New Reply
Subscribe
JonnyTekniq
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear interested

Getting data off old Atari ST floppy disks

Hello there.

I've found up some of my old floppy disks that have cubase song data on from when I was using an Atari ST many many years ago. I know its a long shot and the data is probably corrupt now but I'm trying to see what's the easiest way to get the data off those disks seeing I don't have an ST anymore and the only device I still own which has a floppy drive is my old trusty Akai S6000.

Does anybody know if there is a way I could use the Akai's floppy drive to read the disks and transfer the data to my Mac via Ak/sys? If not then any other ideas would be great.
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTekniq View Post
Hello there.

I've found up some of my old floppy disks that have cubase song data on from when I was using an Atari ST many many years ago. I know its a long shot and the data is probably corrupt now but I'm trying to see what's the easiest way to get the data off those disks seeing I don't have an ST anymore and the only device I still own which has a floppy drive is my old trusty Akai S6000.

Does anybody know if there is a way I could use the Akai's floppy drive to read the disks and transfer the data to my Mac via Ak/sys? If not then any other ideas would be great.
No, that won't work.
Your best bet is finding an atari.
But then, as you know, they will propably be corrupt.
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via AIM to Steffmo
If I'm not mistaken, and I owned 4 Atari's, they used MS-DOS for the floppy format.

If you just want the raw data try a PC with a floppy. I might be hallucinating, it was loooong ago. But I think it works..
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffmo View Post
If I'm not mistaken, and I owned 4 Atari's, they used MS-DOS for the floppy format.

If you just want the raw data try a PC with a floppy. I might be hallucinating, it was loooong ago. But I think it works..
No.. you weren't hallucinating.
The first floppy discs were the 512 "double density" variety which had a particular Atari format. These will only be understood by an Atari.
The larger "high density" floppies could be formatted ms dos style.
So, if these floppies are indeed HD, there will be a way to get them into a PC.

To OP: Finding ways to translate this data in a meaningful way will drive you crazy... me been there.
My advice is to pick up a 1040 for peanuts and do a MIDI dump straight into your target DAW.
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Banned

It is funny to see this here.

I just threw out about fifty 3.5 floppies on Wednesday that were from the days when I used an ATARI ST and Mastertracks Pro as a sequencer.
I threw out the ATARI itself two summers ago after I tried to sell it in a garage sale.
I tossed it, a Mac IIci, an early iMac and a Mac 7100 in the trash (I'm a bad ecology guy aren't I?)

I recall ATARIs as using a system called T.O.S. which stood for The Operating System.

ATARIs were also based on the same Motorola micro-processor as a Mac.
I don't think you'll be able to extract anything if ou put it in any PC.
The operating systems are as different as a Mac and PC.

I had made one attempt to pull some on the data off of the floppies before I tthrew out the ATARI itself, but the drive was mis-aligned and it would read anything I wanted to save.

Good luck.
3rd January 2010
Old 3rd January 2010
Gear Guru

Similar but not the same I was able to review soundsets/samples from my old Roland W30 discs using a USB floppy drive and Awave Studio or DCXtract on my PC - that was fun!

I wanted to do the same thing with my Akai S3000 Zip Discs, but none of the software seem to be able to read from the Zip Drive - it sees it, but can't read the data... I may have to try and xfer the Akai data to a CDR but I don't know if that will work (copying from the zip drive and burning to CDR).

do this long enough and the legacy data archiving issues really show thier head - I was far to lazy for too long to transfer files from one medium/format to another when I had working components on both sides of the eqaution.

I've had good luck with backwards compatible emulators and datafile readers - but it's hit and miss.

good luck to all!
4th January 2010
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

I'm 99% sure a windows box WILL read Atari disks... at least, they read mine many years ago when I moved from Atari. But the road is a long one, because only cubase SX 1 and 2 read .all files if I remember correctly. Once you have them into an SX format they should work.
4th January 2010
Old 4th January 2010
Lives for gear

I still have an Atari 1040ST computer here complete with the Hybrid Arts sequencing package and the SMPTE box to lock to video! Haven't fired it up in 25 years but she may still work. Have all the manuals as well. Everything is packed in their original boxes... just amazing what you can hold on to!

Danny, these things go for 300.00 used on ebay now! You should have tried to sell it there before a garage sale
Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
518-581-8141
http://www.silvertonemastering.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Silve...82560415140525
------------------------------------------------
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search