HELP! Connecting my Hardware together
New Reply
Subscribe
jvignacio
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear interested

HELP! Connecting my Hardware together

Hi guys, i currently own two Behringer truth b2031a Speakers, a Behringer xenyx x1832usb Mixer, a Virus TI Desktop Synth and a Roland JP 8080 Synth. For those of you that dont know what these look like, here are a few pics of each:

1. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...2031a-back.jpg (BACK OF SPEAKERS)

2. http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/71180_l.jpg (FRONT AND BACK OF MIXER)

3. http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qua...565e80db69.jpg (FRONT AND THE BACK CONNECTIONS ARE WRITTEN AT THE TOP)

4. http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4...ackconnect.jpg (BACK OF ROLAND JP 8080)

Ok basically what i want to do is connect the Virus and the JP to the mixer, then run the JP into the Virus using MIDI. Im not sure if you can do that but hopefully you can or else ill have to use another external soundcard and run the JP through that via midi. Or maybe there are some of you that can recommend a better connection? We will be using FL Studio 9 or Cubase SX3. Thanks for the help. Much Appreciated
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

You cannot connect Behringer to audio equipment, sorry. It just won't work.

!!! Sorry! I have wanted to make that joke for a long time... Maybe someone else will be serious for you.

Basiclly the output of the desired unit gets connected to the input of the next unit with a cord of the right type. It's hard to remember the details as I learned how to do this when I was about 10, and that was nearly 50 years ago. You forget so much! I actually studied audio in college, too before they had universties
jvignacio
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by loujudson View Post
You cannot connect Behringer to audio equipment, sorry. It just won't work.

!!! Sorry! I have wanted to make that joke for a long time... Maybe someone else will be serious for you.

Basiclly the output of the desired unit gets connected to the input of the next unit with a cord of the right type. It's hard to remember the details as I learned how to do this when I was about 10, and that was nearly 50 years ago. You forget so much! I actually studied audio in college, too before they had universties
cheers for the reply and joke :P
jvignacio
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear interested

Any thoughts guys? thanks! thumbsup
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear Guru

Use cables. Connect the output of each synth to a cable. Connect the other end of each cable to a channel input on the mixer. Conect the left and right outputs of the mixer to a pair of cable. Connect the other ends of these cables to the inputs of the speakers. Plug all the power cables into the wall or a power strip. Turn everything on. Play music.

To record connect the mixer to your computer with a USB cable and follow the instructions in the manual for setting it up.
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Use cables. Connect the output of each synth to a cable. Connect the other end of each cable to a channel input on the mixer. Conect the left and right outputs of the mixer to a pair of cable. Connect the other ends of these cables to the inputs of the speakers. Plug all the power cables into the wall or a power strip. Turn everything on. Play music.

To record connect the mixer to your computer with a USB cable and follow the instructions in the manual for setting it up.

17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
Hi guys, i currently own two Behringer truth b2031a Speakers, a Behringer xenyx x1832usb Mixer, a Virus TI Desktop Synth and a Roland JP 8080 Synth. For those of you that dont know what these look like, here are a few pics of each:

1. http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...2031a-back.jpg (BACK OF SPEAKERS)

2. http://www.dv247.com/assets/products/71180_l.jpg (FRONT AND BACK OF MIXER)

3. http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/qua...565e80db69.jpg (FRONT AND THE BACK CONNECTIONS ARE WRITTEN AT THE TOP)

4. http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4...ackconnect.jpg (BACK OF ROLAND JP 8080)

Ok basically what i want to do is connect the Virus and the JP to the mixer, then run the JP into the Virus using MIDI. Im not sure if you can do that but hopefully you can or else ill have to use another external soundcard and run the JP through that via midi. Or maybe there are some of you that can recommend a better connection? We will be using FL Studio 9 or Cubase SX3. Thanks for the help. Much Appreciated
Well start by using balanced XLR cables from the Main Outs of your mixer to the monitors.
Plug instrument cables in the L and R outputs of the Roland into channels 1 and 2 of the mixer or you can use balanced....couldn't tell if the Roland had balanced outputs....doesn't look like it
Same thing with the Virus...plug in the L and R outputs of the Virus into channels 3 and 4 on the mixer....looks like the Virus has multiple outputs but I don't know if those are separate outputs for separate sounds. If they are you can plug those into 5/6 and 7/8 if it's just the same sound as output 1 then don't bother.....

And there you go! Power everything up and adjust you levels....viola......sound!

If you want to use MIDI for something and use the two synths to control some other sound source get some MIDI cables and run MIDI out from the Roland into MIDI in of the Virus and then MIDI out to whatever MIDI sound device you plan on using....you didn't list any way of using the MIDI for anything so I don't know what your plan is there...
Maybe the Roland can control sounds on the Virus?

Plug your mixer USB cable into your computer and I guess you have some recording software and drivers so get them all up and running and your good to go!
Enjoy!
jvignacio
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo View Post
Well start by using balanced XLR cables from the Main Outs of your mixer to the monitors.
Plug instrument cables in the L and R outputs of the Roland into channels 1 and 2 of the mixer or you can use balanced....couldn't tell if the Roland had balanced outputs....doesn't look like it
Same thing with the Virus...plug in the L and R outputs of the Virus into channels 3 and 4 on the mixer....looks like the Virus has multiple outputs but I don't know if those are separate outputs for separate sounds. If they are you can plug those into 5/6 and 7/8 if it's just the same sound as output 1 then don't bother.....

And there you go! Power everything up and adjust you levels....viola......sound!

If you want to use MIDI for something and use the two synths to control some other sound source get some MIDI cables and run MIDI out from the Roland into MIDI in of the Virus and then MIDI out to whatever MIDI sound device you plan on using....you didn't list any way of using the MIDI for anything so I don't know what your plan is there...
Maybe the Roland can control sounds on the Virus?

Plug your mixer USB cable into your computer and I guess you have some recording software and drivers so get them all up and running and your good to go!
Enjoy!
thanks for this mate, well what i wanted to do with midi is connect the JP into the virus so i can use midi to be able to record sounds from the JP. Is that possible? Or do i need to buy a separate soundcard/midi interface in order to record sounds off the JP.

thanks!!
jvignacio
17th February 2010
Old 17th February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvignacio View Post
thanks for this mate, well what i wanted to do with midi is connect the JP into the virus so i can use midi to be able to record sounds from the JP. Is that possible? Or do i need to buy a separate soundcard/midi interface in order to record sounds off the JP.

thanks!!
Really interested in this mate! hope you reply. Cheers.
22nd September 2011
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear interested

I'm currently in the market for USB interface recording solutions. (Can't use a firewire interface with my laptop's RICOH chipset.)
I was looking at the Behringer XENYX X1832USB but I'm now thinking it wouldn't meet my needs.
1) Is it only USB 1.1 and not 2.0?
2) I've read that it cannot send multiple, separate channels via USB. What? Then what's the point of the USB if I can't record 8 separate channels simultaneously in, say, Reaper?

How has Behringer XENYX X1832USB worked for you?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search