Dangerous D Box with Sub-Par Power Amp?
New Reply
Subscribe
TheFirstThird
2nd November 2009
Old 2nd November 2009
Gear nut

Dangerous D Box with Sub-Par Power Amp?

I am strongly considering buying a Dangerous D Box, but only have a fairly crappy Samson Power Amp for my Passive Tannoy Reveals. Will this limitation make such a great D/A tool somewhat useless? Upgrade amp first?
2nd November 2009
Old 2nd November 2009
Gear Head

How do the tannoys sound with your current DAC? I dont think your DBOX would be a "worthless" improvement, but eventually you should upgrade your power amp.
3rd November 2009
Old 3rd November 2009
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFirstThird View Post
I am strongly considering buying a Dangerous D Box, but only have a fairly crappy Samson Power Amp for my Passive Tannoy Reveals. Will this limitation make such a great D/A tool somewhat useless? Upgrade amp first?
What device is feeding the amp? Given my experience with the DBOX, I'd bet you'd see an improvement with your current setup. You might consider the DA a palpable upgrade, but don't forget about the better analog components after it. With better components in the signal path, feeding your speakers, the benefits could be noticeable.

adam@dspdoctor.com

My Personal Web Page
TheFirstThird
3rd November 2009
Old 3rd November 2009
Gear nut

Thanks guys... Setup is a MacBookPro / PT8 / Standard 002R / Samson Amp / Passive Tannoy Reveals (w/ Banana Cables)... I know that eventually I'll be upgrading the amp, because it seems to fizzle out when output volume is very low (common problem with crappy power amps???) .. I have the mixing of a project coming up though, and The D box seems like it would provide me more of a clarity boost than simply buying a new amp... It's just hard to make the decision without being able to A/B all the different combinations first. Leaning towards the D Box though... Any thoughts on Amps? Crown D45 has caught my eye.
3rd November 2009
Old 3rd November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks guys... Setup is a MacBookPro / PT8 / Standard 002R / Samson Amp / Passive Tannoy Reveals (w/ Banana Cables)... I know that eventually I'll be upgrading the amp, because it seems to fizzle out when output volume is very low (common problem with crappy power amps???) .. I have the mixing of a project coming up though, and The D box seems like it would provide me more of a clarity boost than simply buying a new amp... It's just hard to make the decision without being able to A/B all the different combinations first. Leaning towards the D Box though... Any thoughts on Amps? Crown D45 has caught my eye.
I wouldn't fret mixing ITB for your mix session. I have done every mix on a stock 002r and yielded great results. The power amp would be a cheaper option for sure, and is actually the route i would go given your situation and the symptoms you describe. I've seen the yamaha P-series used extensively in pro studio applications.. check them out! Cheap too!
3rd November 2009
Old 3rd November 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Any thoughts on Amps? Crown D45 has caught my eye.
I have a D45, sounds nice compared to my Bedini, Parasound, and QSC amps. Not a lot of watts, just enough for nearfield mixing.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search