Double bass pickups for rockabilly
Old 27th December 2009
Gear addict

Double bass pickups for rockabilly

Hey,

My friend has recently started playing double bass and is going to be playing in Rockabilly band and a covers band. He is looking at getting some pick ups for his double bass but will be looking for two different sounds for each band. He plans on running the bass through a bass amp with smaller speakers to get more punch.

For the rockabilly band he is look for a punchy sound and to pick up alot of slap and click from the fret board.

For the covers band he is looking for more rounded bassy sound.

So far he has been looking at putting a piezo under the bridge using a magnetic pick up at the bottom of the fret board and has also been looking into using a drum trigger at the back of the fret board for extra click. He is going to need a pre with 3 inputs and a mix so all three sources can be mixed. He plays with nylon strings but is going to be switching to steel strings so any suggestions here would be great as well.

He will be looking at recording with me with his setup once both bands are ready so I'm trying to help him get the right sound out of his bass and rig.

If anyone plays the double bass or has any experience recording them in rockabilly type bands any ideas would be great as my background is in hard rock / metal.

thanks
ow
Old 28th December 2009
Gear addict

have we got no double bass playing rockabilly slutz out there??
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

sand into the grain

Im going on my own physics assumption that dynamic ribbons if used properly will give the best wide open bass frequency

so out of curiosity
I would suggest suspending a ribbon motor inside of
the of a bass

kinda how they put the dowel in a violin
build a ribbon motor to a suspended dowel
thingy
Old 28th December 2009
Lives for gear

Double bass pickups for rockabilly-bass-motor.jpg

Double bass pickups for rockabilly-double-bass-ribbon.jpg
Old 21st January 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
sand into the grain

Im going on my own physics assumption that dynamic ribbons if used properly will give the best wide open bass frequency

so out of curiosity
I would suggest suspending a ribbon motor inside of
the of a bass

kinda how they put the dowel in a violin
build a ribbon motor to a suspended dowel
thingy
My guess is that probably won't work very well, due to the bidirectional nature of ribbon mics - the pressure on the 2 sides of the ribbon will tend to balance in the enclosed body of the instrument. Better to use a pressure gradient mic like an omni condenser than a velocity type like a ribbon.

Also, rockabilly standup basses tend to get knocked around a lot and ribbons are fragile.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search