Car Deck with USB and WAV compatible
Old 2nd January 2010
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Car Deck with USB and WAV compatible

I'm looking to buy a half decent USB car deck that is WAV compatible so I no longer have to rip CDs to listen to my mixes in the car. So far it seems only JVC (starting at the KD-R800 model) and Pioneer are capable of playing wav files. Are there any other brands WAV compatible that I should consider?
Old 3rd January 2010
  #2
Gear addict
 
David_Kessler's Avatar
 

Best Buy has some Alpine units that do what you are looking for.
Old 3rd January 2010
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Kessler View Post
Best Buy has some Alpine units that do what you are looking for.
I looked into the Alpine stuff but I didn't come across anything that could play wav files.... I could be wrong though. What model?
Old 3rd January 2010
  #4
Gear interested
 

Have you considered just bouncing your mixes to 320kbps mp3? I know there are lots of head units with USB slots these days, but the WAV compatibility in the USB slot seems like it may be hard to find, if it exists.
Old 4th January 2010
  #5
Gear maniac
 

Just went thorugh this process.
Nothing currently on the market will play anything larger than a 320 mp3 file.
Not all units can "quickly" handle large mp3 files.
The Alpine CDA 105 is good for the money - the 9886 is kind of overkill (I have both in different vehicles) They each have the same digital power amp - but the 9886 has a different pre amp and slower interface processor. The 9886 has blackout mode if you like a dark dash - also has a small fan. They both have a high pass filter and internal amp disable. The DA converters are good enough for the noise floor of an automobile . The CD player sounds good - Lame 320 files are passable. Alpine does/did make a unit with Burr/Brown coverters - not sure if it has USB.
Nothing currently beats USB for convienence. Quick mix to a stick and go for a ride - after a while you'll learn how your mixes translate to the stick/car system.
Purchase quality fast sticks and don't unplug while it's in operation.
Old 4th January 2010
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Just went thorugh this process.
Nothing currently on the market will play anything larger than a 320 mp3 file.
Not all units can "quickly" handle large mp3 files.
Really? Here's a link to the JVC site and if you click on KD-800 it says it's wav compatible.

JVC Canada

Am I missing something here?
Old 4th January 2010
  #7
Lives for gear
 

I just bought a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD. I bought it for the USB function so I could stop burning 10 CDRs to check a single mix. :p
I haven't actually tried a wav file yet. lemme go try. brb

Old 4th January 2010
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er View Post
I just bought a Pioneer AVH-P3100DVD. I bought it for the USB function so I could stop burning 10 CDRs to check a single mix. :p
I haven't actually tried a wav file yet. lemme go try. brb

let me know how it works out. how are the DA converters on the Pioneer stuff? I looked at their specs for receivers in my price range and it wasn't clear if they were 24bit. I know the JVC stuff is 24 bit.
Old 4th January 2010
  #9
Lives for gear
 
musical5's Avatar
 

My Kenwood did, but I had it stolen. I bought another Kenwood and it did not. I was quite annoyed. The older one did but the new one doesnt!? Maybe another model Kenwood will.
Old 4th January 2010
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by musical5 View Post
My Kenwood did, but I had it stolen. I bought another Kenwood and it did not. I was quite annoyed. The older one did but the new one doesnt!? Maybe another model Kenwood will.
It looks like aac is the highest quality for the new Kenwoods.
Old 4th January 2010
  #11
Lives for gear
 

That's a negative. Damn I thought it was supposed to. I literally just installed this thing days ago. I was looking at so many though I guess it would've been easy to forget what did what.

Oh well. I know some of them do though. I was reading specs on different stereos like crazy for about a week and I know for a fact that I saw some that said they did.

Don't know the specs on the converters and can't seem to find any. It sounds as good as any car stereo I've heard though.

Good luck on your search.
Old 4th January 2010
  #12
Lives for gear
 

JVC KW-AVX810



General features:
in-dash DVD receiver with built-in amp (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
7" screen with touchpanel controls
fits double-sized dash openings
wireless remote
Audio/visual features:
7-band iEQ equalizer
plays MP3/WMA/WAV/AAC on CD/DVD, USB thumb drive or SD card
DVD +/-R/RW, DivX, JPEG, MPEG playback
Expandability:
compatible with iPod adapter, Bluetooth adapter, satellite radio, HD Radio tuner
inputs: USB port, SD slot, one A/V input, rearview camera input
outputs: one composite video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, sub), optical digital output


Pioneer CarÂ*Entertainment Car Audio - CD Player

according to that link the bottom few say they play wav too.


EDIT: Damn that's weird. All of these low end pioneers seem to play wavs and not this one or other ones with screens. Dammit!
Old 4th January 2010
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er View Post
That's a negative. Damn I thought it was supposed to. I literally just installed this thing days ago. I was looking at so many though I guess it would've been easy to forget what did what.

Oh well. I know some of them do though. I was reading specs on different stereos like crazy for about a week and I know for a fact that I saw some that said they did.

Don't know the specs on the converters and can't seem to find any. It sounds as good as any car stereo I've heard though.

Good luck on your search.
What model number is yours? Most of the specs I've looked at for the pioneer stuff says they play wavs. strange that yours doesn't.
Old 4th January 2010
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
What model number is yours? Most of the specs I've looked at for the pioneer stuff says they play wavs. strange that yours doesn't.
I have the AVH-P3100DVD. I'm suprised I can play DivX movies and not a wav file. You totally screwed up my night dude!
Old 4th January 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesa4x12er View Post
I have the AVH-P3100DVD. I'm suprised I can play DivX movies and not a wav file. You totally screwed up my night dude!
If it makes you feel better, I'm putting a deck in a 98 sunfire.
Old 4th January 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
If it makes you feel better, I'm putting a deck in a 98 sunfire.
It doesn't. Mine just went into an 02 Hyundai Elantra.

on the plus side I found this for my stereo

Sampling Frequency 16/22.05/24/ 44.1/48/ 88.2/ 96/176.4/192kHz

Quantization Bits 16/20/24-bit:Linear

EDIT: I should add that I don't know what it means but I found it!
Old 4th January 2010
  #17
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumphysics View Post
Just went through this process.
Nothing currently on the market will play anything larger than a 320 mp3 file.
My bad - a quick google came up with this -
pioneer plays WAV files thru usb - Car Audio Forum - CarAudio.com

I guess deep down I really wanted the (single din) Alpine preamp/converters and Crutchfield overlooked the Pioneer unit (if that Google post is correct)

My next car won't have a radio - Ariel Atom!
Old 4th January 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Crutchfield overlooked the Pioneer unit (if that Google post is correct)
I'm not familiar with Crutchfield. Do they review electronics?
Old 4th January 2010
  #19
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Really? Here's a link to the JVC site and if you click on KD-800 it says it's wav compatible.

JVC Canada

Am I missing something here?
my wife has the KD800 & it works just fine for this kind of stuff
Old 5th January 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 

Old 5th January 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyDemonic View Post
my wife has the KD800 & it works just fine for this kind of stuff
cool. I've narrowed it down to the JVC KD-800 and the Pioneer DEH-P3100UB. Anyone have any experience with these brands? They both have 1 bit converters, the JVC has burr browns but is also a little more expensive.
Old 5th January 2010
  #22
Lives for gear
 

They are both great brands. Been using Pioneer in my cars for the last 10 years with no issues. Never had a stereo die.

JVCs I've been using at home forever. My parents have one that's still going strong from 1983 as well. :wave:
Old 5th January 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
nukmusic's Avatar
 

GMC Denali
Old 6th January 2010
  #24
Gear maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB872 View Post
Pioneer DEH-P3100UB. Anyone have any experience with these brands?
I have this. I love it. Even though the manual doesn't mention WAV files, it plays them just fine. When I'm working on a mix, I just throw the WAV onto a thumb drive, plug it in, and it plays instantly. I also hook up my iPod touch, and set it to allow me to control it at the iPod instead of the deck.

The only thing that bugs me about this thing, is that for the life of me I can't figure out how to PAUSE a CD! Maybe I need to take a better look at my manual...
Old 6th January 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewh View Post
I have this. I love it. Even though the manual doesn't mention WAV files, it plays them just fine. When I'm working on a mix, I just throw the WAV onto a thumb drive, plug it in, and it plays instantly. I also hook up my iPod touch, and set it to allow me to control it at the iPod instead of the deck.

The only thing that bugs me about this thing, is that for the life of me I can't figure out how to PAUSE a CD! Maybe I need to take a better look at my manual...
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Pioneer. thx to everyone for helping out.
Old 6th January 2010
  #26
Lives for gear
 

Are wav decks really that hard to find? My factory deck does this but a bigger question is why not use CD-RWs to check work? That's what I do.
Old 6th January 2010
  #27
Lives for gear
 

Thread Starter
I've only found two brands that do this within a certain price range. And CD-RWs cost money and take time to burn, where using a usb stick to check mixes is quick and free.
Old 6th January 2010
  #28
Lives for gear
 
O.F.F.'s Avatar
 

I think my Clarion cz209 will do it.

Personally I have not tried it as I use AIFFs and mp3s on my ipod but someone on Amazon said it does in a customer review.
Old 6th January 2010
  #29
Gear maniac
 

CDRW? I haven't heard that come up in conversation in a while. It reminds me of an amusing anecdote I sometimes share.

When I first started out recording, I multi-tracked a lot of bands live to a Fostex VF16. At the time I didn't have an easy way to transfer the files to a computer DAW, so I would literally do a real-time transfer of 2 tracks at a time to a CDRW, and then rip that onto the computer. I was able to get them all in sync by turning the click track on within the VF16 and letting it print a few hits at the head of every single transfer.

I did that for at least a year...there's no telling how much that single CDRW was abused. Let's just say I got my money's worth!
Old 13th January 2010
  #30
Lives for gear
 

I just found this

USB Input: The AVH-P3100DVD has a female Type A USB 2.0 Full Speed port on its front panel. You can plug in a USB portable audio player or a USB memory device. This unit is compatible with USB Mass Storage Class compliant portable audio player and memory devices, loaded with MP3, WMA, AAC, and WAV files. Up to 65,535 files, 6,000 folders, and up to 8 tiers can be played back. It can accept memory of 250 MB to 250 GB formatted in FAT32 or FAT16 file system. This unit also supports JPEG still image files (up to 8,192 x 7,680 pixels) loaded on a USB mass storage device.

Why can I not play damn WAV files?!#!$<@$1@>$<!@$<!@
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Jules / Electronic Music Instruments & Electronic Music Production
6
Mr.Amokk / Low End Theory
5
Shadow_7 / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.