Mojave MA-201 Fet vs AT4047?
New Reply
Subscribe
Jungle Jazz
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Mojave MA-201 Fet vs AT4047?

I'm curious how the Mojave MA-201 Fet compares to the AT4047. I've already got a 4047, but I don't have any experience with the Mojave. Anyone used both or done a direct comparison? I'd be curious to hear some sound samples of the MA-201 if there are any floating around out there. Thanks.
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Jazz View Post
I'm curious how the Mojave MA-201 Fet compares to the AT4047. I've already got a 4047, but I don't have any experience with the Mojave. Anyone used both or done a direct comparison? I'd be curious to hear some sound samples of the MA-201 if there are any floating around out there. Thanks.
I've used both on male vox and acoustic guitar, and I preferred the mojave in both instances.

Here's a clip of acoustic guitar recorded with a Rode NT1 and the MA-201fet. First you'll hear the rode (right channel) then mojave (left) then both. Exact same mic position and signal chain -- I just swapped the mics out to give the doubled part a slightly different feel.

Mojave Geetar clip

sorry i don't have a clip of the 4047 to compare to.
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

I have and love a 4047...

Ccurious about this too.
Jungle Jazz
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud133 View Post
I've used both on male vox and acoustic guitar, and I preferred the mojave in both instances.

Here's a clip of acoustic guitar recorded with a Rode NT1 and the MA-201fet. First you'll hear the rode (right channel) then mojave (left) then both. Exact same mic position and signal chain -- I just swapped the mics out to give the doubled part a slightly different feel.

Mojave Geetar clip

sorry i don't have a clip of the 4047 to compare to.
Thanks for the feedback and for posting that clip. When you say you preferred the Mojave over the AT4047 on vox and guitar, what about it did you like better? Anyone else have any opinions about how these two mics compare?
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and for posting that clip. When you say you preferred the Mojave over the AT4047 on vox and guitar, what about it did you like better? Anyone else have any opinions about how these two mics compare?
at least on the guitar, i think this comes through in the clip i posted: the mojave makes it sound 'larger-than-life'. as in, the guitar didn't actually sound like that in person, but the mojave sort of gives it this extra character that's greater than reality.

i didnt get the same feeling from the 4047. but depending on what you're doing, you might not want a 'larger-than-life' recording.

i can say the 4047 is darker, but i hate to start dropping adjectives just because i've only used these mics in different rooms on different days, and i haven't done a proper side-by-side comparison like in the above clip....

soo.... the best advice is, get one of each in a room and try em out thumbsup
Jungle Jazz
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scud133 View Post
at least on the guitar, i think this comes through in the clip i posted: the mojave makes it sound 'larger-than-life'. as in, the guitar didn't actually sound like that in person, but the mojave sort of gives it this extra character that's greater than reality.

i didnt get the same feeling from the 4047. but depending on what you're doing, you might not want a 'larger-than-life' recording.

i can say the 4047 is darker, but i hate to start dropping adjectives just because i've only used these mics in different rooms on different days, and i haven't done a proper side-by-side comparison like in the above clip....

soo.... the best advice is, get one of each in a room and try em out thumbsup
Thanks for that added info. I would like to try one, but my local dealer doesn't keep them in stock. I'm just wondering if it is different enough from an AT4047 to justify getting it, especially since it's a couple hundred more.
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Thanks for that added info. I would like to try one, but my local dealer doesn't keep them in stock. I'm just wondering if it is different enough from an AT4047 to justify getting it, especially since it's a couple hundred more.
Sweetwater:

MA-201 $695
AT4047 $699

?????
Jungle Jazz
23rd February 2010
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Jungle Jazz
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Another little bump just in case anyone else wants to chime in. It doesn't have to be a direct comparison. I'm just trying to get a few opinions about the MA-201 fet from those who have used it.
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to SeniorityFedup Send a message via Yahoo to SeniorityFedup
According to the manufacturer, my advanced audio cm47 fet has the same capsule and tranny config as the 201fet by mr royer. After reading that post I can agree that it sounds larger than life due to the slight raise in certain freqeuncies round 3, 6-14k. It handles lows great.
And mine is 280$
Jungle Jazz
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

I'm curious about the Advanced Audio mics. Their tube mics seem to get a lot of love, but what about the fets CM47 and CM87? It looks like the CM 87 has undergone some revision. Anyone tried the new one?
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm curious about the Advanced Audio mics. Their tube mics seem to get a lot of love, but what about the fets CM47 and CM87? It looks like the CM 87 has undergone some revision. Anyone tried the new one?
Hi Jungle Jazz,

I see you live in the DC area. If you like I can set up time for you to audition some my microphones you may be interested in. I live north of DC.

We could compare them to your AT4047

Let me know
Thanks!
JJ Audio

Making Music sound better, one mic at a time

Available at:

Sales and customer support:
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to SeniorityFedup Send a message via Yahoo to SeniorityFedup
Quote:
If you look at my post previous to this one you will see l am reffering to the cm47 fet.
I also own the cm47 se tube mic, but have yet to try it due to school and previous acoustic treatment projects.

In my school I had the chance to audition mics for a recording class.
Thru a greatriver pre.
The cm47 was thru a blue robbie pre. (which according to reviews is quite clean)
tlm 103 < cm47fet

royer ribbon >
u87 > both are silky but this one sounds like a cleaner royer
c414 vocal =< cm47 a bit biased.

c414 refference <cm47

IMBO

The reason l say biased opinion is because l own it and that will always be part of the equation. Just like dads cant hire sons in some workplaces.

by the way jj, i saw your mics online. sweet lookin mics!
sorry I didnt win the v67 auction on ebay a few weeks back.
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorityFedup View Post
If you look at my post previous to this one you will see l am reffering to the cm47 fet.
I also own the cm47 se tube mic, but have yet to try it due to school and previous acoustic treatment projects.

In my school I had the chance to audition mics for a recording class.
Thru a greatriver pre.
The cm47 was thru a blue robbie pre. (which according to reviews is quite clean)
tlm 103 < cm47fet

royer ribbon >
u87 > both are silky but this one sounds like a cleaner royer
c414 vocal =< cm47 a bit biased.

c414 refference <cm47

IMBO

The reason l say biased opinion is because l own it and that will always be part of the equation. Just like dads cant hire sons in some workplaces.

by the way jj, i saw your mics online. sweet lookin mics!
sorry I didnt win the v67 auction on ebay a few weeks back.

Pm me I am still offering GS members a Sweet deal

Thanks
Jungle Jazz
24th February 2010
Old 24th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz-Mat-Strat View Post
Hi Jungle Jazz,

I see you live in the DC area. If you like I can set up time for you to audition some my microphones you may be interested in. I live north of DC.

We could compare them to your AT4047

Let me know
Thanks!
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep it in mind. I'll check out your website and see what you've got.
22nd January 2013
Old 22nd January 2013
Gear addict

Used both extensively. The Mojave M-201fet kills the at 4047!
13th September 2013
Old 13th September 2013
Lives for gear

Bumping this older thread because I'm in the market for a new mic and I've found myself debating between the same two mics. Which of the two would you guys recommend as a better all-around mic specifically for female vocals? More specifically, which one do you think would work on a variety of different female voices. I work with several female singers/songwriters, each with a different style and vocal timbre. FWIW I'm using a Focusrite ISA Two and SSL XLogic Alpha Channel as a front end for my MOTU 828mkII. I'm leaning toward the Mojave, based on the reviews I've seen, but I've never owned or used one, nor do I have access to one to try out.
19th September 2013
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

Here's a video with the Mojave 201 fet used as overheads.

19th September 2013
Old 19th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik View Post
Bumping this older thread because I'm in the market for a new mic and I've found myself debating between the same two mics. Which of the two would you guys recommend as a better all-around mic specifically for female vocals? More specifically, which one do you think would work on a variety of different female voices. I work with several female singers/songwriters, each with a different style and vocal timbre. FWIW I'm using a Focusrite ISA Two and SSL XLogic Alpha Channel as a front end for my MOTU 828mkII. I'm leaning toward the Mojave, based on the reviews I've seen, but I've never owned or used one, nor do I have access to one to try out.
The Mojave 201-FET is a fantastic mic and you'll be very happy with it. If you can stretch the budget a bit further the Mojave MA-300 is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite mics in the studio.
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for AudioLot's BIG DEAL Gear Specials, Morning Mix Tips, and more by clicking here
27th September 2013
Old 27th September 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik View Post
For anyone that is interested, I have used and own a Mojave MA-201 fet and it is my favourite microphone and my workhorse! I use it mainly for recording acoustic guitars and vocals. The track below is a cover my band did with male AND female vocals and acoustic guitar all recorded with the 201 fet, through a Pre73 and Comp54 compressor. I love this mic and would replace it in a heartbeat if anything happened to it!

27th September 2013
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

Both nice mics. The 4047 is somewhat "smoother", "warmer", and "thicker" sounding. The 201 is "brighter" and more "up front" sounding. Probably a better "all rounder", although since both mics have a rather distinctive sound, I would not use either of them on multiple elements in the same mix.
"Factory farming" is the worst and most horrible abuse of Animals on a massive scale ever devised by greedy humans. Please do what you can to help end it, and "laboratory testing" also. No living being should have to suffer like this. Thank you.
http://www.soundclick.com/edbilleaud
27th September 2013
Old 27th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorityFedup View Post
According to the manufacturer, my advanced audio cm47 fet has the same capsule and tranny config as the 201fet by mr royer. After reading that post I can agree that it sounds larger than life due to the slight raise in certain freqeuncies round 3, 6-14k. It handles lows great.
And mine is 280$
Don't tell anyone about Advanced mics.
13th October 2013
Old 13th October 2013
Lives for gear

I just realized that there were responses to my post! Anyway, thanks for the advice and examples, guys. I went ahead and ordered the MA-201 a few days ago and should have it midweek. :D
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search