Need help hooking up Patchbay
sunnyb
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear addict

Need help hooking up Patchbay

So i finally picked up a patchbay and im a bit confused setting it up. I picked the neutrik nys-spp-l1 and im working with the following outboard gear:

Joemeek SixQ
FMR RNC
Drawmer DS-201
Roland Space Echo RE-201.

Im recording on a tascam 388 and sometimes an allen and heath zed r16.

Any recommendations on setting this thing up? I've been trying to figure this out for a while now so help would be much appreciated!
sunnyb
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear addict

anyone?
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear addict

Basically, you connect all the audio inputs and outputs from your equipment to your patch bay so you don't have to reach round the back to make a connection between them.

Whilst planning the bay, you consider what needs to be normalled. It's usually beneficial to normal the insert sends and returns on the mixer connections and also side chain inserts on the rack gear if there are any. This way you don't have to have patch leads in to avoid interrupting the signal flow. Depending on how comprehensive you're being, it'd also make sense to normal other "default" connections on the patchbay like Mic lines to Mic inputs, Tape returns to line inputs etc.

To be honest, it's a pretty large subject, and short of planning your bay for you, it's a rather unspecific question you're asking ( no offense intended ).

If you've got any more specific questions, I'd be happy to offer what advice I can.
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyb View Post
So i finally picked up a patchbay and im a bit confused setting it up. I picked the neutrik nys-spp-l1 and im working with the following outboard gear:

Joemeek SixQ
FMR RNC
Drawmer DS-201
Roland Space Echo RE-201.

Im recording on a tascam 388 and sometimes an allen and heath zed r16.

Any recommendations on setting this thing up? I've been trying to figure this out for a while now so help would be much appreciated!
So that's a TRS patchbay? Well the best thing to do is layout a diagram of all your I/O that you're going to need. I would set it up so that whatever the most typical chain you run is normalled...so like...mic lines normalled to joe meek sixq...sixq out to rnc in...rnc out to your recorder in...etc...things like that...but you also want to keep it reasonably organized so like all Compressor stuff near each other...all preamps near each other...be certain if you put the individual outs over the modules ins, that you make those pcbs split isolated so you don't cause a feedback loop.
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Since it sounds like you're brand new to patchbay land, let me throw out a couple things that might help:

1) Typical setup would have you plugging all outputs from your gear into the TOP row of the patchbay and the inputs to the BOTTOM row. Think of the signal flowing like a waterfall from top to bottom.

2) When people talk about "normalized" in the posts above, it means that an input and output are essentially hard-wired. That is, in a half-normalled connection you'll have an output from one device (A) plugged into a top jack on the back of the patchbacy and the bottom jack right under it will run to the input of something else (B). When nothing's plugged into the front of the patchbay, those two pieces of gear are connected, so that plugging into A is, for all intents and purposes, the same as plugging directly into B.

Then you use the front of the patchbay to make any connection other than your typical/default setup.
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear addict

Its funny how I took 40 minutes to write a 2 page reply in great detail about the diffferent patchbay modes and about how you need more than one patchbay what cables you need where to find them cheap and how to hook your stuff up and then gearslutz logged me out and the post was lost
I am so pissed off I spend all this time writing this for nothing.
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
Its funny how I took 40 minutes to write a 2 page reply in great detail about the diffferent patchbay modes and about how you need more than one patchbay what cables you need where to find them cheap and how to hook your stuff up and then gearslutz logged me out and the post was lost
Ah, come on, look at the bright side, at least you gave yourself a re-fresher!
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
Yes, very annoying when it happens. I've got into the habit of copying lengthy emails/posts to the clipboard before hitting send.
sunnyb
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear addict

thanks for all the advice! this is how the patchbay has been setup, and this is gonna sound really stupid, but...

whats the best way to connect the gear to the multitrack? ive always just gone in through the auxiliary or effect sends and returns..
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyb View Post
thanks for all the advice! this is how the patchbay has been setup, and this is gonna sound really stupid, but...

whats the best way to connect the gear to the multitrack? ive always just gone in through the auxiliary or effect sends and returns..
STUPIDDD!!!! Ahhh just kidding lol if you're new...you're new.

I don't really know those multitrack recorders at all...but really you should be going into line inputs, assuming you've already put the microphone through the preamp. Though depending on how it is setup there may be nothing wrong with going into the effects returns or something, just may have less control? Typically you use line inputs though.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search