Have you ever bought a mic via www?
New Reply
Subscribe
Han
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Have you ever bought a mic via www?

Ebay and sites like that, in the Netherlands we have a site called 'Marktplaats' (marketplace) where hundreds of microphones are offered.

Last week someone had bought an MD441 that didn't work properly. A 441 goes for 300/400 and if it doesn't work like it should you're in trouble. The Sennheiser shop will repair it for you, but in the end you might end up with a second hand microphone that costs more than a brand new one.

I have bought a number of vintage microhones from the internet but always tried them before I bought them. There are many threads on the forums about microphones that didn't work and almost always there is no way back.

What are your experiences?

So stop worrying about the little things, there is no perfect system. But tape still sounds better.

And btw, good tape doesn't sound like tape - it just doesn't sound digital.

www.beaufortstudio.com
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
Gear Head

• Always be skeptical.
  • Ask the seller as many questions as your curiosity demands.
  • Go with your gut.
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
Gear nut

I've gotten burned a few times with used, microphone purchases from Ebay. As such, today, I only buy from reliable (i.e. 100% feedback) sellers or those in the continual business of selling microphones (they know exactly what they're selling, they know how to pack, etc.). It's better if you can hear the mic, beforehand--via a sound file (so you can hear the approximate tonality of the mic) or better yet: audition/record the mic in person! More often than not, I haven't gotten burned from used mic purchases, and every purchase is a learning experience. Good luck!
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
p@t
Gear interested

I got burned once. Not for much though. I found this Telefunken V76 for 1100 USD. Eventually he wanted to sell it to me for 750, which was kind of strange to begin with. He wanted an international wire, but I insisted on paypal. The guy claimed to have 'problems' with his paypal account and asked me to cancel the payment. Good thing about paypal is that if you have a dispute they will take care of things. I got my money back in 10 days (minus 13 bucks expenses or something), so that wasn't bad

As for mics. I just found a U47 on ebay for 5900 USD. Sounded reasonable - cheap even. Upon closer investigation it was a rebuild. Made by a company called Telefunken Elektroakustik (German spelling) which is located in Conneticut USA and has nothing to do with the old German factory. It was a replica...

My advice, keep a very close eye on the description, and make sure that you pay through paypal or something alike. No internation wires people!! You can not get the money creditted once you do an international wire!!
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

I visit the many recording forums for some ten years now and too many times I've read about guys who bought a microphone from someone via ebay and such. And too many times the mic turned out broken. Dissapointment of course and most of the times the guy had spent his entire mic budget on an old MD421 or some other vintage mic.

I hope this thread turns out to be a warning for those who think they can get a bargain on the internet.

I bought two AKG D12E's from a music store in 1993 or 1994, worked very well at first sight, but when I used them in two equal kickdrums I found out that the one had a significant more low end than the other. By that time there were parts available that are no longer to find these days. So I went to the AKG importer and it turned out that there was a dent in the diaphragm. The mic got a new capsule for some Dfl 250 and it still works great today.

Buying a second hand microphone is a very risky business, so be warned. Old mics like the U47 is even more risky, a whole lot of money is involved and there are very few really good U47's on the market anyway. Most of them have had the soldering iron inside for many times, VF14's are replaced by nuvistors or EF14's and only a couple or even only a single one will sound like a U47 should.

Get a new Neumann and be happy with it, very few people will be able to hear the difference between an M49 and an M149 in a double blind test for example.
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to larry b
I got a mint condition C414XL-II for $425 on eBay a year or so ago. I was actually prepared to be burned, based on how shady the auction looked. It wasa stock photo of the C414 with very little description, and the seller had maybe 30 feedback. Call me crazy, but i went for it, thinking there was maybe a 50% chance i was actually going to get a working C414XL-II.

Lo and behold, a week later a nearly brand new XL-II with the case and all the accessories showed up at my doorstep. I took it over to my studio, hooked it up, and it works wonderfully! Score!

Kids, dont try that at home.

Kinetic Sound Recording Studio

Website coming soon!
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

All the cautions apply, but I've had good luck buying mics over the internet. In the last couple of years alone I've purchased 3-SM81, 1-Royer r121, 1-Schoeps CMCmk4, 1-EVRE20, 5-Sennheiser E935 and 2-Sony ECM50ps. Some from Ebay some from GS classifieds.
All were in excellent condition and were very good values.
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
Gear Guru

bought my favorite mic ever on e-bay, through a high end seller at a studio in nashville.

awesome!.....i paid $325 for this used mic - which was mint - you can buy them new for over $700.

the seller was a prince of a guy.

i've had ONLY success buying on ebay - maybe i'm an exception?

good luck.

Studio Cat i7 + RME UFX + Linkwitz Orions + Tyler Acoustics Linbrooks + Buzz Audio ARC + GT-67 + Sonar + Komplete + Omnisphere-Trilian-Stylus + Symphobia + Mo-Tone Custom Tele
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear nut

Hi Han,

I'm Dutch and I use Marktplaats to buy microphones. My experiences are mixed. Most dynamic mics offered on Marktplaats are ex-rental and not worth buying, but I bought some cool dynamic mics from private sellers that were in good cosmetic condition and worked 100%. But I also bought some mics impulsively and ended up being very disappointed.
Nowadays I'm very careful before I buy.

Condensors, tube mics or ribbons I will not buy online without checking them out thoroughly, even if it means driving to the seller's house with a Sound Devices field mixer and a pair of headphones. Better spend some money on petrol than on mic repairs!

Peet
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by peet View Post
Hi Han,

I'm Dutch and I use Marktplaats to buy microphones. My experiences are mixed. Most dynamic mics offered on Marktplaats are ex-rental and not worth buying, but I bought some cool dynamic mics from private sellers that were in good cosmetic condition and worked 100%. But I also bought some mics impulsively and ended up being very disappointed.
Nowadays I'm very careful before I buy.

Condensors, tube mics or ribbons I will not buy online without checking them out thoroughly, even if it means driving to the seller's house with a Sound Devices field mixer and a pair of headphones. Better spend some money on petrol than on mic repairs!

Peet
+ 1, good MO. I check the "2dehands" website (Belgium and Holland) on a daily basis. I only deal with private users in person, and I always insist on testing the mic. So far I've gotten a 421, a 441 and a MD-21 out of it, all for good prices.
Han
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

I'm glad to see that there are guys here with good experiences!

@ Peet: that's exactly how I do that, bring your portable mixer or micpre and a good pair of cans and so I've bought a pair of Beyer M260 ribbons in excellent condition, one of them brand new from a colllector, 40 years old but never used. And I've bought a pair of rare AKG D14's.

But..............The Netherlands is a very small country and so is Belgium. England is much bigger and the US, don't get me started. Getting to the seller by car in order to examine the mic might not be an option.
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Lives for gear

3 years ago,I rolled the dice on a Stephen Paul modded U-87 on eBay and I was lucky the deal worked out ok.Cost me some $$$ via bank check though....I won't be making that type of risk again.I just lusted badly for that mic having recently hearing and then seeing one.It sounds really nice.
26th October 2009
Old 26th October 2009
Gear addict

My only online mic purchase has been here at gs funnily enough (a happy purchase I must say)
27th October 2009
Old 27th October 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Han View Post
I'm glad to see that there are guys here with good experiences!

@ Peet: that's exactly how I do that, bring your portable mixer or micpre and a good pair of cans and so I've bought a pair of Beyer M260 ribbons in excellent condition, one of them brand new from a colllector, 40 years old but never used. And I've bought a pair of rare AKG D14's.

But..............The Netherlands is a very small country and so is Belgium. England is much bigger and the US, don't get me started. Getting to the seller by car in order to examine the mic might not be an option.
Another option is to find a dealer and establish a good business relationship. Start with buying cheap items and if that goes well move on to the more expensive stuff. There are a lot of dodgy dealers out there, so it pays to be careful. I've had some very bad experiences with so called "pro audio dealers", but there are good ones out there as well.

Peet
27th October 2009
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Guru

I bought a u67 off a fellow GS'r from overseas.
aside from getting completetly fvcked in extra shipping..
I ended up putting a bunch more money into to getting it sounding right.
its a nice mic now but not worth the hassle buying it that way
27th October 2009
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Nonjohn View Post
I've gotten burned a few times with used, microphone purchases from Ebay. As such, today, I only buy from reliable (i.e. 100% feedback) sellers or those in the continual business of selling microphones (they know exactly what they're selling, they know how to pack, etc.). It's better if you can hear the mic, beforehand--via a sound file (so you can hear the approximate tonality of the mic) or better yet: audition/record the mic in person! More often than not, I haven't gotten burned from used mic purchases, and every purchase is a learning experience. Good luck!
The one time I got really burned on Ebay it was from a regular mic dealer in Europe. I bought an original Echolette branded D12 from him that was "guaranteed checked out and working in good condition". When it arrived it turned out to have a 1/4 phone soldered onto the pigtail so poorly that the mic was totally shorted out so he could not possibly have tested it as he claimed. I soldered on an XLR and it worked but did not reallly sound right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p@t View Post
As for mics. I just found a U47 on ebay for 5900 USD. Sounded reasonable - cheap even. Upon closer investigation it was a rebuild. Made by a company called Telefunken Elektroakustik (German spelling) which is located in Conneticut USA and has nothing to do with the old German factory. It was a replica...

My advice, keep a very close eye on the description, and make sure that you pay through paypal or something alike. No internation wires people!! You can not get the money creditted once you do an international wire!!
Actually $5,900 is not a bad price for a Telefunken USA U-47; the new price is around $8,000. At the last SF AES show my old friend Dan Alexander (Dan Alexander Audio) was at the Telefunken booth conducting blind comparisons of new and old U-47s and ELA M251s - on both models of mic about 50% of those listening could not tell the difference between new and old and of those who claimed they could 50% liked the new ones better, so I'd say there really isn't a hell of a lot of difference. I would say that the term ""Reissue" is more correct than "replica" in this case.
27th October 2009
Old 27th October 2009
Gear addict

I bought a lot of mics on e-bay and other second hand sites. You need to be prepared to take a gamble if you want to buy vintage or used mics online. Key is a good understanding of the market and the products: what is a good or really good price, is the mic relatively vulnerable (ribbons!) and how reliable is the seller (research, communication, gut feeling). With higher priced mics I normally don't buy if there is no possibility to test and pick up in person.
So far I have only been burnt once (beyer m260 arrived broken).
Keep in mind you need to invest a considerable amount of time surfing the relevant sites on a regular basis to get the really good deals. If you're not prepared to do this or if your knowledge of (vintage) mics is not up to scratch, don't bother and buy new, there are many many great mics for incredible prices on the market these days...

Cheers,

Martijn
27th October 2009
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Guru

Unless you have a trusted tech to look the thing over,its all buyer beware/buy at own risk..which w/ a 10K U47 orr 18K elam is a big risk
27th October 2009
Old 27th October 2009
Gear Guru

Microphone's I've bought on Ebay :

AKG C12vr
AKG 310bt
Neumann M149
Neumann U87
Sony C37a
Beyer M201
Soundelux U99
Shure SM57 (several)
Groove Tubes MD1a
At 4047
At 4050
At 4051a (two)
AT 4060
EV nd308 (three)
Sennheiser E602
Sennheiser MD421
Sennheiser MD441
Gefell M582 with M71 Capsule
Gefell UM70

I'm sure I'll think of more. Never had a problem with any except one of the (new) SM57's and he sent me another immediately.
Oh, and the UM70 was faulty. Seller paid to have it sent to Germany and refurbished like brand new!

And I've bought many others from other places on the internet.

Ice in her eyes, frozen tears could never be a surprise
You can't erase a dream you can only wake me up
27th October 2009
Old 27th October 2009
Lives for gear

90% of EVERYTHING I buy comes from ebay. Ive only been burnt once and that was 7 years ago. As a buyer your ass is covered w/paypal now anyway. no need to be worried imo.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search