monitor advise i'm tired of dynaudio sound
Old 2nd February 2010
Lives for gear

monitor advise i'm tired of dynaudio sound

hello

i have a pair of dynaudio bm5a and i'm a bit tired of their sound, i can't trust them very well, after 3/4 years i'm using them.

i like very much ns10 and auratone.

i'm looking for something full range with a similar transient response to yamaha and auratones.

i don't like that dynaudio sound too, are too separated between highs and lows and i don't understand very well what happen in the low mids

i don't feel the lows/lowmids/mids solid enough and the highs are a bit fatiguing and not real (a little weird).

so what should i choose?

i like krk every time i work with them, and i also compared them to dynaudio.

the krk model i liked most are v6 series 2 but even series one (but i prefer series 2) i never tried the vxt6/8 i would like to try them but here isn't possible and there are no stores that give you 30 days money back and i don't want to listen in very bad untreated room (like the one in shops around here)

consider also that i've treated the room using dynaudio as references and there's more rockwool than me, i mean i can't improve more than this, i've a +/-5 db in all the spectrum (even less honestly except in one point i have an excursion of 9 db)

anyone experienced something similar?
let me know

thanks
Old 3rd February 2010
Allons-y

Weird, I feel it the other way around, I have BM15's and I love the sound, I can listen hours on end on them without getting tired.
Next to them I use a normal Kenwood home stereo for checking

They have a degree of higher separation that's true but I don't find it uncomfortable, but very useable.
You say your room is 'treated' but are the speakers standing properly to get that low mid range clear?

Euhm they sound a lot better than NS 10's or Auratones, but you might want a pair of those next to your Dynaudio's, The KRK's are painful to me in the high end, so I'm really experiencing it the other way round
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

I'd consider the CMS line from Focal (with or without sub depending your needs)..
they're great translators... really amazing for the price.. more or less in the dynaudio bm6 ballpark..

up with the price you find the focal solo6Be (which I own)...
Another monitor that astonished me was the KS digital C5 Tiny..

another serious monitor would be the Barefoot 35... but it's in a completely different price range..

just my 0.02$,
bests,

Cheu
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

You can't 'trust' BM5as but you can trust NS10s? How does that work? It sounds to me that you are just used to NS10s and you are familiar with monitoring on them so why would you start using something you aren't familiar with?
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batchainpuller78 View Post
Weird, I feel it the other way around, I have BM15's and I love the sound, I can listen hours on end on them without getting tired.
Next to them I use a normal Kenwood home stereo for checking

They have a degree of higher separation that's true but I don't find it uncomfortable, but very useable.
You say your room is 'treated' but are the speakers standing properly to get that low mid range clear?

Euhm they sound a lot better than NS 10's or Auratones, but you might want a pair of those next to your Dynaudio's, The KRK's are painful to me in the high end, so I'm really experiencing it the other way round
BM15 are cool enough, I enjoy mine, too, but they are not the same as OP's BM5A. I have passive ones and I used them at home for music listening with a big 70's Sansui receiver - that was some serious impact and fun. I use them in studio now with a more clean amp and they are not so sexy anymore, but still great to compliment my MSP5's and Avantone mixcubes.

Standard answer could be - ADAM S3A - a big NS10?
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear
Top of my list would be K&H (now that M&K are no longer in the studio monitor business!)
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear maniac

Check out the ProAcs. Really fantastic speakers that translate well.
J
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

I've found from a few that dynaudio's sound great. I have a room w/ BM15A's/sub as mid-mains and they sound good. But sounding real good and translating your mixes are two different things. Having said that any monitors can be "learned".
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post
You can't 'trust' BM5as but you can trust NS10s? How does that work? It sounds to me that you are just used to NS10s and you are familiar with monitoring on them so why would you start using something you aren't familiar with?
i bought the dynaudio 2 years before the ns10 and i should be more used with dynaudio, don't you think?

just the ns10 have a harder response than dynaudio and the transient response guide me much more, plus they are really a reference because if i push the wrong frequencies they tell you immediately..

with dynaudio i go blind, i mean i can push one freq and sounds ok, i can push another and sounds ok, i can cut them and sounds ok, i ended up with the snare -15 db than the kick and was ok, but in car and ns10 just disappear.

plus they are not solid, i mean things are a bit blurred and it's hard to find problems while in ns10 it's much easier.

unfortunately it's very hard to make production on ns10 and i want a full range counterpart that works similar to ns10, that guide me a bit more

a full range reference, not only a pleasant speaker to listen music or watch movies
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by konkaos View Post
I've found from a few that dynaudio's sound great. I have a room w/ BM15A's/sub as mid-mains and they sound good. But sounding real good and translating your mixes are two different things. Having said that any monitors can be "learned".
i totally agree
after 3/4 years i've learned the bm5a, just i'm tired of them because i would like a pair of speaker that let me go faster and don't care about monitors, while now i go fast with ns10 but than i've always to check for the low end and i'm always asking myself.. what should i trust in the low mids? because ns10 tells me there aren't great problems, while dyna tells me yes.. and car tells me something in the middle.. there are some problems but not as big as dynaudio tells me.

and if i follow dynaudio i just cut too much and end up with less energy and things messed up.

i learned to now follow dynaudio completely, but isn't great to listen to music and hear things you don't like how they sound and impose yourself to not touch them because you don't know exactly what should be touched and what not

i solve the most critics parts going in and out from the studio in the car, constantly, sometimes i thought to mix in my car.

i just would like to find something that makes my life easier and every time i used krk v6 they are more row, less pleasant, but it's more comfortable to mix in them because i just forget the speaker, even in not treated rooms.

why that? maybe i'm mistaking, and i can't try them in my room unfortunately, that's why i'm asking your thoughts

thanks!
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear addict

i have BM6As and i love them, but the mid-range is the weak point of these monitors.
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
with dynaudio i go blind, i mean i can push one freq and sounds ok, i can push another and sounds ok, i can cut them and sounds ok, i ended up with the snare -15 db than the kick and was ok, but in car and ns10 just disappear.
May I suggest the OP has more serious issues than monitor translation.
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmixer View Post
May I suggest the OP has more serious issues than monitor translation.
like what?
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

I also hate the dynaudios...
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by taa4j6 View Post
i have BM6As and i love them, but the mid-range is the weak point of these monitors.
totally agree with that, i've worked even on BM6A
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
I also hate the dynaudios...
could you argue why?
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
could you argue why?
For the same reasons you described, also I cant really mix at a low volume with these speakers, not like NS-10s, Dynaudios are designed IMO to be pumping in order to get a good sound, and even then, i find they lie a lot, i cant really translate with them. I dont feel comfortable with them...
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear
Seems you want genelec 8040
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
For the same reasons you described, also I cant really mix at a low volume with these speakers, not like NS-10s, Dynaudios are designed IMO to be pumping in order to get a good sound, and even then, i find they lie a lot, i cant really translate with them. I dont feel comfortable with them...
what full range monitor do you use?
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooker View Post
Seems you want genelec 8040
to me seems i want exactly the opposite, genelecs are similar to dynaudio bm6a (which are slower than bm5a) and are even slower than bm6a and has a more pronounced smile curve
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
to me seems i want exactly the opposite, genelecs are similar to dynaudio bm6a (which are slower than bm5a) and are even slower than bm6a and has a more pronounced smile curve
I also agree with this statement, you and i might have very similar ears ehe
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

I'm really surprised to hear that so many folks find the midrange of the dynaudio BM5A and BM6A to be weak. I trust them more when it comes to revealing midrange mud than about any other speaker.

-synthoid
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
I'm really surprised to hear that so many folks find the midrange of the dynaudio BM5A and BM6A to be weak. I trust them more when it comes to revealing midrange mud than about any other speaker.

-synthoid
i don't know i also had the impression they change a lot depending on acoustic.

maybe the cabinet design and the fact that the bass reflex port is in the rear, makes them very dependent on the acoustic and placement.

unfortunately i have them attached to the wall because if i move them ahead the spectrum analyzer tells me i have a couple of big dip in the low end, while in this position i'm pretty flat (just a couple of small peaks around 107, 151, and i don't remember the others :P)
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear addict

BM6As are not perfect, but no speakers are in this price range.

i know their weakness now, it took me a lot of time, but now i can mix properly with them.
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

yeah that's true, but try to find a more comfortable monitoring is legit.. right?

or i should keep using a 30 years old monitor or 50 y.o. monitor like ns and auratones?
Old 3rd February 2010
Gear Head

you re looking for adams monitors
Old 3rd February 2010
Geariophile

Never liked Dynaudios much either. Kind of like virtual listening, no physical impact. Can't 'feel' anything. Did a session once in a place with massive wallmounted ones, mixing a long dance track. They were so 'clean' that as I turned up the volume to try and 'feel' the dynamics I almost ended up death after a runthrough....lol. Perhaps very impressive on spec sheets, but no good to me. Having said that the M2's are very nice indeed, maybe because they have different woofers to the standard Dynaudio weirdness. BM15's to me are the most passable ones that do have the weirdo woofers...just. However the topend was always easy to untangle to a tee on Dynaudios and translates well.....still, no cigar....

Try some PMC TB2's. If you're like me you'll love them, especially in combo with yer trusty white coned ones
Old 3rd February 2010
Geariophile

Quote:
Indeed, I can't stand most Genelecs either. Glassy shite. Everything sounds glassy, no matter how you eq anything.

PMC, geezer, PMC!!
Old 3rd February 2010
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robobaby View Post
You can't 'trust' BM5as but you can trust NS10s? How does that work?
Makes complete sense here! Just that NS-10's won't tell you all the answers.....but what they DO tell you is definite.
Old 3rd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Never liked Dynaudios much either. Kind of like virtual listening, no physical impact. Can't 'feel' anything. Did a session once in a place with massive wallmounted ones, mixing a long dance track. They were so 'clean' that as I turned up the volume to try and 'feel' the dynamics I almost ended up death after a runthrough....lol. Perhaps very impressive on spec sheets, but no good to me. Having said that the M2's are very nice indeed, maybe because they have different woofers to the standard Dynaudio weirdness. BM15's to me are the most passable ones that do have the weirdo woofers...just. However the topend was always easy to untangle to a tee on Dynaudios and translates well.....still, no cigar....

Try some PMC TB2's. If you're like me you'll love them, especially in combo with yer trusty white coned ones
i'm interested about PMC and i'm very interested to your reply because i feel the same you described up here.

so i have some questions for you:

1) have you tried krk v6 series 2? have you also tried krk vxt6 (i've not tried them) i felt they are more row but less dependent to the room and with a similar transient response to ns10 and very clear in the low mid, you don't perceive so much the sub like in the dynaudio (even if both arrive at 50 hz, i think the smile curve let me hear more subs) but i don't even think are so important.

2) i'm a bit scared about bass reflex in the rear and PMC has the bass reflex in the rear, honestly seems in the sides, so maybe this changes something, btw considering that in my room they work good attached to the wall (1 inch to the wall) maybe rear bass reflex could be a problem, that's why i prefer bass reflex in front under the woofer)

3) what do you think about TB1? (cheaper)

4) ok even another question, which amp do you use with PMC

thanks!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search