the Dan Auerbach tone
Old 21st December 2009
Gear interested

the Dan Auerbach tone

If you have the time, listen to the the Dan Auerbach album (singer of the Black Keys), there is some VERY inspiring tones. It had the same effect on me than the first Raconteurs: a deep analog kick in the ass
Old 21st December 2009
Joel Hamilton recorded the Blak Roc album that features the Black Keys backing several rappers. I'm sure he can chime in with what Dan uses. I know Dan has a API 1608 console at his personal space.
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

i love the Black Keys.... Haven't listened to Dans solo stuff yet, but id like to know more as well...
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

'i'm like a kid and you're a walking candy-store...'

haha! dan's the man!.....saw the black keys at brixton and....can you believe it the FOH mix was aweful - you could not hear dan's vox at all.....unforgiveable!.......saw dan and his band live and it was badass!.....his tone is dead cool...just chiming in with more love for dan!
Old 21st December 2009
Lives for gear

Pretty sweet sounds on that record for sure.
Old 21st December 2009
Gear interested

I know....

...my friend Mark Neill had a large hand in that record: he recorded a good deal of it, and mixed the entire project. He also assisted Dan in setting up his studio.

Mark's studio in San Diego: Soil of the South - Home

Great response to a lazy Rolling Stone magazine article about The Black Keys' experiences recording in Muscle Shoals: LINK

"Keep It Hid" is a great record, and I look forward to hearing the next BK release tracked at MSS!!!!

Jon
Old 21st December 2009
Gear addict

Last edited by Empora; 21st December 2009 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: lol forgot the link!
Old 22nd December 2009
Gear interested

That's it!
Old 29th December 2009
Gear interested

Dan sounds like Dan because of his playing.
We used my Supro 12" combo for guitar AND bass on the whole Blakroc record.
with an SM7 buried on the grill, Chandler Germ Pre sometimes, Neve 33114 (in my console) sometimes. Always the Supro, always the SM7... oh maybe one time for bass we had a FET47 or something weird on there. Probably not though. Probably just SM7 the whole time.
The Guitar is the player, in my opinion.
Oh, and dan used his Harmony guitar and a bunch of pedals I have. like a maestro lowpass/fuzz thing. that got some love.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

I just got Keep It Hid (Dan's solo album), and Attack And Release (the latest Black Keys offering), and both are brilliant. I like the Black Keys' earlier stuff, but this sounds absolutely magical.
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric sugar View Post
i just got keep it hid (dan's solo album), and attack and release (the latest black keys offering), and both are brilliant. I like the black keys' earlier stuff, but this sounds absolutely magical.

i loved magic potion, and was absolutely blown away by attack and release....
Old 30th December 2009
Lives for gear

Yes Dan is one of a kind, his feel, tunings and licks are incredible.
I would even go so far as to say he would still sound great through an amp simulation plug in.
Old 4th January 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelHamilton View Post
Dan sounds like Dan because of his playing.
We used my Supro 12" combo for guitar AND bass on the whole Blakroc record.
with an SM7 buried on the grill, Chandler Germ Pre sometimes, Neve 33114 (in my console) sometimes. Always the Supro, always the SM7... oh maybe one time for bass we had a FET47 or something weird on there. Probably not though. Probably just SM7 the whole time.
The Guitar is the player, in my opinion.
Oh, and dan used his Harmony guitar and a bunch of pedals I have. like a maestro lowpass/fuzz thing. that got some love.
Thanks for the info Joel!

He's likes small combos for recording - I read in an interview he has a small Ampeg combo that appeared on a number of records

/megl
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search