Login / Register

TC Finalizer and Gold Channel - Differences?
New Reply
Subscribe
mikeshep
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Gear nut

TC Finalizer and Gold Channel - Differences?

Hi, I use a Finalizer Express as my main final stage processor in a VO Studio - not doing much tweaking with it - just some light compression and selective EQ, modest downward expander use. A talent recently suggested the TC Gold Channel (which he happened to have) was perhaps a better box.

I have never really looked at the difference between these and on the surface wonder whether there's any major advantage of the Gold Channel for my purposes. I have good Class A Pres (Fearn and Great River) - some fine condensers - (Neumann 49, Peluso, Senn 416). Mostly delivering dry voice material as either "air-ready" or going to Post/Video facilities for edit. The basic chain is Pre>Finalizer>Lynx L22> Mac G4 to Bias Peak on OS 9...outputting mostly as .wav/.aiffs or, for auditions or if requested, mps to FTP.

Sidenote. I've had a very nice Waves L2 (the hardware version) that's been sitting in my rack unused for several years now. Any thoughts on how that might fit into this signal path. It became somewhat overkill after we went with the Finalizer but I've always loved the clean compression this unit delivers. I also love the sound of my Distressor but that's another piece that's pretty much gone unused along with the L2 since whenever it was we switched to essentially the Finalizer Plus for processing. Not using any plug-ins except for some occasional special efx on mixed spots, BTW.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Mike E
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

mikeshep
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Gear nut

interesting

Thanks for the manual. Well, on first glance it looks alot like the Finalizer Plus does pretty much most of what the Gold Channel does minus the preamp... not sure if maybe the interface is designed to be a little simpler on the GC than than the Finalizer - maybe so...
27th December 2009
Old 27th December 2009
Lives for gear

an honorable mention should go to the finalizer express as well.

ive owned one for a few years and it has performed reliably.

as a bonus, it has turn-able knobs.

something that kept me from moving on to the finalizer 96k

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search