Query about connecting hardware to computer setup
hideout
23rd October 2009
Old 23rd October 2009
Gear interested

Query about connecting hardware to computer setup

Hi,
I am in the process of building a studio and starting off I will be doing everything on the computer due to financial constraints but...

In the future I envisage having a big mixer board (not sure whether analog or digital) and other processors and effects such as reverb and compressor - do compressors and the like usually connect into your soundcard via an analog connection or digital. What about latency - will this become a big problem and how do you normally deal with that?

Thanks.
23rd October 2009
Old 23rd October 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by hideout View Post
Hi,
I am in the process of building a studio and starting off I will be doing everything on the computer due to financial constraints but...

In the future I envisage having a big mixer board (not sure whether analog or digital) and other processors and effects such as reverb and compressor - do compressors and the like usually connect into your soundcard via an analog connection or digital. What about latency - will this become a big problem and how do you normally deal with that?

Thanks.
There's really way too many possibilities. You have to get an interface, which can be a soundcard, or something else. You have to decide what program you want to run. Some outboard gear has analog connections and some have digital connections. Some interfaces have analog and some have digital. Most have both. Latency with outboard gear, while tracking, isn't an issue. Electricity is fast! But there will be a little latency but not because of the outboard gear. Anyway, you have to make at least a couple decisions and decide on a budget.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search