Next gear purchase advice
JPeters86
20th November 2009
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Next gear purchase advice

Hi guys,

I need some advice on what to buy next and satisfy my GAS for a while!

What I have now:
  • MOTU 8pre
  • Apple MacBook Pro
  • Samsung 26" screen
  • Dynaudio BM5a (2) with Primacoustic Recoil Stabilizers
  • Kel HM7U
  • Kel HM2D
  • Kel HM1 (2)
  • SM 58 (3)
  • SM 57 (2)
  • Peluso 2247
  • Little blondies (2)
  • Some vintage Sansui headphone
  • Euphonix MC Mix
  • SM Pro Audio volume control
  • Logic 9
  • Lots of plugs (PSP, Sonalksis, Izotope, Tritone)

I'm looking for the next best thing to help me improve my recordings and mixes. Do I need to upgrade my preamps? Will it really be that much of a difference? My room is properly treated by the way. Or should I invest in a Pro Tools system? I like Logic but I have some stability issues since version 9.

I record John Mayer / Mark Knopfler / Norah Jones-esque music, perhaps this helps.

Thank you guys!!
20th November 2009
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Each of the items below would help to improve what you have.
JPeters86
20th November 2009
Old 20th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Thanks. The thing is that if I want to take the OTB route, I need something to replace my MOTU. It doesn't have analog outs. I'm not sure yet if I really want to go OTB and if my budget allows.
21st November 2009
Old 21st November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaman View Post
Hahaha Well played sir!

What do you not like about your mixes at the moment? Without knowing that any recommendations you get are just going to be people telling you what piece of gear they personally use or like (or are trying to flog), which probably won't help you a great deal.
JPeters86
21st November 2009
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyRhodes View Post
Hahaha Well played sir!

What do you not like about your mixes at the moment? Without knowing that any recommendations you get are just going to be people telling you what piece of gear they personally use or like (or are trying to flog), which probably won't help you a great deal.
Well I'm quite happy with my mixes actually! I was just wondering if you guys saw something crucial missing in that list, that I don't know about

Perhaps I should just book a holiday or something...
21st November 2009
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Tannoy Westminster Royal SE for reference mixing. and a Alesis RA500 Power Amplifier.
21st November 2009
Old 21st November 2009
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
I'd buy a nice converter
21st November 2009
Old 21st November 2009
Gear maniac

My set up is insanely similar!

(Logic, 8pre, MBP, Shure, Blondies)

Even down to the plug-ins!

I am saving up for a lunchbox with pre's, and an apogee converter!
21st November 2009
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

Why not get at least one top notch mic preamp?

Maybe a two channel converter like a Rosetta 200 would suit you. The older ones can be had on ebay for as low as $400.

Maybe an aopgee Track 2 - two decent pre's and two channels of great conversion.

If you're doing Nora jones John Mayer style stuff you could get away with having only two money channels anyway. Plus you can overdub with the money channels anyway.
21st November 2009
Old 21st November 2009
Lives for gear

The Elysia mPressor, the Softube CL-1B, the PLParEQ3 will change your sound ITB. These put everything in a whole new place ITB. Demo them if you don't believe me.

Edit: sorry PLParEQ3 is PC only and you're on the Mac side.
JPeters86
22nd November 2009
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelmossobrien View Post
Why not get at least one top notch mic preamp?

Maybe a two channel converter like a Rosetta 200 would suit you. The older ones can be had on ebay for as low as $400.

Maybe an aopgee Track 2 - two decent pre's and two channels of great conversion.

If you're doing Nora jones John Mayer style stuff you could get away with having only two money channels anyway. Plus you can overdub with the money channels anyway.
Thanks, I was thinking about buying an Apogee Duet, just to use for my own songs. I usually don't record more than two tracks at a time, and I still have the MOTU if I need to do that. Would that be a good choice? Will it really be a huge step forward?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
The Elysia mPressor, the Softube CL-1B, the PLParEQ3 will change your sound ITB. These put everything in a whole new place ITB. Demo them if you don't believe me.

Edit: sorry PLParEQ3 is PC only and you're on the Mac side.
I'll try those plugs, thanks.
22nd November 2009
Old 22nd November 2009
Gear Head

If you're happy with your mixes, then you should totally book that holiday. Alternatively buy some new music to listen to or get some singing/instrument lessons.

Heck that sort of talk might get me banned from this place..
JPeters86
22nd November 2009
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeyRhodes View Post
If you're happy with your mixes, then you should totally book that holiday. Alternatively buy some new music to listen to or get some singing/instrument lessons.

Heck that sort of talk might get me banned from this place..

Well I am happy, I think my mixes sound OK, and the people I mix for think the same. They're not on the same level though as the Norah Jones/Mark Knopfler stuff, but I don't really think it's reasonable to expect that given my gear and (lack of) experience, as I'm only 23.
22nd November 2009
Old 22nd November 2009
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
I'm looking for the next best thing to help me improve my recordings and mixes.
A couple of books and about 7000 hours of practice. You can throw a few hundred thousand at getting new hardware but it will not make up for a lack of knowledge and practical experience.

I'd recommend you get your ass into your room and practice. When you're waiting for backups, read about some theory... like "head room" and why it is a good thing... "phase shift" and "phase distortion" and how to use them to your advantage... learn about how each piece of equipment you have actually works. Understand "clocking", understand how microphone capsules are built, understand how tubes work, how transistors work, how a capacitor works and the difference in their composition.

Granted its not as much fun as buying the next piece of "latest and greatest" but it will absolutely help you avoid posts like the one you made that started this thread and help you understand how to better apply the tools you have while you develop your ears, style and sense of aesthetic.

Trade in your "GAS" for "KAS" [Knowledge Acquisition Syndrome] and the gear will take care of itself.

Make sense?
22nd November 2009
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
A couple of books and about 7000 hours of practice. You can throw a few hundred thousand at getting new hardware but it will not make up for a lack of knowledge and practical experience.

I'd recommend you get your ass into your room and practice. When you're waiting for backups, read about some theory... like "head room" and why it is a good thing... "phase shift" and "phase distortion" and how to use them to your advantage... learn about how each piece of equipment you have actually works. Understand "clocking", understand how microphone capsules are built, understand how tubes work, how transistors work, how a capacitor works and the difference in their composition.

Granted its not as much fun as buying the next piece of "latest and greatest" but it will absolutely help you avoid posts like the one you made that started this thread and help you understand how to better apply the tools you have while you develop your ears, style and sense of aesthetic.

Trade in your "GAS" for "KAS" [Knowledge Acquisition Syndrome] and the gear will take care of itself.

Make sense?
JPeters86
22nd November 2009
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

Make sense?
Thanks Fletcher. This is exactly what I was talking about in my previous post.
22nd November 2009
Old 22nd November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
Thanks. The thing is that if I want to take the OTB route, I need something to replace my MOTU. It doesn't have analog outs. I'm not sure yet if I really want to go OTB and if my budget allows.
if you go OTB you can invest about 30k to do it properly (telling from what you have now). otherwise you will sound much better staying ITB.
there is no point in gong OTB if its not shit hot analog that your feeding. so i would stay in the box personally. but i would certainly upgrade preamps and converters if id be you. probable get a good preamp with build in converters for instance.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search