Login / Register

Profire2626 for Christmas... here I go...
New Reply
Subscribe
genesis
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Gear interested

Profire2626 for Christmas... here I go...

Hello everyone. This is my first post.

I have gotten a surprise this year. A Profire2626. The wife heard me talkin bout it in my endless search for a recording/p.a. gear setup. Although this is a great gift(wow) I am now stuck with either setting up a system which can seamlessly work with the Profire or send it back for something else that would better suit my needs.

My needs.

I have a 5 peice rock band, heavy at times. We rehearse in my basement. I am also in a top 40 rock/dance cover band, we do not rehearse. I want to create some sort of rack that houses everything needed for recording on a computer in multiple tracks and use the same gear to power a live p.a. for playing through with a choice to record the live show also. I am thinking of using Reaper as the software for simultaneous track recording and Editing. I know my way around audio software enough to use any of them. I am also thinking of using triggers on the acoustic drum kit with Superior Drummer.

The profire2626 was one of the units I was researching. The good thing is that I do not need to try and get the profire2626 to work with an already established system, I can set up a new system "AROUND" the Profire2626.

One of the All IN ONE DIY racks I was planning "with" the Profire2626 would ideally want to be like below:

HP monitor pop up(at the top)
mac-mini
externall HD
Art Power center
Profire2626
XLR patchbay(to bring the xlr's to the front if needed)
Behringer Headphone amp
Peavy IPR lightweight Power amp(powering the mains for live shows)

Of coarse this is the planning stage and these are the basics. There would probably be more addons and changes to this system...
The mac mini is also an option as i could use a laptop(windows) or macbook or a tower for that matter...

I have also been looking into recording mixers like the Mackie Onyx 1640i and others to use instead...

But now i "HAVE" the Profire2626...

So, what do you all think, is the profire2626 usable for this purpose or shall i go a different route??? thats the main question...

If you think the Profire2626 is good for this... is there a list or thread you know of somewhere on which computer would best suit the Profire2626 for stability and compatibility(OS, Mothereboard...etc)??

Thanks all very much...
genesis
28th December 2009
Old 28th December 2009
Gear interested

After some research....

O.K. so I have decided to keep the profire2626... now the fun part, setting up a compatible and stable system.
So, from my own research, this is the motherboard I am thinkin bout with TI chipset Firewire...

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R / Intel P45.
Buy the Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Motherboard at TigerDirect.ca

Thinking of the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 as the CPU.

Anything look out of place yet? any input or tips would be greatly appreciated?
Thanks
5th January 2010
Old 5th January 2010
Shark Sandwich

That thing will run just fine on nearly any machine with a good 4 gigs of ram and a decent processor. I like my mac, and use a 17" MBP, although sometimes I boot windows on it and use pt there just for fun, and to make sure I understand what can go wrong with windows in case I get a job somewhere that runs PCs in their studio.

Any DAW you like will work, but Protools M-Powered is stable and reliable, and compatible with your device. Easy to learn, too.

But remember, it's more important to have a good ear than a good DAW. Use Audacity or Garageband if you have to.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search