New Reply
Subscribe
felipe411
13th January 2010
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

TT to XLR wiring (Y-cable) question

Hello,
I need to make a Y-cable. The cue out L and R from the patchbay have to feed my cue amp, which has an XLR input. Can anyone explain how to wire 2 TT cables to terminate in 1 female XLR connector? thank you
13th January 2010
Old 13th January 2010
Gear interested

You don't want to make a y-cable. That would be bad. Never, ever use a Y-cable to combine two signals into one, only use a Y-cable to split one signal into two.

What you are looking for is some flavor of a summing box/circuit. I recommend reading this article which details both why a Y-cable is bad and what you should use:

Why Not Wye?
felipe411
13th January 2010
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaisson21 View Post
You don't want to make a y-cable. That would be bad. Never, ever use a Y-cable to combine two signals into one, only use a Y-cable to split one signal into two.

What you are looking for is some flavor of a summing box/circuit. I recommend reading this article which details both why a Y-cable is bad and what you should use:

Why Not Wye?
Thanks for the link, I appreciatte it, however I have a hard time reading the schematics, for what I can tell this is more of a summing or combining signals. In my situation, I'm trying to make the L and R cue bus out feed my cue amp. I'm using an SSL xdesk and the "centre out" of the master section is a db25 which is going into the patchbay. Now, how can I make these mono signals enter the cue amp, when the input of the amp is a balanced XLR? I don't think I should "sum" these am I correct? I'm confused... thanks again!
13th January 2010
Old 13th January 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipe411 View Post
Thanks for the link, I appreciatte it, however I have a hard time reading the schematics, for what I can tell this is more of a summing or combining signals. In my situation, I'm trying to make the L and R cue bus out feed my cue amp. I'm using an SSL xdesk and the "centre out" of the master section is a db25 which is going into the patchbay. Now, how can I make these mono signals enter the cue amp, when the input of the amp is a balanced XLR? I don't think I should "sum" these am I correct? I'm confused... thanks again!
Are there two discrete signals hitting that db25 - ie 5 or 6 pins worth? Or does your console mix the left and right and then send out one signal to the db25?
felipe411
13th January 2010
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaisson21 View Post
Are there two discrete signals hitting that db25 - ie 5 or 6 pins worth? Or does your console mix the left and right and then send out one signal to the db25?
Two signals, I'm pretty sure -
13th January 2010
Old 13th January 2010
Gear interested

Ok then, in that case you have to use some sort of summing circuit; you can't just make 2 go into 1 automagically. If there are two signals coming from the Xdesk and you need them both to feed one monitor with one input you can either:

A. Build a switch and listen to either the L or the R separately, but not both at the same time or

B. Sum the two signals together. Since you're going into an XLR try this circuit:

But obviously your input sides aren't XLRs so you can ignore that...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search