TT to XLR wiring (Y-cable) question
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

TT to XLR wiring (Y-cable) question

Hello,
I need to make a Y-cable. The cue out L and R from the patchbay have to feed my cue amp, which has an XLR input. Can anyone explain how to wire 2 TT cables to terminate in 1 female XLR connector? thank you
Old 13th January 2010
Gear interested

You don't want to make a y-cable. That would be bad. Never, ever use a Y-cable to combine two signals into one, only use a Y-cable to split one signal into two.

What you are looking for is some flavor of a summing box/circuit. I recommend reading this article which details both why a Y-cable is bad and what you should use:

Why Not Wye?
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaisson21 View Post
You don't want to make a y-cable. That would be bad. Never, ever use a Y-cable to combine two signals into one, only use a Y-cable to split one signal into two.

What you are looking for is some flavor of a summing box/circuit. I recommend reading this article which details both why a Y-cable is bad and what you should use:

Why Not Wye?
Thanks for the link, I appreciatte it, however I have a hard time reading the schematics, for what I can tell this is more of a summing or combining signals. In my situation, I'm trying to make the L and R cue bus out feed my cue amp. I'm using an SSL xdesk and the "centre out" of the master section is a db25 which is going into the patchbay. Now, how can I make these mono signals enter the cue amp, when the input of the amp is a balanced XLR? I don't think I should "sum" these am I correct? I'm confused... thanks again!
Old 13th January 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipe411 View Post
Thanks for the link, I appreciatte it, however I have a hard time reading the schematics, for what I can tell this is more of a summing or combining signals. In my situation, I'm trying to make the L and R cue bus out feed my cue amp. I'm using an SSL xdesk and the "centre out" of the master section is a db25 which is going into the patchbay. Now, how can I make these mono signals enter the cue amp, when the input of the amp is a balanced XLR? I don't think I should "sum" these am I correct? I'm confused... thanks again!
Are there two discrete signals hitting that db25 - ie 5 or 6 pins worth? Or does your console mix the left and right and then send out one signal to the db25?
Old 13th January 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaisson21 View Post
Are there two discrete signals hitting that db25 - ie 5 or 6 pins worth? Or does your console mix the left and right and then send out one signal to the db25?
Two signals, I'm pretty sure -
Old 13th January 2010
Gear interested

Ok then, in that case you have to use some sort of summing circuit; you can't just make 2 go into 1 automagically. If there are two signals coming from the Xdesk and you need them both to feed one monitor with one input you can either:

A. Build a switch and listen to either the L or the R separately, but not both at the same time or

B. Sum the two signals together. Since you're going into an XLR try this circuit:

But obviously your input sides aren't XLRs so you can ignore that...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search