you won't ****ing believe this
toolskid
Thread Starter
#1
22nd September 2005
Old 22nd September 2005
  #1
Moderator
 
toolskid's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
you won't ****ing believe this

unreal...

I was on a plane 2 days ago coming back from ireland to london, I had my ipod on, and switched it to a new track (Gorecki..you'd think it would be safe...) it froze and became completely unresponsive, but the screen remained on and it started whirring ominously... the plane was just about to take off, and I was trying to turn it off to no avail!!! This was only slightly irritating as I had a tedious flight to look forward to now..BUT.. it got a lot worse.. I put it in my pocket and thought no more about it for a few minutes until I noticed a very warm sensation in my jeans... It was getting hotter...and hotter...and HOTTER, I started to smell burning and immediately got some ice from a stewardess and packed it in a plastic bag around the evil device!! It was seriously hot at this stage, luckily the ice helped and it burnt/shorted itself out...

I'd had it four days......

I have no idea whether the battery actually would have combusted or exploded, but I'm glad I didnt get a chance to find out, especially on a flight....

anyone else had this shit?
#2
22nd September 2005
Old 22nd September 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
everybody's x's Avatar
 

good thing you weren't in the US, you'd be in guantanimo bay right now with jumper cables on your scrotum


"THE IPOD BOMBER, on the next O'reilly factor"
#3
22nd September 2005
Old 22nd September 2005
  #3
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
I was on a plane 2 days ago coming back from ireland to london, I had my ipod on, and switched it to a new track (Gorecki..you'd think it would be safe...) it froze and became completely unresponsive, but the screen remained on and it started whirring ominously... the plane was just about to take off, and I was trying to turn it off to no avail!!!
Ya know, they tell you to turn all electronic items off during take off and landing for a reason!

I just never thought it was because they could turn into bombs...
#4
22nd September 2005
Old 22nd September 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
De chromium cob's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
unreal...

I was on a plane 2 days ago coming back from ireland to london, I had my ipod on, and switched it to a new track (Gorecki..you'd think it would be safe...) it froze and became completely unresponsive, but the screen remained on and it started whirring ominously... the plane was just about to take off, and I was trying to turn it off to no avail!!! This was only slightly irritating as I had a tedious flight to look forward to now..BUT.. it got a lot worse.. I put it in my pocket and thought no more about it for a few minutes until I noticed a very warm sensation in my jeans... It was getting hotter...and hotter...and HOTTER, I started to smell burning and immediately got some ice from a stewardess and packed it in a plastic bag around the evil device!! It was seriously hot at this stage, luckily the ice helped and it burnt/shorted itself out...

I'd had it four days......

I have no idea whether the battery actually would have combusted or exploded, but I'm glad I didnt get a chance to find out, especially on a flight....

anyone else had this shit?
So there's no way to easily take the battery out of those things to shut it off? Is it a internal rechargeable only?
#5
22nd September 2005
Old 22nd September 2005
  #5
Lives for gear
 
cdog's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
good thing you weren't in the US, you'd be in guantanimo bay right now with jumper cables on your scrotum


"THE IPOD BOMBER, on the next O'reilly factor"

OMG, sick, sad, funny, true.
#6
22nd September 2005
Old 22nd September 2005
  #6
Lives for gear
 

gorecki is a hot track
i'm sorry that happened to you. be safe.

#7
22nd September 2005
Old 22nd September 2005
  #7
Gear maniac
 
David Lee's Avatar
 

Next thing you know, you'll be handing over your ipod at the security checkpoints along with lighters and switchblades.

Oh great...if i had to suffer through one flight without my ipod i think i'd just jump mid flight...
#8
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #8
Gear nut
 
SoundCampaign's Avatar
 

Actually yes that has happend to me twice in the last 8 months...Same exact thing as you in that it would not shut off (completely frozen) and it was making a sound and getting hotter and hotter! I left it alone and it eventually unfroze and was all better...

Pretty weird and I need to take it to the mac store to see what the hell happened
#9
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #9
Thats MAD!
#10
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #10
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
good thing you weren't in the US, you'd be in guantanimo bay right now with jumper cables on your scrotum


"THE IPOD BOMBER, on the next O'reilly factor"


Hahahahaha!

That was funny! True, but funny.
#11
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
max cooper's Avatar
 

A four day old product like that should net a refund/replacement.

Damn consumer electronics.
#12
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #12
Lives for gear
 
absrec's Avatar
 

I thought you were about to say "then the landing gear screwed up!" Sorry... different flight!
#13
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #13
Gear interested
 

Have you tried using it again?


no seriously! The other week I took the wireless network card (PCMCIA) out of my laptop and put it in the my back pocket and forgot about it...


4 days later I couldn't find it... i had no idea where it was then remember it was in my jeans...

I found my jeans nicely washed and hanging on the clothes line must've thrown them in the wash without thinking about it...

It was still in my back pocket... i putted it out stuck it in my laptop and it still works
#14
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #14
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

that sucks.
#15
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #15
Lives for gear
 
2leod's Avatar
 

On a side note...

Teacher Arrested

At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to be a public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while in possession of a ruler, a protractor, a setsquare and a calculator. At a morning press conference, Attorney general John Ashcroft said he believes the man is a member of the notorious al-gebra movement. He is being charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.

Al-gebra is a fearsome cult," Ashcroft said. "They desire average solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a search of absolute value. They use secret code names like 'x' and 'y' and refer to themselves as 'unknowns', but we have determined they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country. As the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, 'there are 3 sides to every triangle'."

When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "If God had wanted us to have better weapons of math instruction, He would have given us more fingers and toes."
#16
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Donald Rumsfeld is giving the president his daily briefing.
He concludes by saying: "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed."


"OH NO!" the President exclaims. "That's terrible!"


His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as the President sits, head in hands.


Finally, the President looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion?"
#17
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #17
500 series nutjob
 
pan60's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
Donald

Finally, the President looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion?"
#18
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #18
Lives for gear
 
severe's Avatar
 

Sorry to hear about your situation there, toolskid. Good to hear you came out unscathed. Seems your unfortunate circumstance has led to one of the funniest threads I've read in a while.
#19
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
Donald Rumsfeld is giving the president his daily briefing.
He concludes by saying: "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed."


"OH NO!" the President exclaims. "That's terrible!"


His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as the President sits, head in hands.


Finally, the President looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion?"

Hahahahaha

Great! Joke of the night!
#20
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #20
Moderator
 
matt thomas's Avatar
 

whoah thats crazy, supprised they didn't make an emergency landing actually.

i don't own an ipod, but couldn't you just take the battery out? no power = no heat

narco
#21
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #21
Lives for gear
 
cajonezzz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
unreal...

I noticed a very warm sensation in my jeans...

Tools! you've reached PUBERTY buddy! congrats!


( bout time)
#22
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #22
One with big hooves
 
Jay Kahrs's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
Donald Rumsfeld is giving the president his daily briefing.
He concludes by saying: "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed."


"OH NO!" the President exclaims. "That's terrible!"


His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as the President sits, head in hands.


Finally, the President looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I almost scalded myself with hot tea!
#23
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #23
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
good thing you weren't in the US, you'd be in guantanimo bay right now with jumper cables on your scrotum


"THE IPOD BOMBER, on the next O'reilly factor"

toolskid
Thread Starter
#24
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #24
Moderator
 
toolskid's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I hate you all

especially Jules' forced avatar change!!



ROFL

HAAHAAAHAHAHAHAHAAH

nice one
#25
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #25
Gear Head
 
tnelson494's Avatar
 

Between this thread and Michael's berhinger joke I'm gett'n nothin done today . My wife's gonna wounder why I'm smirk'n all day Ha Ha.
#26
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #26
Gear Guru
 
Sounds Great's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by narco
whoah thats crazy, supprised they didn't make an emergency landing actually.

i don't own an ipod, but couldn't you just take the battery out? no power = no heat

narco
That's the first thing I thought. I had this with a TV remote control. It was getting very hot, quickly took out the batteries. They were hot!

But I think some how the batteries themself were shorted because I put them back in after they cooled off and it was fine after that.
DDD
#27
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #27
DDD
Gear nut
 

That pushed me over the edge...I gotta have one...3d
#28
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Now isn't it a good thing Apple doesn't make airplanes and Microsoft doesn't do aerospace navigation systems. Phew!
#29
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #29
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwayne
Donald Rumsfeld is giving the president his daily briefing.
He concludes by saying: "Yesterday, 3 Brazilian soldiers were killed."


"OH NO!" the President exclaims. "That's terrible!"


His staff sits stunned at this display of emotion, nervously watching as the President sits, head in hands.


Finally, the President looks up and asks, "How many is a brazillion?"
OK- that one goes into heavy rotation

Then theres the 82 year old grandmother in Detroit who wasn't allowed to bring a ball of yarn onto a plane. Authorities were afraid she might knit an Afghan.
#30
23rd September 2005
Old 23rd September 2005
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolskid
unreal...

I was on a plane 2 days ago coming back from ireland to london, I had my ipod on, and switched it to a new track (Gorecki..you'd think it would be safe...) it froze and became completely unresponsive, but the screen remained on and it started whirring ominously... the plane was just about to take off, and I was trying to turn it off to no avail!!! This was only slightly irritating as I had a tedious flight to look forward to now..BUT.. it got a lot worse.. I put it in my pocket and thought no more about it for a few minutes until I noticed a very warm sensation in my jeans... It was getting hotter...and hotter...and HOTTER, I started to smell burning and immediately got some ice from a stewardess and packed it in a plastic bag around the evil device!! It was seriously hot at this stage, luckily the ice helped and it burnt/shorted itself out...

I'd had it four days......

I have no idea whether the battery actually would have combusted or exploded, but I'm glad I didnt get a chance to find out, especially on a flight....

anyone else had this shit?

Hi

My best (and uneducated on ipod things) guess is that the ipod was atempting to draw huge amounts of current off the batteries... I can't imagine why but MTBF (minimm time before failure) and Murphy's law states that a fault will most likely occur soon after manufacture (because of a manufacture fault) or a long time after manufacture (because it's worn out).

Your ipod may have had a loose wire or something that created the short and then the battery is supposed to supply infinite curent, whch it can't do, and gets bloody hot in the process.

Sounds like a replacement ipod under warranty is due...

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Metatone / High end
14
the1Hub / Music Computers
0
buddy holly / Geekslutz forum
1
stampen / So much gear, so little time!
7
BevvyB / The Moan Zone
6

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.