on sunn vs. fender amps? do sunn amps generally have a certain type of sound that makes them more desireable for "stoner rock" or is that probably just an aesthetic trend? also, what about their consoles and mixers- any opinions on those or a worthwhile model to look into?

thanks
28th February 2010
Old 28th February 2010
Gear maniac

Welcome to the world of Sunn!

Its no surprise that you would like SS Sunn's over other SS products, they're just better! When it comes to guitar i dont like any SS products aside from sunn.

and they appeal to "stoner doom" because of the added low end!
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
I recently started to fall in love with Sunn products. They sound nice and 'different' and very often you can get them for very low prices. Only the very famous bass amp models are very expensive and hard to get by.

We own a 400 W concert lead with two huge 212lh cab. Verrrry powerful sound, looots of gain, insanely clear and LOUD! I use it live a lot.

I then found a 16 channel Sunn console, the SPL 2216, for about 180 bucks. It's a little rusty, but I started to record my (stoner-grunge-prog) band with it in our practice room. I had to get used to the eqs, and I still didn't really figure out their behavior, but the truth is, the board sounds cool. It's definetily not hi-fi, but that's not the sound I was looking for anyway. With the gain cranked up just a little bit "too much", the snare sounds killer. Full, fat and dirty.
The low end works really nicely on this board, I can really make kickdrum and bassguitar interact in a good way now, which is something I never accomplished before.
I track on tape with the Sunn console, then go into Logic and do some basic compression and grouping there, then I send the subs back to the Sunn board and do the final mixing, with eqing and effects. I also use the built-in spring reverb of the Sunn console. I then do the mixdown back to Logic or tape (didn't try that yet).

The signals are somewhat dirty, but I just love working with old machines and trying to get the best out of their own character. Sunn is also a brand with a very interesting history. It was finally bought and brought to death by Fender, but Conrad Sundholm, the "father" of sunn amps, is making is own custom amps in his garage again:
Welcome

I bought a Sunn beta lead recently for about 120$. Combined with my set of pedals, it sounds like a dirty old high-school-punk-amp, or like a big dog with a burning tail. I love it, especially for the price.

So my suggestion is: Don't buy Sunn products - leave them all to me!!
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear
I had four ( 4) of the Sunn double 15"/tweeter/horn white faced PA cabs in the mid 80's..Very decent sounding and impressive looking cabs at that time..Epsecially when you stacked them in the horizontal position..!
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear interested

So bizarre for this thread to be up here today. I picked up a SPL-2216 for free yesterday. I won't have a time to wire it up and check it out for a while, but I'm excited about it!
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Lives for gear

Not solid state but my wife's Sunn 300T bass head is one of the best bass heads I have ever heard.
22nd June 2011
Old 22nd June 2011
Gear maniac
I had a 1972 Sunn Model T for quite some time, used it extensively on tour for a couple of years. I loved it, loudest amp I've ever owned. The tone was dark and clean, but when pushed it got pretty dirty, like a smooth growl. Comparable to a Fender Showman/Twin, also the Ampeg V4 gets a pretty similar sound. Just my two cents!
27th June 2011
Old 27th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycot View Post
So bizarre for this thread to be up here today. I picked up a SPL-2216 for free yesterday. I won't have a time to wire it up and check it out for a while, but I'm excited about it!
I'm curious to hear your opinion!
20th September 2011
Old 20th September 2011
Gear interested

Has anyone seen one of these before?

It says Sunn Magna but no model number. The closet thing I could find that looked similar was the Magna 5000, but this seems much different. I know it was used as a broadcast board in 1975, but that is about all I know. I was wondering if anyone knows who built these, what's inside etc. Not much on the board is labeled, it has 24 mono channels (or 12 stereo), 4 busses and 7 aux outs. It works great and sounds amazing.... the EQ is killer. It seems like they were trying to model it after an API.
Any info would be great, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunn Consoles, Mixers, etc. (Curious)-img_3192.jpg  
20th September 2011
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited View Post
Not solid state but my wife's Sunn 300T bass head is one of the best bass heads I have ever heard.
Awesome Amp. Weighs a fair bit though. I hope she doesn't have to lug this !!
20th September 2011
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Moxley View Post
It says Sunn Magna but no model number. The closet thing I could find that looked similar was the Magna 5000, but this seems much different. I know it was used as a broadcast board in 1975, but that is about all I know. I was wondering if anyone knows who built these, what's inside etc. Not much on the board is labeled, it has 24 mono channels (or 12 stereo), 4 busses and 7 aux outs. It works great and sounds amazing.... the EQ is killer. It seems like they were trying to model it after an API.
Any info would be great, thanks.
Send that picture and your inquiry to c.sundholm@comcast.net He'd probably get a kick out of seeing that and can probably tell you the history of it. Unless this was something he had nothing to do with at that time. But you never know.
20th September 2011
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I seem to remember Bob Heil being involved with Sunn's foray into concert sound back then. I worked for a music store that had a large promotional sound system we used for festivals and shows. The board was like that and there were tons of horn cabinets and these SS slave amps with a single volume knob in the same size box as their SS guitar amp heads. Something like 200W apiece.

The bass player in my HS power trio used Sunn amps. A 200S later replaced with a 2000S. And two of the dual 15 JBL cabs. Coupled with an EB0 it took care of the bottom end!
20th September 2011
Old 20th September 2011
Gear interested

Thanks for the info Sonic Dogg!
20th September 2011
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Moxley View Post
Thanks for the info Sonic Dogg!
Conrad is one of the nicest people you'd even want to meet. These days he's semi-retired making KILLER all tube combo amps in his shop one at a time. If you play the Blues or classic rock these are the best. He's also the founder of Sunn.
21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Banned

I inherited some nice Sunn speakers a few years back that are sitting in storage. I may have to go dig them out now...
21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Since I'm old and remember it well, there was a time when the the really PRO gear choices you had was Fender, Marshall, Hiwatt, Acoustic , Ampeg, and Sunn. Of course there were others but these were the main companies with lots of choices in power, speaker configurations, and styles of amps. I guess there were a lot of Kustoms in the midwest especially . Now this was a little before Peavey and stuff like that. I used to play through a pair of Sunn 1000s heads with a 6-10 and a 1-18 cab. Bass.
21st September 2011
Old 21st September 2011
Gear nut

Proud owner of a Sunn 1200s (yes fender made them then called them bassman but I'm no stamp collector) I've owned it for almost ten years and it's hauled ass all the time, got knocked off the back of an 8x10 on a 1.5m stage destroyed the case but the amp kept going, it's been stolen and I got it back over 6 months later, AND it's never been serviced.

The Sunn has been sitting in retirement since I got my Acoustic 470 though. That tremelo! That fuzz! The fact it sounds great for guitar and bass. The independent load output which means you can use any impedance cab. That weird graphic.
Years ago I borrowed a 360 plus the 4x15 cab and lusted for years for one.
Found the 470 in a pawn store for a good deal and am now about to clone the preamp with a few changes made.
27th October 2011
Old 27th October 2011
Gear interested

Sunn Magna 5000

Jeff,
I saw the photo of your beautiful Sunn Magna 5000 mixer.I thought I was the only one lucky enough to own one of these beasts.They were made after the brothers sold the company so Mr S knows nothing of them.
I have only seen one photo of one through google. I posted on the Sunn board and nothing.
So here goos, pinkie size transformer on the input, all discrete circuitry, inductor based e.q., each channel has its own voltaqe rectifier.
The internal build quality is phenomenal,F.R. 4 circuit boards, plastic caps,etc.
I am in the middle of tracing out the circuitry and will snare them with you.
I am in L.A. and would love to hear your board, I bought mine D.O.A.
Drew
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search