Subscribe
routine
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear nut

Tips for One Man Band

Hi!
do some of you guys do that?
i mean be a one man band, singing, playing multi-layered guitar parts, the keys, and controlling a drum machine all at one once?

if you do, please tell us how you do?

i forgot to mention...
- NO LAPTOP -
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

Definitely invest in a kazoo.
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

What are the best knee-mounted cymbals for under $100?
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

More cowbell
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
serious amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by initialsBB View Post
What are the best knee-mounted cymbals for under $100?
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear maniac

For me, I listened to and watched a lot of Richard Thompson, Billy Bragg, Michael Hedges, Leo Kottke, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Joan Armatrading, etc., and practiced like crazy. I try to get layers of sound and rhythm into the guitar part itself. I'm not using drum machines, loops or keys while playing live. It's not that I'm against it. I've just always admired the sound one person can make singing and playing one instrument, so that's what I've gone with.
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Allons-y

yes Kazoo and Knee cymbals, definitely a must

No laptop but are pedals allright? of course you need a looper
something like the Boss Rc 20 or 50 if you don't already
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Banned

Here's some sound advice : DON'T fire your band, no matter WHAT they do !
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Allons-y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinto Th'Can View Post
For me, I listened to and watched a lot of Richard Thompson, Billy Bragg, Michael Hedges, Leo Kottke, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Joan Armatrading, etc., and practiced like crazy. I try to get layers of sound and rhythm into the guitar part itself. I'm not using drum machines, loops or keys while playing live. It's not that I'm against it. I've just always admired the sound one person can make singing and playing one instrument, so that's what I've gone with.
euhm well just a great vocal performance with an instrument (guitar, cello, bass, piano anything can do) is fantastic prolly the best thing, but that's not really a one man BAND is it?
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
euhm well just a great vocal performance with an instrument (guitar, cello, bass, piano anything can do) is fantastic prolly the best thing, but that's not really a one man BAND is it?
Well, if we're going to get picky about the language, one man ain't a BAND no matter how you cut it. I'm just saying that there have been some people that do an amazing job implying the layers of a band on one instrument without loopers or drum machines. There are also some who do amazing things with those tools. I guess it's all about concept, development and practice either way.
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Allons-y

Hey I totally get that and applaud it but that would just be a great musician in my eyes
One man band somehow implies that you do use different instruments to create your song or performance so.
as long as you avoid stuff like this it's cool
Attached Thumbnails
Tips for One Man Band-fastest_one_man_band.jpg  
18th February 2010
Old 18th February 2010
Gear maniac

[QUOTE=Batchainpuller78;5119581]Hey I totally get that and applaud it but that would just be a great musician in my eyes
One man band somehow implies that you do use different instruments to create your song or performance so./QUOTE]

Of course.

One thing I haven't seen in a while is those synth bass pedals Geddy Lee used to play. If you're gonna go, might as well go cosmic.
18th February 2010
Old 18th February 2010
Gear addict

I do.

Acoustic guitar (rhythm and flat picking), electric bass, vocals, then percussion (cajon & djembe). Laying them down on an iMac.

My advice: Nail the timing on the first track, or it will bring the whole project down.

Also, learn to use the IR remote with the computer and Logic 9, it helps A LOT.
18th February 2010
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singinto Th'Can View Post
One thing I haven't seen in a while is those synth bass pedals Geddy Lee used to play. If you're gonna go, might as well go cosmic.
Moog actually just reissued the Taurus. Taurus Bass Pedals
18th February 2010
Old 18th February 2010
Gear Guru

forget all the electronic toys!

real one man bands play the Farmer Foot Drum:

All Analog!!

It has a bass drum, a snare drum, a tambourine and a shaker. You can also hook up a cowbell. All inside a single box. You just need a chair that is slightly higher than average, or a phone book to sit on.

“What you ask about is music. What you like is sound. Now music and sound are akin, but they are not the same.”
— Confucius
18th February 2010
Old 18th February 2010
Gear addict

Non-linear thinking, lots of mistakes and practice.
But mostly because i'm a control freak....
18th February 2010
Old 18th February 2010
Lives for gear

You guys should check out Thomas Truax.

YouTube - Thomas Truax

Played with him last year. Absolutely amazing. He's made all these weird instruments out of old found objects. A drum machine made from a motorised wheel where the spokes hit objects at different times and speeds. All sorts of weird shit.

He recently did an album of songs from David Lynch films, which was great.

19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Gear nut

ok lets bring a laptop in...

i'm a guitar player first, so i'd like to play the gtr on stage, and still control the laptop.

how would you do?

i'll have to play with a click, what else should i think about?
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Allons-y

nono no laptop
one of these, they are great fun the smaller version is already a blast and great practice tool as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Tips for One Man Band-boss_rc_50_top_gal.jpg  
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

listen to Abner Jay. Best one man band ever! he tells jokes between songs on his record too.. it's awesome
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
nono no laptop
one of these, they are great fun the smaller version is already a blast and great practice tool as well.
Wholeheartedly agree - no laptops live! no laptops live! no laptops live!

because they crash no matter how much they promise not to beforehand, and then you look like a d*ck holding your guitar haha.

Those Boss RC whatever's are just the ticket - the rc20 I had was my best friend for a while - when I ditched it for the computer route it was fine, but like eating from the tree of knowledge, you know? My sweet 2-pedal looper innocence was lost and I was cast into the harsh world of DAW editing - beee yeeee warrrnneedd!
19th February 2010
Old 19th February 2010
Lives for gear

ipod? cd player? anything that you can send to a P.A, hit play, and play along with?

In the past I've used a stereo track being played by an Ipod, split to a L and R mono signal. L signal goes to my headphones with a LOUD click track. R goes to the P.A. with synth, sub bass, bass drops, quotes, dare I say harmonies that the guitarist would pretend to sing =x

A variation of that set up would work real well, even if its hitting play on a CD player and playing along to something you already recorded.

You may get bitched out by the 'elitists' who notice there is one of you playing one part yet many other parts are coming through the speakers
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Gear interested

Check Out Via Vengeance!

20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethedrummer View Post
ipod? cd player? anything that you can send to a P.A, hit play, and play along with?
You may get bitched out by the 'elitists' who notice there is one of you playing one part yet many other parts are coming through the speakers
it's not only elitists who may feel cheated watching a show that is mostly pre-recorded
and the complaints may be based more on musical considerations than on 'ethical objections'

In this respect, there is no practical difference to the audience if the band is playing over a recording or a sequence programmed on a laptop. There is also no difference to them if you made the track yourself or bought it somewhere. In the end, it's just karaoke.

the true disadvantage of this type of stuff is its rigidity. For example, the inability of the artist to fine-tune tempos and dynamics on the fly to adjust to the mood of the crowd and the vibe of the venue. There is usually a stiffness to the whole proceedings.

I do enjoy watching people who use loopers. They too are "playing to a track", but you get to see them make the track in real time, and that is half the show.
20th February 2010
Old 20th February 2010
Lives for gear

i'm pretty much a one man band and start out doing my songs in pieces at a time in logic and just focus on one part at a time till it's done just the way i want. the one thing i hate is when i spend forever trying to make a transition work and have to record guitar passes a bizillion times to make things flow without being a copy and paste job. god tonight was so tiring when i got to the second verse and ran into some issues with things not flowing right after nudgin for an hour or so... going back in tomorrow to o more guitar passes straight through but will most likely run into it again and have to do full takes. these are the little prices i pay to do everything myself with 40+ tracks.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search