New Rush album June 2010
SonicSkippy
9th January 2010
Old 9th January 2010
Gear Head

New Rush album June 2010

Quote:
RUSH Last Post of the night; There will be a new album releasing this year. Hopefully by June, and there most likely will be a summer tour. If there is we will post dates and places. Thanks.
RUSH Last Post of the night; There will be a new album releasing this year. Hopefully by June, and there most likely will be a summer tour. If there is we will post dates and places. Thanks. | Facebook

Wonder if Richard Chycki is involved again?

Wishing for more room sound and less folksy songwriting on this one.
9th January 2010
Old 9th January 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSkippy View Post
I have all the Rush albums - I couldn't get into Snakes and Arrows - musically it felt too dark and grungy. I miss the Rush of Farewell to Kings and Permanent Waves.
9th January 2010
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianzxcvb View Post
I have all the Rush albums - I couldn't get into Snakes and Arrows - musically it felt too dark and grungy. I miss the Rush of Farewell to Kings and Permanent Waves.
I go a little further back...

I like the 1st album with drummer John Rutsey, it all went downhill after that for me.
9th January 2010
Old 9th January 2010
Gear addict

I'm still crazy about Moving Pictures. But their more recent stuff.....not so much. But I always buy their their latest releases regardless. Thanks for the heads up!
9th January 2010
Old 9th January 2010
Good Listener

I learned Hemispheres front to back, loved Farewell To Kings, I lost interest after those. As soon as Geddy Lee started playing keyboards, it was never the same for me. Same for Van Halen.
9th January 2010
Old 9th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
I'm still crazy about Moving Pictures. But their more recent stuff.....not so much. But I always buy their their latest releases regardless. Thanks for the heads up!
Nice room with leather sofa, lights on dim, with Dunlavy tower speakers and about 3000 watts of amps, cup of Earl Grey tea with two shots of Romana sambuca, and genuine Indian incense burning... that album on blast....heaven

10th January 2010
Old 10th January 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carllock View Post
nice room with leather sofa, lights on dim, with dunlavy tower speakers and about 3000 watts of amps, cup of earl grey tea with two shots of romana sambuca, and genuine indian incense burning... That album on blast....heaven

'slappa dabass mon!'
10th January 2010
Old 10th January 2010
Lives for gear

For several albums now, Rush has been going back and forth between albums I love and albums I can't get into at all. I felt that Roll the Bones was mostly boring, Counterparts was amazing, Test for Echo was almost unlistenable, Vapor Trails was (aside from the brick wall of mastering) brilliant, Snakes and Arrows was back to mostly boring. Presto was the album that got me into Rush in the first place so it's always got a special place in my heart.

I can't wait for this one.
10th January 2010
Old 10th January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared View Post
Presto was the album that got me into Rush in the first place so it's always got a special place in my heart.
Me too. Still probably my favourite Rush album.
9th February 2010
Old 9th February 2010
Gear interested

The albums 'Rush' through 'Caress of Steel' are pretty good, but not great.

To me, '2112' through 'Moving Pictures' were their glory years. I liked EVERY song from every one of those albums.

I was originally really let down by 'Signals', but after repeated listenings, I grew to like it a lot. But it still had songs I didn't like. Ditto for 'Grace Under Pressure', 'Power Windows', and 'Hold Your Fire'. The good outweighed the bad.

From 'Presto' to 'Counterparts', there were even more songs per album that I disliked. But once again, I grew to appreciate those albums with repeated listenings. They were about 50% good, 50% bad.

Rush finally lost me starting at 'Test For Echo'. This was the point where the bad finally outweighed the good. To make things worse, their albums are too long these days. I'd rather have 40 minutes of great tunes than over 60 minutes of mediocre tunes.
9th February 2010
Old 9th February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebox View Post
I always get their latest albums, but I no longer buy them myself. I ask people to buy them for me for Christmas. If they suck, I don't feel bad since I didn't waste my money on them.
24th April 2010
Old 24th April 2010
Gear maniac

I hope they don't crush this one like the last 14 albums! tutt
Please?
24th April 2010
Old 24th April 2010
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisbrown View Post
Me too. Still probably my favourite Rush album.
I love Presto too but I find both the original CD and remaster so thin sounding. In fact I am dubious if the remaster is actually different.

To a lesser extent the same problem existed (to my ears) with Power Windows through to Roll the bones, however the remasters have made a decent amount of difference. Presto seems to be the odd one out.

Counterparts sounds fantastic but I missed the keyboards
24th April 2010
Old 24th April 2010
Gear Guru

I too find their records after 'Moving Pictures' rather spotty, with some downright bad. I do like 'Snakes and Arrows' though, excellent record.

For the other Moving Pictures' fans, they are going to play the whole record front to back on this summer's tour, which I already bought my ticket to.
24th April 2010
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintb View Post
The albums 'Rush' through 'Caress of Steel' are pretty good, but not great.

To me, '2112' through 'Moving Pictures' were their glory years. I liked EVERY song from every one of those albums.

I was originally really let down by 'Signals', but after repeated listenings, I grew to like it a lot. But it still had songs I didn't like. Ditto for 'Grace Under Pressure', 'Power Windows', and 'Hold Your Fire'. The good outweighed the bad.

From 'Presto' to 'Counterparts', there were even more songs per album that I disliked. But once again, I grew to appreciate those albums with repeated listenings. They were about 50% good, 50% bad.

Rush finally lost me starting at 'Test For Echo'. This was the point where the bad finally outweighed the good. To make things worse, their albums are too long these days. I'd rather have 40 minutes of great tunes than over 60 minutes of mediocre tunes.
You forgot Permanant Waves. 2112 and Moving Pictures. My fav 3.
Peace Todd
24th April 2010
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

There's something to like on all of their albums for me. The earliest years had a really unique approach, it set them solidly apart from every prog band. My favorite era, for catchy, songs was 'Permanent Waves' through 'Power Windows'. There have been great moments since. "Superconductor" on 'Presto' was a standout for that album. Not prog, but it's catchy. The much chided 'Grace Under Pressure' has some great hooks, "Beneath The Wheels" "The Body Electric". It's all about what you prefer. Some listened just for Geddy's bass lines. Some for Neal's drums. Some for both. Some for songs. Something for everyone really. But like most bands and artists, from Rush to Paul McCartney to Genesis, who released a lot of material over a lot of years. You do run out of ideas eventually. I wish it weren't true. I do think their songwriting peaked with the 'first side' of "Signals". Pure songwriting euphoria. That synth solo on "Subdivisions", the guitar solo on "The Analog Kid". I have never needed drugs or drink, the right songs can take you there.
24th April 2010
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddF View Post
You forgot Permanant Waves. 2112 and Moving Pictures. My fav 3.
Peace Todd
Hemispheres, Permanant Waves & Moving Pictures
24th April 2010
Old 24th April 2010
Lives for gear

I cant believe "Counterparts" does'nt get more respect. Very well written tunes. I can listen to that record all day.
25th April 2010
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

I also agree w. those who say that every Rush album has something to really like. I find very few of their offerings "bad". Some I prefer more than others.

If you haven't heard their last 5x recordings, you should. I think their latest releases are, for the most part, fantastic. Try to find a band that doesn't have something inconsistent on every album, and also over a 30 year span. That's terrific! They're still creating after all these years.

I too think that Presto was a very unique outing for them, and one that hasn't been repeated (but then, which of their albums has?). It's interesting to note that that album was easily found in the cut-out bins for years after its release, and generally commercially and critically deemed a flop. Go figure!
25th April 2010
Old 25th April 2010
Lives for gear

All the worlds a stage - Whoo Yeah!
25th April 2010
Old 25th April 2010
Gear nut

6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
I hope they don't crush this one like the last 14 albums! tutt
Please?

New Rush songs leaked from upcoming Caravan album

I'm really liking it so far, a lot like their older stuff, but these guys still know how to make me happy
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
I still throw on 2112 or Hemispheres or Permanent Waves once in a while and sit back and am blown away. They are one of those rare bands that carved out a space totally their own. When you hear those albums it couldn't be anyone else. And they are probably about as technical as it would be possible to be while still remaining emotionally impactful in a rock and roll sort of way, and retaining highly singable, melodic songs. I can't imagine anyone topping that really. As good in a different sort of way, but not topping them at their own game.

I lost touch after that as well. I can understand their reasons. Where else could they go? Maybe into King Crimson territory or something, but probably well paste where any sort of mainstream audience would have followed them. And of course just the repeating yourself problem exists, where you have to do something radically different in order to avoid just doing the same thing again since you can't come up with any better way of doing what you've already done.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

What a bunch of geeks!

Where are all of the chicks? tutt

I agree from 2112 to Moving Pictures was the BEST of RUSH (and just when Geddy's voice was becoming listenable too!)
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Gear nut

RUSH: BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE has been playing on VH1. It is thumbsup
You have to see it.
6th July 2010
Old 6th July 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Chycki View Post
I am ....
Very cool Richard!

I have the Caravan and BU2B mp3s and I'm digging them, can't wait to get the disc.

I noticed you guys have a lot of background "atmospheric" sounds going on, especially in BU2B. This is done so expertly, I just smile and shake my head.. You and that band are WAY out front. Keep up the great sounds!
7th July 2010
Old 7th July 2010
Gear addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquashPile View Post
RUSH: BEYOND THE LIGHTED STAGE has been playing on VH1. It is thumbsup
You have to see it.
I agree. It's also on DVD, if you want to get it that way. Rented it a couple of days ago, thought it was great.
7th July 2010
Old 7th July 2010
Gear interested

The new songs sound quite promising ... While I still enjoy it a lot, I wasn't crazy about S&A mostly because of the aforementiened folksy songwriting .... these 2 songs sound a lot more "modern" and heavy, and I like that.

Unlike most of the people in here, I'm a big fan of post-80's Rush. My favourite albums as a whole are Counterparts and Vapor Trails (despite the production) and my all time favourite song has to be either "Mystic Rhythms" or "The Pass". The new songs have the "Vapor Trails" and "Counterparts" vibe... really energetic, upfront rock songs.

IMO, post-80's Rush has better songs, while old school Rush is more performance-oriented. "Less is More" and "Being Simple is complicated" come to my mind. I love how you can still hear the master musicianship through the apparently simple songs . Simpler grooves extremely well played ... I love that.

Totally looking forward to have this new album
7th July 2010
Old 7th July 2010
Lives for gear

Just heard clips of 2 of the new songs...very very cool sounding stuff this time. Sounds like they're rockin' again!

Looks like they're skipping Arizona on this tour though, I hope not. Hope they're not one of those bands protesting AZ's new immigration law, LOL.
12th January 2011
Old 12th January 2011

Richard - BU2B- how did you get the cool fat smooth slightly overdriven vocal sound on Geddy's voice? - sounds great.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search