After a lot of reading and research, I'd like to poll folks here for their input.
I'm looking for a single channel mic preamp.
Here are my constraints (please read them before you reply):
- $2000 or less (including power supply and chassis, if separate)
- Primarily for female alto vocal using AT4050
- Vocal sound is mostly soft, folkish, delicate (listen here)
- I'm looking for something versatile enough to do the job on ac guitar, male vocals, accordion, hammond organ through leslie cabinet when needed.
- This is a big one: The preamp needs to be popular and therefore easy to resell if I need the cash (i.e., nothing even remotely obscure)
Input I'm looking for (mainly the first two questions below):
- Which preamp do you recommend?
- Why - what about the sound would be good for my use case and/or secondary use cases?
- Are there popular preamps (or types of preamps) I should avoid and why?
- What, if any, other outboard gear would be particularly helpful for this use case (EQ, comp)
Thanks in advance for your thoughts!