Login / Register
 
Could you run a studio with only dynamic mics?
New Reply
Subscribe
Robert Randolph
Thread Starter
#1
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,290

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to Robert Randolph
Robert Randolph is offline
Could you run a studio with only dynamic mics?

Wondering if anyone thinks they could do it... or if there are people who do it, and which mics they use?

Im assuming ribbons are a form of dynamic mic in this discussion (as they are).
#2
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #2
Lives for gear
 
camus's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,083

camus is offline
Try recording to Protools with nothing but dynamic mics on all sources. Goodbye fake tape sim plugins.

I would be quite happy with a compliment of just 441s, 431s, 421s (vintage), M88s, RE20s, RE15/16s, 201s, SM7s and 635As. Throw in a ribbon or two for room/ambient micing and I'm golden.
__________________
"There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."
-Bob's Mom
#3
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #3
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,869
My Recordings/Credits

RCM - Ronan is offline
Not sure that I would want to run a studio with only dynamics but I could absolutely make records I was very proud of with nothing but dynamics.
__________________
Ronan Chris Murphy (King Crimson, Steve Morse, Ulver, Terry Bozzio, Tay Zonday, Jamie Walters, Chucho Valdes...)

6-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, March 3-8, 2014
2-day Recording Boot Camp in LOS ANGELES, March 15-16, 2014
6-day Recording Boot Camp in a Villa in North ITALY, June 2-7, 2014

#4
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #4
Lives for gear
 
waxx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Ghent, Belgium
Posts: 1,406

waxx is offline
i suerly use more dynamics than condensors when close micing, but condensors are handy for room or orchestra micing, sometimes also for overheads.

but ribbons and coil dynamics are essential. I couldn't record without, without condensors i did already and it worked for that session.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
To me, overproduction means throwing away what's right in a herculean effort to achieve a recording having nothing wrong.
http://www.urgent.fm
#5
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #5
Lives for gear
 
larry b's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Ypsilanti, Michigan
Posts: 1,520

Send a message via AIM to larry b
larry b is offline
It depends on what you mean by "run a studio".

If you mean as an experiment just for fun or as an artistic choice, then yes, it is certainly possible.

If you are asking if the idea is commercially viable, i.e. if a studio would pick up clients and/or do competitive work with an all-dynamic mic locker, i would say its less than likely.
__________________
(after a train wreck take):
(producer/talkback mic)
"Did anyone hurt themselves?"


Kinetic Sound Recording Studio

Website coming soon!
Robert Randolph
Thread Starter
#6
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,290

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to Robert Randolph
Robert Randolph is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry b View Post
It depends on what you mean by "run a studio".

If you mean as an experiment just for fun or as an artistic choice, then yes, it is certainly possible.

If you are asking if the idea is commercially viable, i.e. if a studio would pick up clients and/or do competitive work with an all-dynamic mic locker, i would say its less than likely.
I'm not asking 'if it could be done', I'm asking if YOU could do it, and how you would do it.

I know it can be done. There is a relatively busy studio in the area that's doing it.
#7
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #7
Gear Guru
 
John Eppstein's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA.
Posts: 13,986

John Eppstein is online now
Sure!
#8
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #8
Gear maniac
 
metalfan8806's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 245

metalfan8806 is offline
may i ask why? just curious as to whether you actually want to pursue this as an option...or just starting conversation...
__________________
-Jonathan


....Turn down the suck knob on that Crate!
#9
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,454
My Recordings/Credits

cyjanopan is offline
Yesterday I recorded hardcore concert with only dynamics/ribbons, sounds great to me. But I used good mics anyway : Beyers M160, Beyers M201, Sennheiser MD441, EV RE20, D112 and SM57.
Robert Randolph
Thread Starter
#10
28th October 2009
Old 28th October 2009
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,290

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to Robert Randolph
Robert Randolph is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfan8806 View Post
may i ask why? just curious as to whether you actually want to pursue this as an option...or just starting conversation...
Both actually. I have a varied collection of decent mics, but I find myself using condensers in general much less. I work totally ITB and dynamics just really make things easier to work with. Everything has a place, but it not everyone is everywhere at once

I'd be very interested if there were folks out there doing relatively substantial work (making a living) just with dynamic mics.
#11
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Seamus TM's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,926

Seamus TM is offline
I would love to.
Oddly enough, the only thing I use condensers for (sometimes) is guitar amps.
#12
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #12
Gear nut
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 132

Vanman4254 is offline
I dont know why you would want to use only dynamics. Just make sure that the shure sm7b is on that list and you should be doing ok for yourself.
#13
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #13
Gear Guru
 
AllAboutTone's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: South
Posts: 12,770

AllAboutTone is offline
Only weakness would be the vocals.
#14
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #14
Lives for gear
 
dysenterygary's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Central, IL
Posts: 1,142

dysenterygary is offline
if you inlude ribbons like you say you would, then yes w/out a doubt you could run a studio w/only dynamic mics. If you told a client all you had for overheads was a lousy pair of Coles 4038's I don't think you'd lose much business
#15
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #15
Lives for gear
 
rty5150's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: LR,AR
Posts: 2,855

rty5150 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Wondering if anyone thinks they could do it... or if there are people who do it, and which mics they use?

Im assuming ribbons are a form of dynamic mic in this discussion (as they are).
sure, some studios have receptionists and they don't give a damn what mics are in the locker!

honestly, though, i couldn't! then again i have option anxiety and love to tinker with mics/pres/comps. like a little kid i am!
__________________
rich

#16
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #16
Lives for gear
 
12ax7's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,999

12ax7 is offline
Sure!

Hey, those who really "know their onions" could do so with nothing but 57s if they had to!

#17
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #17
Lives for gear
 
malaclypse's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Austin
Posts: 763

malaclypse is offline
i love dynamic mics. i usually only use condensers for vox, but i'd be happy just doing it with an sm7 or re20. everything else is ribbons(fatheads) or moving coil dynamics.
__________________
#18
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #18
Gear interested
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 21

AndrewHutchinson is offline
I didn't get my first condenser until I had been recording myself and my friends for 5+ years, including one album that I'm actually proud of. All you need is a good performance... and, maybe a few U47's, a 670 and a Neve desk.
#19
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #19
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,479

DarkSky Media is offline
Yes, it could be done. Yes I could do it, FWIW. But I wouldn't choose to.

Also, doing this could lead to an unhealthier reliance on EQ than would be needed in a studio that had a more well-rounded mic cabinet. JMO.
#20
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #20
Lives for gear
 
A LaMere's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,149

A LaMere is offline
... and we're including ribbons as 'dynamics'?? hell yes...

R84 on acoustics...

Coles 4038 on overheads...

Ribbon on vocals...
A few sm57, at least one SM7 and some other decent dynamic choices around...

I'll be honest..
It'd be a fun tryout.

I think the only thing that I'd miss about condensers would be the ability to add that really fast transient, immedicacy that they provide... I tend to like a good 'mixture' when arranging... a decent amount of fast, immediate elements and slow as well..
a good mix of dark with light and mid-range to provide the proper balance...

Ribbons can do a great 'bright' so.. I think I MIGHT just miss the 'FAST' sound that condensers sometimes give instantly..
but... maybe not?? who knows??

Sometimes a figure 8 mic provides that same FAST feeling with the added bonus of having a bit of AIR.
__________________
www.myspace.com/aaronlamere
#21
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #21
Lives for gear
 
A LaMere's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,149

A LaMere is offline
It's after reading back posts like my last one that I begin to think I'm spending too much time on this damn site and not enough time actually MAKING MUSIC.

Sometimes.. the stuff that comes out of my mouth sounds stupid.. even to me..
and I'm the one that said it??!!!!
Dan
#22
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #22
Dan
Lives for gear
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,676

Send a message via AIM to Dan
Dan is offline
No. That would be silly. Not because it's not possible, but because you need every advantage you can take to run a studio. Why give anyone a reason to not come to a studio?
__________________
Stay classy, planet Earth.
#23
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
vernier's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 6,367

vernier is offline
Quote:
Could you run a studio with only dynamic mics?
I think the studio would go under.
#24
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #24
Lives for gear
 
baslotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 758

baslotto is online now
It's like asking: can an artist "base his career" on the colors black and white?

NO WAY!
#25
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #25
Lives for gear
 
baslotto's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 758

baslotto is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
No. That would be silly. Not because it's not possible, but because you need every advantage you can take to run a studio. Why give anyone a reason to not come to a studio?
Not come to a studio because they don't own condensers???
As an artist I would follow the recording engineer tracking techniques, whatever sounds good.

Imagine if a singer was telling you to not use an SM7b because he knows "condensers" sound better on vocals?

As an engineer you are supposed to use whatever sounds the best to your personal taste in that moment on that source, not the cliché standard.
Robert Randolph
Thread Starter
#26
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Robert Randolph's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Posts: 1,290

Thread Starter
Send a message via AIM to Robert Randolph
Robert Randolph is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
No. That would be silly. Not because it's not possible, but because you need every advantage you can take to run a studio. Why give anyone a reason to not come to a studio?
So every studio should own 100+ consoles, run cubase, protools, logic, dp, sonar etc... and have at least 20 rooms of varying sizes with interchangable lighting, ceiling height etc.. Along with every engineer on earth just dying to get in? I'm sure even then there'd be people who want to record somewhere else.

People can find any reason they want to not go into a studio. We all make choices that limit what we 'can do', but we still manage to do exactly what we need anyways.
#27
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #27
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 3,479

DarkSky Media is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
No. That would be silly. Not because it's not possible, but because you need every advantage you can take to run a studio. Why give anyone a reason to not come to a studio?
So every studio should own 100+ consoles, run cubase, protools, logic, dp, sonar etc... and have at least 20 rooms of varying sizes with interchangable lighting, ceiling height etc...
Umm - nope. That would be at least equally silly.

Actually it might be sillier.

Three of the many things you can do wrong:

1. Not enough choices (eg only dynamic mics)
2. Too many choices (eg everything under the Sun)
3. The wrong choices.

I'm afraid there are a lot of ways to be silly, and several ways to be sillier than silly. You seem to have managed to hit upon more than one of them in this thread.

Meanwhile, there are only a limited number of ways to run a successful studio, and while it's essential, "silliness" (of a very specific nature, perhaps) is only a relatively small part of the formula.
#28
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Joram's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,021

Send a message via Skype™ to Joram
Joram is offline
I personally wouldn't book a studio with only dynamic and ribbon mics.
#29
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #29
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,618

Happy Musicfan is offline
Question : Does anyone know of an affordable dynamic microphone which is sensitive & with a wide frequency response (relative to other dynamic mics) that actually *could* be used as a substitute for a condenser mic ? We all know that one of the (few) drawbacks of condenser mics is their faithful reproduction of bad room acoustics, their need for phantom power, their size and fragility. -------- It sure would be nice to go solely with dynamic mics.
#30
29th October 2009
Old 29th October 2009
  #30
Lives for gear
 
steelyfan's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,081

steelyfan is offline
sure.
You can record a guitar amp with a sm57, then change to a beta58 and people think you've changed the mic/preamp/room/amp.

So sure. There's still plenty of colors to catch with dynamics.
__________________
Oh no, I like both kinds of music.......Country and Western.



Music I'm working on here:
http://www.myspace.com/eucalyptuspond

Paintings:
http://shannonjsimmons.wordpress.com/
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
heisleyamor / So much gear, so little time!
32
Elk / So much gear, so little time!
0
ozramidi / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
3

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.