Old 26th October 2005
Lives for gear

Format Conversion

Hi,

found my PCI cards D/As insufficient to monitor good external convertors. Rememberred to have a DAC1 in the closet that would be good enough. Now realize ( again ) that I need some kind of box which can convert ADAT to either AES or S/PDIF.

Am not willing to shell out over 550 Euros for an AES addon card as I got the ADAT already ( stupid as I´ve been ).
There is that Behringer thing called SRC2496 ...

I need to be sure no degradation to take place though.
Can anyone tell whether format conversion was relatively secure even with cheapo boxes?

Ruphus
Old 26th October 2005
One with big hooves

I know Alesis used to make a box that would do that. Maybe they still do, I'd trust that more then I'd trust anything from Behringer.
Old 26th October 2005
Lives for gear

I have the Alesis AI-4. Got it pretty recently and have used it to convert to/from AES from the ADAT ins on my HD24XR. Works fine. Because its not nearly slutty enough of a piece I can't remember how much it cost...but it wasn't much. I believe RME makes one too but it was more expensive.

Best,
Silas
Old 26th October 2005
Lives for gear

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for your help!

I followed your links. The Alesis AI-4 is about 330 Euro in Germany, the Behringer only 120. The corresponding device from RME ranges already over 500 Euro bucks.

All probably relatively reasonable, but the mere adaptor kind of function that I need makes me stingy ( together with my current bank account state ). I heard that there were specimens offered in the US for very little money ( like 8 to 30 bucks ) of which people said that they functioned flawlessly. Only that they seem to have disappeared from the market.

In the same time couldn´t accept signal degradation if it was to be counted with.
So, unless someone was to say that he found the Behringer to be fully sufficient after critical listenings through a high end chain, I should probably lean towards the Alesis. ...

I also asked the Lynx support how critical format conversion would be.
I´ll report back what they say, in case anybody else here wanted to know too.

Thanks again,

Ruphus
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search